gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Problem fitting freewheel to hub
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Problem fitting freewheel to hub  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Problem fitting freewheel to hub
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:55 PM »
So, finally got around to finnishing my 1st wheel build, fookin ages that took  :shocked:
Now I've got a 16t Shimano Freel wheel and I'm trying to fit on a bullseye hub, the freewheel is going onto the hub about halfway and then is getting very very stiff, I've tried a little WD40 to help the bugger along but its not getting any easier, really don't want to force it incase i damage the hub. The thread pattern appears the same  ??? Any thoughts  :-\
Cheers
Al  :daumenhoch:

1mancity2

Re: Problem fitting freewheel to hub
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Sounds like muck in the threads, try spraying wd on the hub and using a wirebrush to clean the thread and then wd and a toothbrush on the inside of the freewheel.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:20 PM »
I'd be surprised if it were that, both free wheel & hubs are brand new out the box, anyho its raining and I've got nowt else to do so will crack on with that  :daumenhoch:

1mancity2

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:52 PM »
You putting any anti sieze grease on?

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Slapped a little on, didn't want to cake it though...

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Yep, you should always grease the threads before unstalling a freewheel anyway so you can get the fooka back off. Try winding it 3 turns forward, 1 back with loads of grease and it should go on no probs. Or wait till the bike's finished and pedal it on!
Still limping......

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Yep, you should always grease the threads before unstalling a freewheel anyway so you can get the fooka back off. Try winding it 3 turns forward, 1 back with loads of grease and it should go on no probs. Or wait till the bike's finished and pedal it on!

Think I may have been miss sold a freewheel, shimano yes but suitable for bmx..not so sure Model # SF-MX 30

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Shimano mx 30 is for bmx...  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Shimano mx 30 is for bmx...  :daumenhoch:

so why wont the fookin thing fit  :2gunsfiring_v1: ???

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:43 PM »
do you have any other freewheels you can try, so as to determine where the problem lies?

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:56 PM »
do you have any other freewheels you can try, so as to determine where the problem lies?

Just bought adicta freewheel on the bay, should be with me Saturday for that very reason mate...It's doing my head in to be honest, it going on far enough that i need a freewheel remover to get the bloody thing off but not far on that its clear of the hub.
This should be a fooking doodle, I tell ya this bike just does not want to be built  :2gunsfiring_v1: ;D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 04:27 PM »
if it's for riding i'd use the Dicta anyways........shimano ones are w@nk  :daumenhoch:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Had this before on a set up - seem to go on for about quarter then started to get stiff  ???

now if you look at the threads on each item you might find that they arte not the same in shape - this means that the freewheel thread is VVVVVVV and the hub thread is vvvvvvvv - now it may be the same size but if you look at it like joining teeth they don't fit neat - so as it goes on, the more it throws the matching teeth out of shape, and making it tighter to put on

so the best way i can think of is the get a old hub and put on the new freewheel and tighen it up (with undoing it every 3 turns and back up again ) this might cut the thread/teeth better for the bulleyes hub - if not try a old freewheel that works well on a old hub and try to put that on the Bullseye hub to soften the teeth/thread

hope it helps mate

cheers B  ;)

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Problem fitting freewheel to hub

gfxgfx
gfx gfx