gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1987 mongoose decade.start to finish
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1987 mongoose decade.start to finish  (Read 18320 times)

super mat

1987 mongoose decade.start to finish
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:04 PM »
sometime in the early 90s,my best mates younger brother came across a bike parked outside a c&a.he liked it so much he wrote a note for the owner,asking him if he wanted to sell it.afew days later,the bike was in his possesion.the bike in question was a 87 mongoose decade.it was around this time i had no interest in bmx.i had moved on to mountain biking which had become massive by then.by 1994,i had moved away so i didnt see my best mate so much.i had other freinds and was not biking at all.over the next few years parts got swapped and changed on the bike.by 1998 only the frame and chainring were left.it had gone through numerous different spray jobs aswell.in 2000 my best mate had moved nearer to me and we got back in to biking again.i remember the decade sprayed badly white with peregrine 48s  and a fishbone rotor fitted.it also had diamond back turbo cranks fitted.in april 2000 we went to a bike show at the nec and my mate came home with a fishbone ninja frame and forks.guess what!old mongoose frame surplus to requirements,so stripped and put away.roll on to 2007 and the old school bug had bit me.my first build was a team mag burner.

but thats another story.
it then dawned on me that there must be a decade frame around somewhere.to my knowledge it was never thrown out.my mate had moved house in 2004 but i never saw the frame in the move!?when my mate sold his house,he moved in with his in laws because he was doing his new house up.we searched his in laws house and in one of the sheds,we found it!we hung it up in the garage for another day.that day happened to be in late august 2010.he didnt have the time to anything with it so he handed over to me.i got it home and quickly put some parts on to see what i could do with it.

as you can see,gyro tabs had been ground off along time ago and there was hardly any paint left on it.i didnt have the correct forks neither so i decided to go down a custom route for it.i had a mid school pair of huffy forks for it(as seen in pic).in september it was off to the powder coaters.meanwhile i sourced some parts for it.

it came back a few weeks later,looking so much better.

i then started the re build.

i then put the bike away for the winter.during which time i found more parts.very pleased to find a spin tech on here.it came complete with the top bearing cup which sorted the tab problem out.i also got a nippon re issue front brake,which i re sprayed and customised.

i still did not like the forks and was was determined to get the correct ones.also not too sure about the cheap 48s i put on.i know these have skyway oe as spec but imo,tuff 2 look better.
after nearly a month of waiting my forks arrived from the states.i paid way too much for them but needs must.i still needed to get handlebars coz the mid haro bars i was going to use were crushed and did not do up.with original decade bars being so thin on the ground i had to improvise.i bought a pair of mk2 e z bars at the burnerbash.with bars,forks and an old layback,it was back to the powder coaters.i was then time to give del a pm for decals.it was finally looking like a proper resto.

last little bit was the levers.i had put tech 6 levers on earlier but decided i liked the two tone tech 5s better.i de annod a black set of tech 5s and re sprayed to match.

finally finished.just a few small details like the badge and the spin tech decal to get.ive finally done the bike justice.as its been past from pillar to post for nearly twenty years.ill try and find some bitd pics and post them up.hope ive not gone on too much but that is the story of this bike.hence to say my best mate now wants it back :)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:54 PM by super mat »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: 1987 mongoose decade.start to finish
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Great colour choice with the white,  great contrast and a great job :smitten: :smitten:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:18 PM »
nice  :4_17_5:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Turned out well mate , cool colour combo  8)

Nice story about the frame , im not surprised your mate wants it back  :D
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:56 AM »
youve done a cracking job mate, nice1 :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:23 AM »
Nice one.  The bike looks great.   :4_17_5:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Great thread and enjoyed looking at how it was coming along  :4_17_5:

it looks so sweet in those colours - lots of hard work has gone into it and it shows, by the well thought out way you have gone about this build

the end result is beautiful

now if i could only get me 87 performer to look the same - you build has made it possible in my mind to do the same that you have done and not keep it as a rider  8)

cheers B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Look like mind but better  :daumenhoch:

firebird4130

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 12:37 PM »
pretty sure I have the original bars, in need of a bit of work though. Nice Job  :daumenhoch:

super mat

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Great thread and enjoyed looking at how it was coming along  :4_17_5:

it looks so sweet in those colours - lots of hard work has gone into it and it shows, by the well thought out way you have gone about this build

the end result is beautiful

now if i could only get me 87 performer to look the same - you build has made it possible in my mind to do the same that you have done and not keep it as a rider  8)

cheers B  ;)thats a sweet bike.get on the resto.you have more bike to start with than what i had :)

1mancity2

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Wish I'd have kept mine now  :'( top job  :daumenhoch:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Very nice job you made there,real labour of love :4_17_5:

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Cool thread  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28 AM »
nice job! love the decade frame and forks, looks well cool  :daumenhoch:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Looks great mate! but is that paint missing from the bars near the stem? Looks like paint has flaked to me, might just be the photo?  ???

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 08:54 AM »
Looks great mate! but is that paint missing from the bars near the stem? Looks like paint has flaked to me, might just be the photo?  ???

i noticed that too but didnt want to be the bearer of bad news  :-\

does look cool thoe  8) but id have to sort out the black leterring and line on the front caliper cos that would prevent me from sleeping  :buck2:

super mat

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Looks great mate! but is that paint missing from the bars near the stem? Looks like paint has flaked to me, might just be the photo?  ???

that was an older photo.before the stem was powder coated and before i replaced the bars with e z bars.the haro bars in the pic were painted but they were crushed and never did up.hence the chipped paint.id never complete a resto like that.ive also re done the infill on the front caliper :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:40 PM by super mat »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16 AM »

Nicely done  :)

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Threaders

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Hi. Congratulations on a job well done. Love the colour scheme. Do you happen to have the ral code or paint code for the shade of blue you gat there. Many thanks :daumenhoch:

1mancity2

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Looks like Ral 5015 to me  :daumenhoch:

Threaders

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Thanks 1mancity2. What have you used on your yellow decade for the fork pegs??

1mancity2

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52 PM »
I went to local hardware supplier and got some domed head bolts and painted them white

super mat

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 08:58 PM »
i have now aquired the correct bars but they are cut down.can anybody tell me the original width of the bars? :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:29 PM by super mat »

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27 PM »
nice looking resto that  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 10:56 PM »
very nice, i've wanted a decade for ten years now. :2funny:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1987 mongoose decade.start to finish

gfxgfx
gfx gfx