gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 24, 2024, 02:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Benders - any others in here? (tips and tricks)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Benders - any others in here? (tips and tricks)  (Read 1045 times)

punkdSICO

Benders - any others in here? (tips and tricks)
« on: May 15, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Wooh!!  Finally managed to get some levers Im happy with:

The below pic shows the angle I have added.  Originally, the lever would have been straight down but I have pushed it back about 15 degrees.

This pic shows how not to do it..!!  I did the first lever using two spanners with no protection:

This is my second attemd, with only minimal damage.  Again, I could have done better than this with a little hindsight.

Ohers have mentioned using a blow torch, but I dont have one.  Also, not sure how much paint damage this would do..

Now I just need to decide if I want to put my old school Dia Compes back on the bike, after a little bending.  Eitherway, ill replace the trashed lever with a new one (my local store has them on offer for sub-£10)

My tips for safe bending:
  • remove the lever from the brake housing
  • put something metal inbetween the levers two arms that the bolt goes through.  I did not do this for the first lever and the vice colapsed the arms slightly.  I then had the task of getting them back straight again..
  • Use a vice and protect any metal on metal contact
  • Have the lever poking out of the vice with the bend point on the edge of the vice
  • Putting a bit of wood between the lever and your hammer, hit the wood frickin hard.  Then it it even frickin harder!!
  • Start off by practicing with a lever you dont mind spoiling. With practice, you can bend with little/no paint damage.
ta,

Paul

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Benders - any others in here? (tips and tricks)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Currently Hunterdubber is the biggest Bender on here  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

waza04

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:27 PM »
nice bit of bending........... :(  would have just dropped some tech4's on!  :daumenhoch:

punkdSICO

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:50 PM »
nice bit of bending........... :(  would have just dropped some tech4's on!  :daumenhoch:
Yeah, someone else mentioned Tech4s but, they only bend in the one direction and dont follow the bars back.  I know that is hard to explain but, althought the Dirty Harries are bent-t'feck, until I whacked them with a hammer, they were sticking out into space and nowhere near where I wanted them to be..

ta,

Paul

firebird4130

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:57 PM »
I usually wrap a cloth round the lever or a bit of electrical tape  stick a seatpost over it and bend away

punkdSICO

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:13 PM »
I usually wrap a cloth round the lever or a bit of electrical tape  stick a seatpost over it and bend away
..Like the idea of that.  And sounds a lot easier to avoid paint damabe..

I presume you have the other end in a vice??

Good tip..

Paul

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Benders - any others in here?

You're asking that on ere.... did make me chuckle...  ;D
2 minutes turkish...

firebird4130

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 01:34 AM »
..Like the idea of that.  And sounds a lot easier to avoid paint damabe..

I presume you have the other end in a vice??

Good tip..

Paul
no vice required, just have your lever fitted to the bars as normal, and bend with seatpost  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Benders - any others in here? (tips and tricks)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx