gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mystery Machine the end is near
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mystery Machine the end is near  (Read 2150 times)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Mystery Machine the end is near
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:24 PM »
£50 budget build is just about done ,  again a few pics as its easier and keeps the drivell to a mininmum ,  links below to the other posts for those that might be interested, i think there in the right order ,  i,ve gone through and there just as embarassing as this post  :LolLolLolLol: 

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=111943.0

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=122528.0

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=123024.0

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=123827.0

that out of the way here goes..........

Easter has just gone and not beeing a big chocy egg fan ,  the missus got me a set of grips instead of an egg,  worrying thing is that she has stooped looking at me like i'm bonkers when i ask for bike parts instead of the usuall gifts,     :D    result  :daumenhoch:   cheap new Skyway grips but perfect for what i wanted em for

continuing from the last update the pedals needed sorting was going for the victor DX initially, had a set all ready prepped and ready to do a spindle swap, but realised the bearing seats were badly worn, so scrapped them,  spotted these in the for sale thread i figured they might  be ok , Shark Bites ,  never had a set before so went for em ,  wrong color but no biggy that and easy to sort,  caustic and Autosol then about an hour tinkering, 

quite happy with them , reasonably well made,  but,   this i don't get,   not very grippy :uglystupid2: you'd think they would be with the size of the teeth,  still ok for this application

while i'd got the caustic bubbling away i dipped the brake lever to make that shiney too,  again not long to do ,

so to the point where it can go together again,  swapped out the black brake cable with a white one just to tie in the other white bits  and its now a rider finally

well i'm more than happy with that , rides quite nice due to to the easy gearing and the seat post hight meens its pops wheelies like it was made just to do that ,     so   after a wobble round on it i sat looking at and began thinking it neede something a little more , padset maybe?  ............ yup i'll put that on the list although the budget getting tight now so might not stretch to it

Budget then was at £29 at the last update

now added...........

pedals £10
outer brake cable £1.50

total then   Â£40.50        :LolLolLolLol:     :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:31 PM by oldtired »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Re: Mystery Machine the end is near
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Getting back to thinking it needs a little more i remebered a different set of wheels i bought real cheap and not used for anything , again not sure if i'm bending my own constaints a bit here, but there in with the spares and the main reason for the build was to tidy up some of the spare parts ,    i've always liked this bike from the time i bought it , i know its a pos, but its not the worst i've seen ,   i've got another lead on the i.d. recently too , Tensor maybe? added to list of posibles,   

bunged on the other set of wheels then,  got to say  its gone from being liked to being loved a bit more ,  think they are going to stay in place   :smitten:

of course it means a little more tinkering , sort out the fookin stupid axles   :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:  :LolLolLolLol:   and will need a set of brake pads,   just about enough left in the budget to get those and another tin or two of paint to cover up the chips from when i fell out with it last year  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

:smitten: :smitten:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:41 PM »
fantastic fella, i would ride that anyday and be very proud too, I like an obscure build. and enough budget for a padset too [I'll keep an eye out] although i quite like the lean cleanlook on this, but I may be wrong by the time you've sourced a padset

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17 PM »
cool build but i prefer it with the spoked wheels :daumenhoch:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:41 PM »
That's really good mate, and a lot better than just using a bulging wallet to cherry-pick NOS items from the US  :-X

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:21 PM »
i prefer it with the mags, bargain ride for £50.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:27 PM »
Tidy bike Jim :daumenhoch:
looks neat,everything suits the build :)

monkian

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Interesting looking F&F. Any more ideas what it might be?
It's a cool looking rider that's for sure. Spokes for me BTW :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Interesting looking F&F. Any more ideas what it might be?
It's a cool looking rider that's for sure. Spokes for me BTW :daumenhoch:

been trying to find an id since getting it , its one of the halfords or petrol station  cheap bikes , i'm thinking early to mid 80's ? got pics of what was left of the decals and just can't quite place em ,,Tensor , Universal,  BMX Team,  etc,   just on the tip of the tongue,   if you get me? ,  posted em on here to see  if anyone had a clue ,actually look a bit like early Robo decals,   the frame is actually well made the forks not so but are a bit distinctive as they're double dropout ,  thought i might have found a good lead over in France as i spotted another bike with the same forks, but to no availe,they were decalled up Tiger,      there is post code and house number  stamped on the BB so i might send a letter to the address see if they have a clue, was going to do that last year just didn't get round to it ,  would be nice to get an id for it though  :daumenhoch:

Clean

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Nice work, Jimbo!  :smitten:

I wish I could keep my builds to fifty quid!  :'(

Mamba

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:38 AM »
Excellent!! Proof that you can build a neat bike for little cash, she's a very clean looking machine :daumenhoch:

Daletsunami

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Great work you've done on this mate  :daumenhoch:

Hope you find an ID on it as I know you've been searching enough  8)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46 PM »
nice one D  :daumenhoch:   

thanks for all the other comments guys very much appreciated  :daumenhoch:  the way its looking there will be one more final update to follow , more pics of course , ffs i hear some of you say  :LolLolLolLol:,   been on a roll around and  the mx 1000 i cobbled together has failed big style first the cable lock nut snapped clean off,    patched that up  then the bolt sheared off at the frame,    so i've had to go to plan C on the braking with some more from the spares box, although i'm likeing the way its going though and is something i didn't think of doing before   :coolsmiley:  ,  budget has just about gone due to some additional bits needed so i think the strip down and repaint might just be a patch up job ,  determined not to go over,       pad set is going to be home made , :LolLolLolLol:   :uglystupid2:,    tinkering about with those at the mo ,  so don't know how long it will be,  mock ups are rubbish so far  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:   :crazy2:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:47 PM »
for your amusement

I spent 2 hours today researching your bike,[had some time off work and run out of stuff to do, and it was raining so icouldnt go out and ride] unfortunately to no avail, that gusset is pretty unique, the drop outs are pretty patterson like, but thats a bout it, thought i found it at one point from a pic its was a bit out of focus so i downloaded and stuck it in photoshop and the oval hole in the gusset turned round once id rebuilt the sharpness :( So its not a motobecane

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:32 PM »
thanks very much Jay very much appreciated , glad i could inspire you to stay out of trouble , if only for few hours,  i've spent hours trawling different forums from all over Europe,    thought the forks might have been Speedo when i first saw them, also went down the DB , Hawk and the obvious Bandito route the ones that are closest were over in France i'll see if i can find the pics ,  Tiger ,  just about the same ,the frame they were on was completly different though , spoke to a guy on here , who did a bit of searching on the French forums but didn't get anywhere , the frame is pretty distinctive although i suspect was one of the band wagon frames from early to mid 80's ,  i think the shape of the gusset   is quite funny like this  !          as in  wtf is it  !!!!,     i edging my bet that someone will just say i had one was a right pos it was a ....................... :LolLolLolLol:     the bars that came with it are realy bad   :LolLolLolLol:

link to QR's  post   top bloke by the way  :daumenhoch:  pics 29/30/31/66  in the my pics link,   forks are pretty close  :daumenhoch: some nice bikes in there too

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=95401.0
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:29 PM by oldtired »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 11:34 PM »

I remember that build - cool project for less than £50 !

Deffo prefer it with spokes  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 12:38 PM »

James (VOIVOD) once wrote that one of his buddies bought a bike that looked exactly like yours.
if you want to know what it is ---> write James a PM and ask him if his friend´s bike had the kind of gusset yours has. If so, then there`s a chance it would be german low end pos then  ;D, as his was stickered up as "Sprick", from ´83 I think. Forks are original to that frame

proper looking bike that in  that Jag green ^"^ in any case though, and i prefer the spokes, aswell  :yahoo_silent:

griff

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44 PM »
I'll give you 50 for it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mystery Machine the end is near

gfxgfx
gfx gfx