gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 08:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Ammaco Mongoose
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ammaco Mongoose  (Read 5106 times)

UKMongoose

Ammaco Mongoose
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Hi, noobie here so apologies for any daft questions.

My son is four and now riding properly so I need a bike to keep up with him. I've decided to go for a circa 83 Ammaco Mongoose Chrome, just like the one I had 25 years ago.
It's been a long time but the memories are starting to come back after just a little research.

Does anyone know of such a bike for sale?
I'm also willing to rebuild if that's the only option.

Thanks in advance!!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Ammaco Mongoose
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:30 AM »
I'm sure John "Bobafett" will be along in a minute with his catologues to help you out, but you need to have an idea what the model number or name was bud.

Have a look through the threads below and see if any more memories come back to you, and welcome to the site by the way :daumenhoch:

Ammaco - http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=6939.0

Mongoose - http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=4076.0
Still limping......

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:55 AM »
welcome to the site

usually they pop on ebay etc

more info here too

mongoose / ammaco info
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

UKMongoose

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of mine but from googling around, I think I had the Ammaco Silver Star

From memory, it had
 - mx brakes,
 - white tyre walls
 - white seat
 - handlbars had a straight hoizontal bar
 - Steel spoke wheels

Mine was bought second hand so could have had some parts changed from the original.

Can adults (75kg, 175cm) ride these things without looking stupid?   :)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Can adults (75kg, 175cm) ride these things without looking stupid?   :)

Now there is the million dollar question straight away :LolLolLolLol:

It depends on if you try and sit down on the saddle and ride it, but let's face it, we should all know better but don't care on here - just check out some of the "Member's Events" section pictures for instance...... none of us should be allowed out but we do :shocked: :2funny:

As a genuine point, I have an Ammaco 202 which was the bike I rode back in '82 so I love it, but it's the only bike I don't ride as the geometry is pretty poor to be honest. I have a roll about on it at MK, but I wouldn't jump a set of doubles or try it on a ramp, so it's up to you.

The better geometry but still sticking with your roots frameset would be a Mongoose Cali - there was a complete one for sale by John Bobafett for £160 all in which would be ideal, but I think it's just sold now. Keep looking or put a wanted add up on here would be a good starting point I'd say?
Still limping......

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:53 PM »
I've got an Ammaco Sliver Sprint.......and its got a very small top tube I think its less that 17"  ???

As he  ::) said if you go down the goose route a Cali would be Ideal  :daumenhoch:

I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

UKMongoose

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not planning to perform acrobatics on this bike  ;D  Just want something to follow my son in the park.

As nice as the Cali is, It's not the bike I had as a kid. Can seats and handlebars be adjusted on the Ammaco Silver Star to provide a better fit for adults.

Can't believe it but I'm feeling young today, is this site the fountain of everlasting youth? :angel:

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:20 PM »
British race frames and race clothing wanted

UKMongoose

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:43 PM »
i have this ammaco frame
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62767.msg640024.html#msg640024

Thanks but the one I need has the O Plate at the front of the frame. Not quite sure what the correct mongoose term for this is   :-[

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03 PM »
Drilled main gusset plate bud :daumenhoch:

Yep, you have discovered the source of eternal youth (or we like to think we're young again!) and also if you are not carefull you can loose days of your life and all your disposable income on here, so tread carefully and stick to your plan, ie get yourself the Ammaco you want and watch the money - you have been warned, it's addictive :shocked: :daumenhoch:

Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Ammaco Mongoose

gfxgfx
gfx gfx