gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Few quick questions on my resto - Dip strip or sand blast?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Few quick questions on my resto - Dip strip or sand blast?  (Read 904 times)

abz2002

I'm restoring a Falcon Pro with extensive surface rust, a few questions:

1) Is it better to dip strip or sand blast

2) Are two coats of powder coating better than one, or is one better than two?  :idiot2:

Unrelated question, I'm putting some new tuff II's on another bike and find that:

3) old school nuts don't screw on? not tried any others yet, which do I need to get to fit them?  :wtf:

4) the spindle supplied with the tuff's are too long, presumably designed for stunt pegs, I'm not planning to put any on, is there a shorter spindle I can get?  ???

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:26 AM by abz2002 »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: Few quick questions on my resto - Dip strip or sand blast?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35 AM »
1. Ask who is Powdering the frame.  I know SBD does the prep for his bikes :daumenhoch:
2. SBD's Powder is always spot on.  I cant comment on anyone else's work because Dan has always done a perfect job for me

a. Are they old school Skyway Nuts or of a standard Wheel???

b. Fit the nut then cut and file them to require length.  Leaving the nut on means you can clean the threads when you remove the Nut

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:38 AM »
a. Wheel nuts come in 24tpi and 26tpi so get it right or you will knacker your axle :daumenhoch:

abz2002

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25 AM »
Thanks for that

Yes I know about Dan, Only thing is that he's quite a way from me and there is a place locally that will sand blast whereas Dan does a dip strip hence my question!

Looks like I might have to get off my arse and get down to Dan's in the end!!

Now get it re 24tpi versus 26tpi.  When they wouldn't screw in after the first couple of turns, I knew something wasn't right so I didn't force them so no luckily haven't damaged them. they are brand new tuff II's.

Seems a bit shitey to have to cut and file the axles?  :shocked:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:54 PM by abz2002 »

punkdSICO

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Seems a bit shitey to have to cut and file the axles?  :shocked:
Hi - yeah, it is a little odd but you have to do it.  Someone in here gave me fab advice before I did mine at the weekend:  Cut them with the nuts on.  this way, when you unscrew the nuts, they will re-align any damaged spindle threading.  btw, I also filed down my spindles after cutting just to take any edges off..

ta,

Paul

1mancity2

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:03 AM »
DON'T sandblast the frame it needs beadblasting, sand will take too much material off the frame potentially making it thin..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Few quick questions on my resto - Dip strip or sand blast?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx