gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 02:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How tight should Crank Arms be on Shaft?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How tight should Crank Arms be on Shaft?  (Read 999 times)

Clean

How tight should Crank Arms be on Shaft?
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Peeps,

A quick nOob question; should my Crank Arms fit easily onto the shaft, do they need a little "assistance" or do they need twatting on?   ???

Worried that if it is the latter I may have the wrong shaft for the arms.  :(

Are all OS Bits configured with a square, very slightly tapering, interface between the arm and shaft?  :-\

All input gratefully received.  :daumenhoch:

Thanks,

Clean.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: How tight should Crank Arms be on Shaft?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:12 PM »
with a square taper,just place the crank arm onto the spindle then tighten the spindle nut/bolt till tight.

Clean

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:31 PM »
with a square taper,just place the crank arm onto the spindle then tighten the spindle nut/bolt till tight.

Tried that. Arms go on about 1/4 of the way then become immovable. Tried "encouraging" them with a knocking stick but got nervous so stopped.  ::)

Upon removing the arm I can see light scraping on the taper and square hole which, to me, suggests that there may be a mismatch?  :-\

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:40 PM »
yes,tapers sound totally different.

Clean

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 05:43 PM »
yes,tapers sound totally different.

:'(

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Not all 3-piece cranks used a square-taper spindle but a lot did, ie aluminium arms from SR. Sugino etc, as well as a few cro-mo ones ie Redline/Sugino 400s. Some do take a bit of work to get on. Are the surfaces clean? If it's a 3-piece cro-mo crank you might need a tiny bit of copperslip grease.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34 PM »
there are different size tapers from different manufacturers, it sounds like yours may not be compatable.
what make arms and bb spindle are you using?

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Richard, YGPM.

The original BB and spindle is still here, I just bought you a new one to make sure it was all nice and shiny when I flogged it to you - should have just cleaned the original one :-\

Serves me right for trying to give you NOS when bad-ass used would have been fine :yahoo_silent:
Still limping......

Clean

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Richard, YGPM.

The original BB and spindle is still here, I just bought you a new one to make sure it was all nice and shiny when I flogged it to you - should have just cleaned the original one :-\

Serves me right for trying to give you NOS when bad-ass used would have been fine :yahoo_silent:

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How tight should Crank Arms be on Shaft?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx