gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 06:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  sand blasting would you use the service
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: sand blasting would you use the service  (Read 1001 times)

Offline oldschoolib

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
sand blasting would you use the service
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:08 PM »
thought id ask the question as my step daughter boyfriend is talking me into opening a sand blasting business, hes done loads of my stuff and its the dogs nuts just get it re powdered or chromed or even anodised and good as new, will be able to do anything with no damage  :daumenhoch:

sid1972

Re: sand blasting would you use the service
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:23 PM »
If your having it powdered/annodised they do it as part of the price anyway don't they?

think you may get more through car bits, fire place etc..

good look with it..  ;)

Offline oldschoolib

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:37 PM »
thats the thing they always say a bit of work by owner to allow a better finish, open to thoughts on this

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:47 PM »
thats the thing they always say a bit of work by owner to allow a better finish, open to thoughts on this

i honestly hate sand blasted work, it's like painting over sand paper, it sucks in the finish, are you saying that it's

fine to paint straight over :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:06 PM »
I think the term 'sand blasting'  is just used as a general name, there are plenty of different medias to use that give different finishes, i.e. silica beads, crushed walnut shells and so on.
All depends on whether you will be using more specialized abrasives for delicate jobs
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline oldschoolib

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:14 AM »
pretty much what steve said if i go ahead with it i can experiment to find the right medium for best, smoothest, flatest, finish  :daumenhoch:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I've never understood the need for blasting on bmx stuff as the frames were always just bare metal underneath the finish bitd. I don't think you could re-chrome a frame after blasting cos you would have to do sooooo much polishing you'd lose all weld detail, serial numbers etc  :(

.... if it's painted - nitromors it

.... if it's powdercoated - get it chemically dipped

.... if it's chromed - get it de-chromed by reversal

Moza

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Different media for different jobs :daumenhoch: I prime and paint straight over blasted parts but I use plastic (recycled toilet seats lol) I buy this stuff to se and its fine. I must admit when im doing car parts its normally cast metals that I want to keep the rouch finish even when painted. Ive just blasted some DX's and they are ready for paint :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolib

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 03:08 PM »
lets have some pics moza

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  sand blasting would you use the service

gfxgfx
gfx gfx