gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  thinking of delving into a custom new school build-BOUGHT & BUILT
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: thinking of delving into a custom new school build-BOUGHT & BUILT  (Read 14440 times)

trickydeno

since i've been riding again i've stuck to old school rides up to now.but keep drooling over the new school exotica.i was thinking of a proper ttl or a fly pantera....but like the look of the kis dark frame & stylus forks(even though its not recommended for pegs) anyone ride any of these? any advice or recommendations of frames?
gonna be used mainly for park riding,with a little street use.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:50 PM by trickydeno »

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
I fancied a change a while ago and bought a Subrosa Pandora twin top tube for a bit of an old school look and tricked it up with a really good parts list. I'm really happy with the way it looks but i just can't get used toi riding it, the seat is just too low for my liking, its had a few outings mainly by my Son and sadly i don't think it will ever get used again :'(

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

trickydeno

yeah i remember seeing this ad,nice spec mate.i don't know whether to buy a good used new schooler to check it out first....before i go on a blow out for a top spec custom build.tempted at the mo though,they look the bolox & i would have thought easier to ride  :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
yeah i remember seeing this ad,nice spec mate.i don't know whether to buy a good used new schooler to check it out first....before i go on a blow out for a top spec custom build.tempted at the mo though,they look the bolox & i would have thought easier to ride  :daumenhoch:

step it up to mid school Rich... don't turn to the dark side yo  ;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
I fancied a change a while ago and bought a Subrosa Pandora twin top tube for a bit of an old school look and tricked it up with a really good parts list. I'm really happy with the way it looks but i just can't get used toi riding it, the seat is just too low for my liking, its had a few outings mainly by my Son and sadly i don't think it will ever get used again :'(

Adam

Sell it to me then Adam >:D

(sorry for the thread crash Rich........)
Still limping......

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:

My advice would be buy a good used one, as some of the more mid range new ones are pretty shite. I picked up my khe from spen and i titally love it, and recently got it on the scales, it checks in at 9.7 kilos

trickydeno

step it up to mid school Rich... don't turn to the dark side yo  ;D
;D  they gotta be smoother & much more solid to ride though ed..........the dark side looms  :LolLolLolLol:

trickydeno

yeah i think your right jaymz  :daumenhoch:  but the dark side is well worth it then  :LolLolLolLol:

just everytime i ride my old redline....i feel like i'm gonna snap it in 2  :) even though it does ride pretty nice.

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
the new school is a minefiels with all them crazy names stolen from my mothers slut  ;D etc, i have been watching a few on ebay which accordingly cost 1300 etc tobuild going for sort of 3-400 but i have no idea whats good from whats crap

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
lots of research is the key. and the dark is very much worth it

I first saw the khe ive got with spens fine ass on it, for me it was instant love [with the khe and not spens furry crack] Just by looking at it I knew i wanted it. I went home and researched like mad, read everything icould on the brand and the model, and it ticked every box i could think, all the erviews were favourable to it, which is rare for a complete, the only bad thing that croppped up time and time again was the KHE tires it wore from the factory, they were super lightweight and ripped/burst/punctured very easily. Since I knew i was going to add an element of old school to it with the amber wall tyres, i went for it.

Most of what ive read about ns completes there is always a downside, but parts are equal money to OS parts if not cheaper sometimes so upgrading is easy.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
S&M everytime for me....  :daumenhoch:

http://sandmbikes.com/

My current ride is built around an ATF frame...

2 minutes turkish...

trickydeno

nice  :daumenhoch: s & m do look top quality....but then most of em do  :-\

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Don't worry about it. Keep looking around till you see summat your really fancy, then give Dave at the RadShop a call and ask him what the warranty/returns are like on that particular frame/bike. If he reports no issues then jump in!

If you're coming from old to new, they're all going to feel a bit odd.

What's your budget?

mattuknc

I went new skool and also the Subrosa Pandorra dtt route.  :daumenhoch: The quality of some of these bikes is great. I'm looking at the Mankind Archangel next (possibly) just so I can have my initials in the frame! (mk)
Here's mine;

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

2012 united's are in the radshop tomorrow, get a complete then go from there, most new f&f and bar sets are £550 plus now, give dave stodge a shout

JT71

anything from any of the top brands is going to be good. just select the right top tube length and spec to fit your budget.

get along to one of the gatherings that are in the members events section and ask to try peoples bikes, most will willing let you.

It's all about your budget then.

the 2012 bikes are starting to hit the shops now so expect plenty of 2011 model bargains soon. :)

You could get a complete then upgrade bits as you go.

m1ke

ive got a khe barbados and its really low slung but rides spot on and is so light compared to my mid-school rides, goes to my nephew as a bday present next week though but im picking up a premium duo on thursday to replace it  8)

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
i built a new school bike 6 months ago for my brother who was coming from oz on holiday. got most of it from ebay and only cost about £235. felt rattlesnake frame £35 ebay
                    inertia street forks      £30 winstanleys
               odyssey twobolt cranks   £55 ebay
           the make damn bars (new) £30 ebay
           odyssey elementary stem   £30 ebay
profile ss front hub+primo rim        £25 ebay (bargain)
              dia-compe ad 999 (new)  £15 ebay
           salt pivotal seatpost (new) £15 ebay
i had a back wheel, levers, grips, seat and pedals spare. after my brother left i thought i'd try it out and now prefer it to my fly pantera that i've been riding for the last 4-5 years.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Just to bring this back on track,  the thread title says 'custom new school build'.

Now that means a minimum £1k spend.  Or the title is wrong.

With that in mind, it's all about firms you'd like to support and kit that's reliable and strong.

As I've previously said, all new school bikes are going to feel weird to an oldschooler. After all, they are very, very different....  Soooo... it actually doesn't matter what you buy first of all as you have no basis for comparison.  My first new bike when I returned to riding was a Condor. Not because they were good or I liked the way they rode, but because I wanted to support Mat in some way.

Remember, you can always change frames, they're only one component of many. Stems and bars can dramatically change the feel of a bike as well.

Now, after saying all that, you could buy a top end complete from a firm you like the look of and then spend a couple of quid tweaking it as time goes by. Would be a cheaper first step, but you're guaranteed not to like everything on that complete.

If you'd like a relatively safe first newschooler, get stodgy to build up his Hoffman B-RAD with new goodies.  Never heard a word against those frames. Beautifully built and the geometry seems bang on.  Road trip to the shop, spend the day annoying him while he builds it up   ;)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Custom build...get your cheque book out!

I recommended a We The People Versus 2010 to my mate recently and value for money, I think you'd struggle to get much better. You can get them as little as £300, may be even a bit less now, and the black and purple one looks sweet as! Or as TwoBob says, a Hoffman.

Daz  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

SaMAlex

United or Fit.

Like Rob said "it's all about firms you'd like to support", and what better than knowing the person who chose the spec, has been riding BMXs for 30+ years!

JT71

Rob makes a good point about the cost, someone asked what my bike cost a while back, i quickly totted up what I paid, which was way less that RRP for most bits, and it was over a grand.

:shocked:

you might not want to be getting into that sort of money for something you aren't sure about.

Alex probably makes a good point too, but he often kills threads, so I'm trying to ignore him.   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
What, Captain Chainstay?  Never.....................

SaMAlex

Oh, and since we are on a "moving from Old School -to- New School" topic, can I remind everyone that you CAN put the seat as high as you like.
Obviously Joe and Rob Know that already ..... I've seen their flag poles!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
You've seen my what?

I told you never to mention that in public.....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  thinking of delving into a custom new school build-BOUGHT & BUILT

gfxgfx
gfx gfx