gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyways - whats with the different hubs?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyways - whats with the different hubs?  (Read 1024 times)

punkdSICO

Skyways - whats with the different hubs?
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Im a few weeks back into BMX-Lust after a 20 year absence.  I had Skyways back then and they had 5 pin star type hub, both front and back, as shown here:

I notice now that you can buy them new, but also, people even sell old 1985 Skyways, both with these smaller types of hubs:

Maybe a slightly clearer picture:

So, my questions are:

1)   Whats the difference between the old Skyways, the ones with the small hubs, verses my older larger 5 pin hubs?
2)   Whats the difference between the old 1980’s Skyways and the ones you can now buy new for like £55?
3)   If there is no difference between modern/old Skyways, why do people pay more for the 20 year old versions?

I did search this stuff but even on the Skyways site, they don’t seem to give the info..

Thanks,

Paul

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Skyways - whats with the different hubs?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:26 PM »
hello mate i had tuffs in 84 i snaped the rear sent it back, they sent me new 1 witch was plastic hubed then within 2 years the fronts went plastic sealed huds so you can buy oldschool plastic hubs and newschool i think it depends on serial numders to whot value they are?. i think iam right let me if its wrong ;)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:27 PM »
That's Jess  ;) she is a nice girl  :smitten:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:34 PM by BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN »
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Coastvl

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27 PM »
The new hubs have sealed bearings. Everything else is the same. The alloy hubs and steel hubs were too costly. In 84 or 85 they went to the new all plastic hub like the new ones today.
have a looksy here.
http://mauricemeyer.net/cgi/mm.pl?datafile=../general/BMX.txt&page=BMX/History%20of%20Skyway%20Tuff%20Wheels

punkdSICO

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:51 PM »
In 84 or 85 they went to the new all plastic hub like the new ones today.
Hi - thanks for the link.  So, if there is no difference between a 1985 pair and a 2011 pair, why do people appear to pay more for the old used ones?

ta,

Paul

griff

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:14 PM »
older plastic hubs are not sealed bearings I don't think Paul & if they're for a show bike people will always want the genuine article
think the older ones also don't have holes for reflectors like the new ones do

new ones also have long axles which usually need cutting down/rounding off unless you're putting pegs on

but if you want to ride em & don't care whether they are perfectly 'era correct' just get the new ones, the sealed bearings spin like butter

Coastvl

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Thats right. The older plastic hubs are looseball. I have a new set on my 07 Quad and they are awesome. Roll forever.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyways - whats with the different hubs?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx