gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:01 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New user / new resto project - Falcon Pro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New user / new resto project - Falcon Pro  (Read 28046 times)

abz2002

Re: New user / new resto project - Falcon Pro
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Re: Don't let monster touch it  :LolLolLolLol: Damn right!

First things first, I've seen quite a few different approaches to decal application, dry, wet etc.

I'm planning to go dry, perhaps apply some gentle heat with hairdryer to warm up frame, slap it on and allow the contraction to form a better fix?

Clean hands and clean hands again, mask out area with masking tape.

Is this right or would I be in trouble?!

Would I be able to apply with finger pressure alone or is credit card/squeegee a must to get air bubbles out?

I don't want to 'experiment' on the real thing so would rather a) do research first and b) have a go on another similar surface with a spare decal.

1mancity2

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 12:58 PM »

abz2002

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Nice one, wet it is I reckon, I have little doubt that I'd Phuck it up if did it dry!!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:59 AM by abz2002 »

abz2002

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 08:25 PM »
A little way to go, but here's where I'm at:

1) Chain to go on
2) Decals to go on (only tacked on in pics & excludes fork decals).  Have bought the squeegee, have the paper towels, have the spray bottle, have Johnson's baby shampoo, still looking for courage!!!  :-\
3) Layback to be swapped out with a Hutch style one, i.e. more right angle, when I can find one of that style
4) Firebird is on the case with the white pads with black lettering  :daumenhoch:
5) The Aeroyals are pretty close to the originals with the slits on the sides but I'm not so sure about the overall look of it TBH.  Might flog it and get one more original, will do for now.
6) Similarly brakes are MX1000 copies, look fine but not the originals, I have one set that came with the bike that can be restored but may look out for a full mint set.

The arms and crank wheel were in a bad way but cleaned up really well.  I'd bought a replacement one piece crank arm NOS but it was slightly tapered so just wouldn't have done!

Forgot to put the front and rear fleccies on but may leave them out anyway?!

Wheels left in bleach for nearly two weeks, not the best result as they're shown up by the frame, but as this is no show bike (more for personal admiration), they'll do fine.

So w'dya think?  :-\

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:45 PM by abz2002 »

1mancity2

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I have a set of formos mx1000 copies up for graps bud, check my bits and bods sale thread  :daumenhoch:

I agree with you on the seat as well, top job and great story so far bud  :daumenhoch:

abz2002

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I have a set of formos mx1000 copies up for graps bud, check my bits and bods sale thread  :daumenhoch:

I agree with you on the seat as well, top job and great story so far bud  :daumenhoch:

Cheers, thanks 4 the offer but I'd be after minty original Falcon Pro brakes.  Already has the MX1000 copies albeit in silver.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 08:56 PM »
looking nice so far fella, you must be really pleased with your progress. One thing though, please turn the seatguts round!!!! The bolt always goes behind the post!

abz2002

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 08:58 PM »
looking nice so far fella, you must be really pleased with your progress. One thing though, please turn the seatguts round!!!! The bolt always goes behind the post!

Doh! knew they didnt look right!! Cheers for that  :-[

That's the beauty of this forum! Infinite knowledge!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:42 PM by abz2002 »

abz2002

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Question:

Why do I have a 1-2cm gap when tightening up the forks? Do I need to whack in some spacers on the inside i.e. couple of thin nuts either side or are you meant to force the forks tighter in this way?

abz2002

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 09:06 PM »
looking nice so far fella, you must be really pleased with your progress.

Yup, definitely falling in love and healing that wound from 25 years ago  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I remember waking up half an hour earlier for school, just so I could take it for a blast around the block.  I'd then be glued to it after school late into the evening  :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:19 PM by abz2002 »

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Question:

Why do I have a 1-2cm gap when tightening up the forks? Do I need to whack in some spacers on the inside i.e. couple of thin nuts either side or are you meant to force the forks tighter in this way?

I keep a selection of nuts of various thickness to go between the cone and the fork, a little amount of fork movement is fine, 1-2cm is too much

abz2002

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 09:20 PM »
Question:

I keep a selection of nuts of various thickness to go between the cone and the fork, a little amount of fork movement is fine, 1-2cm is too much

Gottcha, cheers

super mat

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 10:57 PM »
looking fantastic.great work.theres not enough falcons around imo.good luck with applying the decals.im sure they will look fine.the star x mags look fine to me.i had a set of raleigh mags in bleach for two weeks and they didnt come up as good as that.star x were the first set of mags i owned.i remember popping out the front bearings on a heavy landing back in 89.looking foward to seeing this complete :)

abz2002

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16 PM »
One thing though, please turn the seatguts round!!!! The bolt always goes behind the post!

Done, looking normal now!  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:18 PM by abz2002 »

abz2002

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 11:23 PM »
looking fantastic.great work.theres not enough falcons around imo.good luck with applying the decals.im sure they will look fine.the star x mags look fine to me.i had a set of raleigh mags in bleach for two weeks and they didnt come up as good as that.star x were the first set of mags i owned.i remember popping out the front bearings on a heavy landing back in 89.looking foward to seeing this complete :)

I think you're right, the wheels are a pretty good example considering age, I'm probably being too demanding of them as I also own a set of Brand New Tuff II's!

abz2002

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32 AM »
Read this then decide bud  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=125497.0

Not sure what I was worried about  :LolLolLolLol:, following Monkian's instructions to the letter, they went on a treat! Thanks fella  :daumenhoch:

I would add that the squeegee and applying wet is critical, I can't see any other way, the decals are so sticky, doing them dry would mean you'd have to get them perfect first time or risk distorting them when trying to remove them.  It's quite a challenge to avoid tiny dust/fibre particles getting underneath so clean hands and work area are essential.

The squeegee ensures a bubble free one movement application.  At one point I thought about slapping them on dry but am glad I held fire and waited for the squeegee to arrive in the post.  Best £1.50 I've ever spent!

I think they've brought the bike to life  :smitten:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:03 AM by abz2002 »

1mancity2

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 05:59 AM »
Very nice bud, you getting a padset for her?  :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Mate this has been a cracking thread enjoyed every step the build looks fantastic and youve gone by the book well done  :daumenhoch: just pull the bars back a tad tho  ;)  again well done a true restoration  :smitten:

abz2002

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Very nice bud, you getting a padset for her?  :daumenhoch:

Yup, sent the original set to Firebird for them to be made up in white with black lettering. Get the impression he's quite busy though, I'll be patient  :daumenhoch:

Don't think it looks too bad without but will get them done for sake of completeness.

Decided the brakes are alright in the end, even though they're not the original white Falcon Pro, the chrome contrasts nicely against the white frame.

Seat is also growing on me, now that I've fixed the guts the right way round so may not bother doing anything to that.

Seat post has to go though, doesn't work for me!  Will be getting the GT style one (more right angled curve) as per my wanted post.

Bang chain on tonight and she's nearly finished!

Big shout and credit to SBD and Del for their expertise. There's no way I'd have achieved this result without their help! Thanks again fella's  :daumenhoch:

I started out with a certain vision, but the end result has certainly surpassed my expectations.

Needless to say it will not be up for sale any time soon, if ever!

abz2002

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Mate this has been a cracking thread enjoyed every step the build looks fantastic and youve gone by the book well done  :daumenhoch: just pull the bars back a tad tho  ;)  again well done a true restoration  :smitten:

Cheers bud  :daumenhoch:

I will toy with the handle bar position again. I left it a little forward as I thought it gave it a nice aggresive look, too far back and it would look boring?! Will try and find a happy medium.

1mancity2

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 11:44 AM »
If your gonna ride it bars need to go way back, the seat maybe a kashi aero style in white would match better, the aeroyal looks a bit square, but saying that its a very nice resto, you can get some velcro cable clips for it to stop scratches  :daumenhoch: although when the padsets on your cable will be neat and tidy anyway  :daumenhoch:

So what you doing next?  ::)

1mancity2

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Oh and you have inspired me to do a freestyler again  :4_17_5:

abz2002

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Hadn't thought beyond recreating my childhood ride TBH.

However, having had the most fun I've had in a long time, never say never!

I quite fancy the idea of adding a gold burner to my 'collection' sometime in the future.  I also have Peugeot (see museum section on here) which I actually had to buy as a donor bike just to get hold of the Star-X's used on the Falcon!  I've been sympathetic to it though and treated it with a new pair of Tuff II's as compensation!  I've grown to quite like that one too.

I used to look upon burner's as rich kids' bikes as I grew up pretty skint  :(!

Trouble will be the misses and finding space.  Don't want to stash bikes in the garage or loft as these can be nasty places for dust/spores/damp/humidity etc etc.  Perhaps I can kick her out?!  :daumenhoch:

She was surprisingly accommodating on this build as normally when I bring spanners, oil etc in to the house, I get more than an earfull.  Perhaps the tragic childhood story associated with the build allowed me to get off lightly  :shocked:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:35 PM by abz2002 »

1mancity2

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Get her out  :LolLolLolLol:

abz2002

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 02:37 PM »
Very tempting  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New user / new resto project - Falcon Pro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx