gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing 3 piece crank bearings safely......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing 3 piece crank bearings safely......  (Read 958 times)

Offline spadey99

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Removing 3 piece crank bearings safely......
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Hi guys

I bought the Webco bike off Danny but want to use the Webco lovely chrome 3 piece crank on another build, I need to remove the sealed bearings from the B B but want to do it safely and with no damage...

Used google etc but just wanted to know what you lot think??? 3/4 extension bar with cloth on end and tap round?

Any tips is as always appreciated.......

Steve  :crazy2: :crazy2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:
Bikes are there to be ridden, so why do I have so many.....

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Removing 3 piece crank bearings safely......
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32 PM »
If your unsure take it to a bke shop, as they will have the correct tools.  :daumenhoch: I did,  as I was scared to remove myself  :-\

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:34 PM »
do what every body else does mate hammer and screwdriver  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

either use a big socket or a ratchet extension bar with a hammer, will come straight out with no marks  :daumenhoch:

Offline spadey99

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Hi Gtnumber1

just pm you.... So do the bearings come out of the carriers? And how do I get a extension bar in there with the spacer and which bit do I hit..... :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

nosepickben

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:03 PM »
A 3/4 extension bar will fit through the first bearing. The spacer tube should have just enough play in it to allow you to knock the inner face of the other bearing. If the spacer is tight, you need to dislodge it by jemmying it with a screwdriver a bit. Hit gently then move the spacer a quarter turn every few hits. Keep checking you work around, whether the bearing or cup is emerging from the bb shell and hit on the side thats still furthest in so the bits come out evenly. The spacer will get easier to move aside as the bearing comes further out. Once one side is out, the other is simple. If the bearings need tapping out of the cups afterwards, then open a vice to just over the diameter of the bearing thenpplace it upside down and tap the bearing down and out into the jaws

nosepickben

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Sometimes the bearing comes out of the cup as you knock the first side out, sometimes not. It depends which is the tightest fit. The job is best done on a solid bench or the floor with two good chunks of wood to support the frame.

Offline spadey99

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Thanks guys, good tips  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:04 AM »
do you live anywhere near Birmingham?  if so bring it down to Creation on Saturday evening and we will show you how to do it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing 3 piece crank bearings safely......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx