gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 05, 2024, 01:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX 1000 CALIPER STRIPPING? HELP!!!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MX 1000 CALIPER STRIPPING? HELP!!!!!!!  (Read 2402 times)

daz bmx it!

MX 1000 CALIPER STRIPPING? HELP!!!!!!!
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Ok,I know its been asked before,but I'm stripping a green MX 1000 DC caliper (the green seem to be bomb proof!) and nothing is touching it? :shocked: so chaps whats available for me to go and buy today and bring home to my house to do the job :daumenhoch: please lmk,thx :daumenhoch:

sid1972

Re: MX 1000 CALIPER STRIPPING? HELP!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:30 PM »
never stripped a green one - but people have said its like powder not paint, if paint stipper is not shifting it - go to somewhere like motosave and buy 'liquid chisel' gasket remover it will shift anything  :D

just use gloves and glasses outside.  ;)

daz bmx it!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Cheers Sid :daumenhoch:  I have tried the gasket stripper in a spray can but also no good? is the stuff your on about good then? is it in a tube or spray? lmk bud :daumenhoch:

sid1972

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Right if gasket stripper is not good, I would pop and see a powder coater because thats what it will be... :-\

remember the gay pensioner mentioning a product I think, might be worth dropping him a pm. That green stuff on MX's is made using the HULKS snot!  :LolLolLolLol:

http://www.choppersurplus.com/global/articles/howtoremovepowdercoating.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4451163_remove-powder-coat.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:08 PM by sid1972 »

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:45 PM »
I stripped a NOS green MX1000 with Nitromores came off easy,
it black ano underneath  :) right fooking result as that's what colour i wanted
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:29 PM »
I had the same problem with Pink and understand it was because it was enamel paint and required an acetate (something like nail varnish remover of a certain type). :daumenhoch:
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 02:44 PM »
I stripped a NOS green MX1000 with Nitromores came off easy,
it black ano underneath  :) right fooking result as that's what colour i wanted

I stripped a set years ago, one half came off easy, but the other half took ages, I used Nitromores too, but mine was not black ano, I think the Nitromores just turns the metal black  ???

daz bmx it!

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 03:23 PM »
mine are chrome underneath :4_17_5: like you say,one half seemed to be easy the other half's a pain! dont want to scratch it as its for me lat curtis build ever! :(

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 06:07 PM »
i had a pink set i tried to strip.
ended up spraying them black as i could'nt get all the coating off.
nothing i tried would get it all off.

dave the bmxing gypo

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58 PM »
i don't know whats going on with nitromoors, but i had some alabastine paint stripper(dutch make) left over when i moved back to blighty. I tried to strip a few things with some nitromoors i bought, it didn't work well, mixed results and dome untouched. I dug out the dutch stuff and it did it in a matter of a couple of minutes. nitrommors has been castrated by the health and safety nerds i think.
ding dong

Chinadog

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I don't think the nitromoors you get today is as strong as it used to be years ago.

I needed to get some powder coating off some pedals and nitromoors wouldn't touch it, but Wilko's own brand got it off in one go! Makes your eyes water a bit though :buck2:

oldskooldayz

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:18 PM »
i stripped some if these with that oven pride and then took a wire pad with that pink stuff on it for the kitchen to em and then polished em out with silver polish and worked a treat

daz bmx it!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 06:54 PM »
I know it'll come off with a lil wire wool,but I dont want to scratch em so much I have to polish them for days  :-\ so it looks like a trip to wilkos in the morning :daumenhoch:

moochalargo

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 11:51 AM »
I've got a black mx I'm trying to strip! What worked in the end then as I am on my 3rd and Pisa last Curtis build.
Do I bother with oven pride!???
Cheers

1mancity2

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Black ones are anno unless its been refinished so oven pride should shift it  :daumenhoch:

moochalargo

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14 PM »
WOW!!!!  That is awesome!!!!
Found some in the cupboard!!! Put the caliper halves in a box and poured over the pride and it's like magic!!! The colour ive spent am age trying  to remove just simply washed off!!! It's awesome!!!
Thanks for he recommendation guys!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX 1000 CALIPER STRIPPING? HELP!!!!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx