gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Laced my 1st wheel but......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Laced my 1st wheel but......  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Laced my 1st wheel but......
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Cant lace the other  :knuppel2:
Followed the stickie on wheel lacing and had know problems at all  ::) Araya 7x laced to Bully hubs with 184 spokes.
The Rear was the one i managed to get laced up, trying to do the front and i'm finding that when i start crossing the spokes but half way round i not able to get the spoke to the nipple...I'm bout 2mm short  :-\
Now I've taken them apart 3 times now tried not puttin as many turns on the spokes when tightening, tried puting more turns on to try and pull the hub in a little but no luck.
\Am i missing something really straightforward ??? Same rims, same hubs, same spokes out the same packet as the rear i managed to do.
Help please Radsters
Al

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Laced my 1st wheel but......
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:39 PM »
if the hubs are the same size there should be no problems at all .. funny that  ???

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:42 PM »
if the hubs are the same size there should be no problems at all .. funny that  ???

I Know it doin my fookin head in  :uglystupid2: ! Done the rear last night and tried to do the front as well but was gettin tired so i guessed i'd made a simple error but have had another two goes today and still no joy  :-[

xGoose

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Hub flanges same size?

Are the spokes on the front and rear the same length? (might be hard for you to tell as you've laced the rear). You might have had a different lacing pattern on the front (1x 2x 3x or radial?).  ;)

Have you got a pic of them before you delaced them?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:58 PM by x-600se »

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Hub flanges same size?

Are the spokes on the front and rear the same length? (might be hard for you to tell as you've laced the rear). You might have had a different lacing pattern on the front (2x 3x or radial?).  ;)

Yup both hubs sized the same, spokes all out the same packet (ashi chrome 184's) and doing the front the same as the rear 3x  :-[

xGoose

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Hub flanges same size?

Are the spokes on the front and rear the same length? (might be hard for you to tell as you've laced the rear). You might have had a different lacing pattern on the front (2x 3x or radial?).  ;)

Yup both hubs sized the same, spokes all out the same packet (ashi chrome 184's) and doing the front the same as the rear 3x  :-[

It sounds like your building fresh wheels rather than taken them apart to clean and then relace is that right?

The only other thing I can think is that front hub flanges can be further apart than rear hub flanges and it might make that much difference by the time you get halfway round the wheel? Someone may be able to confirm it?  :-\

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:22 PM by x-600se »

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Hub flanges same size?

It sounds like your building fresh wheels rather than taken them apart to clean and then relace is that right?

The only other thing I can think is that front hub flanges are further apart than rear hub flanges and it might make that much difference by the time you get halfway round the wheel? Someone may be able to confirm it?  :-\

Yeah fresh wheel build dude, looking at the hubs they look the same width, but i guess a mm out or so could make the difference.

Snav - tried that already but i guess i gonna give it another go now  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Sounds like you're 1 hole out on the other side bud. Strip them from the second side and re-lace from scratch moving one hole forwards or backwards?
Still limping......

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Sounds like you're 1 hole out on the other side bud. Strip them from the second side and re-lace from scratch moving one hole forwards or backwards?

I'd go with that, so easy to do too  :-[

Better to crash and burn than fade away

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 06:12 PM »
i think yoiu need 186 for them really .the hub diameter will be different from front to back hubs hence the shortage .

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Yeah, gotta admit I use 186's to lace small flange to 7X in a 3X :-\
Still limping......

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Spen's probably right...  :daumenhoch:

Been there... done that...  :-[

:LolLolLolLol:

2 minutes turkish...

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I use 192s for Suzue small flange to 7xs :daumenhoch:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 11:49 AM »
i think yoiu need 186 for them really .the hub diameter will be different from front to back hubs hence the shortage .

Tried again last night and still no joy, gonna try and get some 186 ashi spoke...rare as though i guess.
I've got some 194's  would they be to long ?????

xGoose

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Have you tried using an ERD (effective rim diameter) spoke calculator yet, that might help. ;)

Just google erd spoke calculator, there are loads of them.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Try this link bro  :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=241229

It might help ya  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 12:48 PM »

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 02:11 PM »
If i used 194mm spokes and do 4X would this work?
If i do do 4X is it, under, under, over, under??? and when lacing wot else do i need to do differently?
Al

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 02:19 PM »
The thing is it is very hard for people to tell you what spoke size to use.  I have now laced 100's of wheels (I also wrote the how to guide on here) and I always use a spoke calculator as that is the only way to know 100% what size spokes to use.

You will need to take measurements of both hubs as lots of rear hubs have different measurements than the front.  Also you need to measure the ERD (as x-600se mentioned).

I have built so many wheels where the front uses 182mm and the rear 188mm.

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25 PM »
The thing is it is very hard for people to tell you what spoke size to use.  I have now laced 100's of wheels (I also wrote the how to guide on here) and I always use a spoke calculator as that is the only way to know 100% what size spokes to use.

You will need to take measurements of both hubs as lots of rear hubs have different measurements than the front.  Also you need to measure the ERD (as x-600se mentioned).

Stidds,
I followed your how to guide on here  :daumenhoch:
Wot would i need to do differently to lace 4x?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25 PM »
I use this:

Buy yourself one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-Inch-150-MM-Digital-Vernier-Caliper-Carbon-Fibre-/300539288266?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item45f9899aca

Have a look here for the calculator:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

And here for the A,B,C,D etc help:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/help2.html  - edit - see the 'help' button on that page (will show you how to measure all the A,B,C etc) - linky doesn't take you to it for some reason.....

And then google your rim name/tpye and 'ERD'

"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49 PM »

Stidds,
I followed your how to guide on here  :daumenhoch:
Wot would i need to do differently to lace 4x?

All you need to do to lace 4x is instead is lace the spoke over 3 spokes and under 1, instead of over 2 and under 1 for 3x.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Laced my 1st wheel but......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx