gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975654 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 08, 2024, 07:53 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Videos  |  The Pool
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Pool  (Read 2433 times)

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
The Pool
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:49 PM »

Worth a watch :daumenhoch:

Clean

Re: The Pool
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26 PM »
 :smitten:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:17 PM »
yeah and if had all got off our asses then we would have had an old school day there....  :(

Lethargy sucks
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 01:35 PM »
yeah and if had all got off our asses then we would have had an old school day there....  :(

Lethargy sucks

Is it only a temp site then Ed?

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:46 PM »
With all respect, im not sure how long an old school bike would last in that place. Its pretty full on!

Word is, its only going to be there for a month after the contest (that was 3 weeks ago).

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 01:52 PM »

Word is, its only going to be there for a month after the contest (that was 3 weeks ago).

What a waste of all that hard work to build it!  ???

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 02:04 PM »
What a waste of all that hard work to build it!  ???

Im not sure NIKE advertising dept would call it a waste. The amount publicity the NIKE pool is getting, all the shops,teams and riders who are showing off their web clips and photos taken at the NIKE pool, the number of time the NIKE logo as been looked at over the last 3 weeks. Not to mention that people are even warming to a brand such as NIKE being involved in BMX, what with the amount of effort they have gone to to get so many people a chance to ride the park that NIKE built after they put on a pretty damn good contest. How long do X-games parks stay set up for? (that is a real question, I dont know the answer, but I suspect they only stay up for the contest and no one gets to ride it after).

I think Nike have done REAL well out of this ..... but it IS a shame it cant stay open for longer.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:06 PM by S&MAlex »

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 02:12 PM »
It gets torn down next weekend.

Old school bikes ruled Del Mar, Uplands, Romford, Harrow etc etc at one time Alex  >:D

... it was more the case that a meet had been proposed to happen there... bit of riding... bit of show & shine... just an amazing opportunity to gather in a very special place that only had a very short lifespan... great shame that it didn't happen as virtually no one stepped up to help organize it.

But the chance has gone now so thats that - there's a couple more public sessions in there this weekend then its gone.

This is the 'Full Story' of The Pool

Not a valid vimeo URL

Dylan Thomas

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Sure, people used to ride terrible 80s bikes in big skateparks but would ANYONE really wanna do a 4 ft air in an 8ft bowl on an 80s bike now?
Let alone if that someone is "our age"!   ;D

But yes, it would have been a great place for a BMX meet up of any kind. Old School included  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Alex dont forget about all THE POOL t-shirts the kids have been given, all THE POOL stickers on bikes and helmets and how many kids are using THE POOL bags for school.
Probably a cheap venture for NIKE compared to say a TV advert or big magazine advert and directly aimed at it's intended market.
How many friends does NIKE have on facebook?

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 07:37 PM »
...so?

Would you rather they didn't bother?

Never understood what peoples problem is with Nike... used to be the same with skating even though most skaters BITD wore Nikes. They are a sport company - BMX is a sport, so they are naturally involved. They put something in and expect something back. Thats business. Nike is a business.

Nike do REAL well out of whatever venture they back or they wouldn't back it and that's business.

Who else is going things like this in the UK? first the Tunnels project and now this... its amazing for our up and coming young guns to ride things like this... and it might just inspire people to get off their arses and do something themselves...

...but I wouldn't bet on it  ;)  :Great_Britain:

Dylan Thomas

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Some people have a problem with "big money" companies (usually non BMX companies) coming into the sport when its doing well, skimming off some money for them selves with no real care about the sport or the riders, and them pulling out as soon as it looks like there might be a downturn.

I dont know enough about NIKE to say if they are doing this, and I also think that most riders are more clued up now and wont get taken for a ride so easy. I do know that NIKE seem to be getting riders to run major parts of their business (rather than sending in their people to do it), and they so seem to be giving quite a bit to BMX.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:42 AM »
Some people have a problem with "big money" companies (usually non BMX companies) coming into the sport when its doing well, skimming off some money for them selves with no real care about the sport or the riders, and them pulling out as soon as it looks like there might be a downturn.

Hey ... thats 'business'  :) and hating it won't stop it or make it go away.

Make hay while the sun shines I reckons  8)

Dylan Thomas

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17 AM »
spoke to Stodgy about this a while ago now and he was telling that they plow loads back into the sport but don't shout from the roofs about it.  hey it gets people into the sport it has to be a good thing in my book.

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Videos  |  The Pool

gfxgfx
gfx gfx