gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 11:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which shade of white and what gloss level? Powder Coating - Falcon Pro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which shade of white and what gloss level? Powder Coating - Falcon Pro  (Read 1654 times)

abz2002

OK, time to choose shade of white for my Falcon Freestyler.  The existing was a shimmery white so was no good and wasn't what I had on my original bike as a youngster.

I've preliminarily opted for '9010 old english' with full gloss finish.

Wasn't initially keen on full gloss and thought the 30% looked better but the powder coater pursuaded me that 30% gloss would get dirtier far more easily.

Think I can live with full gloss, looked alright actually on a box he was doing.

Didn't want to go for brilliant white as I thought it might look a bit garish and in yer face?

Thoughts/advise please.....................
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:17 PM by abz2002 »

1mancity2

Ral 9016 is a slight off white but still quite clear and not creamy, gloss level is down to personal choice but I do all mine matt with a clear full gloss lacquer over, if it's being done powder full gloss it will finger mark easy unless he is using a none fingermarking powder (doub't full) :daumenhoch:

abz2002

Cheers for that.

Now I'm completely confused, I put this to the powder coater and he says that Ral 9016 is the whitest white you can get i.e. brilliant white?!

I actually saw a sample on a box he was doing and TBH it was a bit too white?!  :coolsmiley:

As for the gloss, he said the cost would be 50% more to take the clear lacquer approach?!!!  He's a nice guy but sounds like I'm being had?!

He dismissed 'finger printing' as being an issue and thought I was worrying too much?

Help!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:18 PM by abz2002 »

1mancity2

Ral 9016 is called Traffic white and it is a bright white, if you want it creamy go for one he has but try to see some tubing painted as colours look different on flat surfaces, white is not a bad colour for finger  prints (Black is the worst!) but if its a gloss finish all colours get finger prints unless its a clear coat which is resistant to marking, if its a rider I would go with the cheapest option.

If its a show bike finger marks are gonna cause you to pull your hairout it you touch the frame!!

To clear coat it he has to base it in white stove it then recoat with the lacquer 50% more is not a bad price (depending on what price your paying)

abz2002

Cheers again,

Thought I'd clear it up with a phone call to the main man SBD, BS 00e55 White is the one he recommends for that 'old school' look.

He suggested the gloss version and the gloss level "is what it is" he confirmed as you can't vary it.

Well, 50% more at the current place (sand blasted, not dipped) would've meant £120!! Ouch!

Anyway, the place I took it to don't have that code in stock and so I'm picking it back up and sending it to SBD which is what I should've done in the first place! £60 all told. Sorted.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which shade of white and what gloss level? Powder Coating - Falcon Pro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx