gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  More Spoke Questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: More Spoke Questions  (Read 826 times)

The VW Doc

More Spoke Questions
« on: May 07, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Ok, I have been thinking today.
Can you buy spoked that are too long, cut them down, and thread the ends?

I guess the answer is yes, but what thread should they be?
I am guessing (as my existing spokes are approx 2.2mm diameter - but are badly rusty) that they will be M2?? Or is there a particular "spoke thread"??

Can anyone tell me what die I should be looking for? Or do you need a "special tool"??

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: More Spoke Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:43 PM »
i dont think its worth messing around doing all that when you can buy new ones for a few quid, it would take ages doing it all to every spoke....   
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:51 PM »
i dont think its worth messing around doing all that when you can buy new ones for a few quid, it would take ages doing it all to every spoke....   

WHS^^^

Why would you want to?...  ???
2 minutes turkish...

bof

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:01 AM »
You dont use a die nut for spokes. You need a special tool that actually rolls the thread onto the spoke instead of cutting the thread. They are quite expensive but if you can't find the spokes you need then what are you going to do. Where you the guy who was after some thicker guage spokes. I have two used sets that are different lengths

The VW Doc

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 09:22 AM »
I was trying to buy the spokes from my local supplier that has helped me with various bits and advice for my builds so far.
They can't get the spokes I want - just regular 188mm length, which got me thinking of cutting the longer ones they had down to suit

Looks like it is more complicated than I first thought :(

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:03 PM »
You dont use a die nut for spokes. You need a special tool that actually rolls the thread onto the spoke instead of cutting the thread. They are quite expensive but if you can't find the spokes you need then what are you going to do. Where you the guy who was after some thicker guage spokes. I have two used sets that are different lengths

Think it was me that was after thicker guage spokes - 12g to build up a set of Peregrine Phat Jacks :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 04:20 PM »
You dont use a die nut for spokes. You need a special tool that actually rolls the thread onto the spoke instead of cutting the thread. They are quite expensive but if you can't find the spokes you need then what are you going to do.

/>
 :daumenhoch:

http://www.dotbike.com/p/9480?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=FGL

Or you can give Phil Wood $3995.00 for one  :shocked:

http://www.philwood.com/products/tools/spokemach.php
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:28 PM by Peter J »
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  More Spoke Questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx