gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 08:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aero Reflex nOoB Build Phase 1..... Deliveries! (Pic Heavy)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Aero Reflex nOoB Build Phase 1..... Deliveries! (Pic Heavy)  (Read 8893 times)

Clean

Peeps, it has started........

Look what the poor posty tried to deliver! I actually had to borrow a Post Bag from the Post Office to carry everything home!

:LolLolLolLol:

I picked up some Valium on the way back from the Posty's to calm my shakes for Decal application, too!  :idiot2:

Oh, and Griff...... Can you spot the Snake?  :coolsmiley:

So here it all is for you to delight and dribble over:

* Aero Reflex Frame and Forks, complete with Tioga Headet, Aero Pads and Chain (enormous respect to Ferret)
    * Haro Fusion Stem (cheers to Bretty and Ferret)
    * A'me Tri Cam Grips
    * Tioga BB220 ST Bottom Bracket
    * Redline Chro-Mo 175mm OPC
    * Tioga Spider and 44T Chainring (cheers to snav)
    * Dia Compe MX901s in Chrome and matching Levers (enormous cheers to snav)
    * Elina UL Snakepost (respect to Griff for showing me the light)
    * Haro Fusion Chro-Mo Platform Pedals
    * Suntour 16T Freewheel
    * Black GT Seatpost Clamp (respect to da Winsta)[/li]

Still awaiting delivery of a new pair of black Skyway Tuff IIs, with Skyway Pads, Tubes, a pair of Win CW Bars, some Halo Wheel Nuts and a pair of repopped Comp IIIs from RAD (cheers to Stodgy).

And last, but by no means least.... a set of Aero Reflex custom Del-Cals in Black (big cheers Del) *Edit* Which just arrived!  :D

Did I miss anything?  ???

Most of the kit is NOS, but era-correctness was never the ambition; a beautiful, smooth and capable rider was the ambition and it looks like I have made the right start. Just don't ask me what it all cost!  :-X

Fooking awesome, and wouldn't have been possible without you lot!   :smitten:

Massive respec' to da RAD Crew!  :daumenhoch:

Watch this space for progress, and screams of help!  ;D

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:17 PM by Clean »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: Aero Reflex nOoB Build Phase 1..... Deliveries! (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Some nice stuff there. The Reflex are a great bike and had one myself until last year. Can't wait to see it built :daumenhoch:

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:18 PM »
This is looking promising, looking forward to seeing it built up!

Must admit, I love it when building bikes you get the pile of parcels turning up, its like xmas!!!!  :daumenhoch:

1mancity2

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Wet or Dry decal application Clean dat is da question????

Clean

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:38 PM »

Was planning wet, based on everything I have read, and to be perfectly honest, this is the part of the build I have least confidence about!  :shocked:

Help, already!  :-[

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it built mate  :daumenhoch:

You didn't hang around getting all the bits   ;D
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:42 PM »

Was planning wet, based on everything I have read, and to be perfectly honest, this is the part of the build I have least confidence about!  :shocked:

Decals are easy, just take your time and remember your water squirty bottle set to fine spray.  :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:43 PM »

You are old enough to know it should always be done wet.  ;)  I've done loads of decal application at work and slippery is the way to go, allows repositioning.  Warm water with a touch of washing up liquid.  Note, a TOUCH...

And a word of warning based on my experience last night putting the new Tuffs on.  The axle sizes are too big for the front forks!  By about half a mm. Tw@ts.  I managed to get em in with the help of a hammer and a bit of 'muffler' but not easy.  

Bet you can't wait to get started!
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Clean

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:50 PM »
And a word of warning based on my experience last night putting the new Tuffs on.  The axle sizes are too big for the front forks!  By about half a mm. Tw@ts.  I managed to get em in with the help of a hammer and a bit of 'muffler' but not easy.  

You are fooking joking, mate?   :wtf:

Too big for the Aero Forks???  >:(

I thought the Tuffs were a standard 10mm, like the forks???   :-\

And what about your nuts? (think very, very carefully before you answer that one, Winsta!)   :2funny:

1mancity2

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:11 PM »
I think he actually means the axle is just a bit to long, not in the drop outs but width ways, just push your forks a part a bit then the wheel should slot home. you may need to nut the axles down after as well, new ones are quite long unless your putting stunt nuts on  :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:17 PM »
He actually means the old axles had flats to insert them into the forks and the new axles are round. Take a file to them and put two flats on there :daumenhoch:

Clean

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:17 PM »
I think he actually means the axle is just a bit to long, not in the drop outs but width ways, just push your forks a part a bit then the wheel should slot home. you may need to nut the axles down after as well, new ones are quite long unless your putting stunt nuts on  :daumenhoch:

Cheers, fella. Phew.

By the way, I think I have omitted to give a particularly big "Thank you" to a certain 1mancity2 for directing me to RADBMX a couple of weeks ago, when I was taking Thread grief from some guys over at another Forum (think Nottingham Cycle manufacturer on fire), for not wanting to be era-correct.

Nice, one, mate; couldn't have / wouldn't have done it without you.......  :4_17_5:

....... or is that actually "it's all your fault"? ???

:smitten:

Clean

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 01:27 PM »
He actually means the old axles had flats to insert them into the forks and the new axles are round. Take a file to them and put two flats on there :daumenhoch:

That requires a level of confidence and technical ability, not to mention a handtool, far beyond my current scope.  :shocked:

Arse.  :'(

Tuffs land tomorrow, hopefully, and with the missus at work on Sunday (an NHS Angel), I am planning a day of building, riding and breaking bones (boy, oh boy, did I just tempt fate?!?).

I will see how I get on without clonking, filing and grinding stuff before coming back here for help. :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:48 PM »

Bingo!  Give that man a prize  :daumenhoch:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

griff

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:55 PM »
nice! see you wasted no time getting the pink decals off (or did mark keep them as a memento?)
thanks for blaming me for the elina too, I'm not claiming any responsibility but if the abuse gets too much you can always find sanctuary in the Elina thread

what Brett said about the axles is spot on - I had NS tuffs which I had to get flats filed into, also took them to a bloke down the road to be shortened/rounded off as they were so long (fooker charged me £20 but serves me right for being desperate). easy enough to get done if you can find any metalworking-type peeps though or at a push I think you can get replacement axles with flats already in em which are a more sensible length

not sure about aero forks vs haro, but once the axles are in check how much play is there - mine needed a 'top-hat' style axle washer to hold em firmly in place (no pic to hand, but think key-hole shaped dropout as the ends are narrower than the bit where the axle sits) they were a bugger to find without using vertego but thanks to rad I managed to get a pair and keep my bike 100% biaggio-free

enjoy the ride!

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58 PM »
nice! see you wasted no time getting the pink decals off (or did mark keep them as a memento?)
thanks for blaming me for the elina too, I'm not claiming any responsibility but if the abuse gets too much you can always find sanctuary in the Elina thread

what Brett said about the axles is spot on - I had NS tuffs which I had to get flats filed into, also took them to a bloke down the road to be shortened/rounded off as they were so long (fooker charged me £20 but serves me right for being desperate). easy enough to get done if you can find any metalworking-type peeps though or at a push I think you can get replacement axles with flats already in em which are a more sensible length

not sure about aero forks vs haro, but once the axles are in check how much play is there - mine needed a 'top-hat' style axle washer to hold em firmly in place (no pic to hand, but think key-hole shaped dropout as the ends are narrower than the bit where the axle sits) they were a bugger to find without using vertego but thanks to rad I managed to get a pair and keep my bike 100% biaggio-free

enjoy the ride!

No need for the top hat washers on a Reflex Griff :daumenhoch:

Clean

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 02:15 PM »

Removal of the Pink Decals was part of the Terms and Conditions of Sale, and our Ferret did a smashing job. A top RAD Seller, and he even through in the Pads and Chain for nowt! What a top chap!  :daumenhoch:

thanks for blaming me for the elina too, I'm not claiming any responsibility but if the abuse gets too much you can always find sanctuary in the Elina thread!

I wasn't blaming you, mate; I was thanking you!  :angel:

BTW judging by the amount of storage dust on my UL SP, I have bought an Original!!!  ;)

I had assumed that fitting the bloody wheels would be the easiest bit after the Stem, FFS!!!  :10_2_12:

Why, oh why, do these people have to make what should be so simple, easy and quick, so fooking complicated?  :Aresehole:

No one mentioned this to me; was this a little RADBMX surprise pressie for my NoOb Build?  ;D

Chrome now degreased with Nail Varnish Remover courtesy of our lass; Decal hell / heaven on it's way, wet stylee!  :buck2:

Clean.  :coolsmiley:

1mancity2

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Take your time bud and all will be fine  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 02:39 PM »
LoL, I think the correct term is 100% Badger-free Griff ;-D

Come on lads, if you were a teenager you'd have taken a file and a hack-saw to those Skyway spindles and been riding them 5mins out the box, so man up and do it yourself or get a woman to do it for you!

Just remember to put the wheel nut on first, cut the axles then file the burrs off before you finally wind the nuts back off. If the threads are still tight, don't wind the nuts all the way off, work them backwards and forwards to clear the swarf and burrs out of the threads. If you're still struggling, wind the nuts back on out of the way and file the ends with a 45 degree chamfer and repeat the thread-clearing process.

Seriously, did you not do metalwork at school ffs? If you come back on here asking which end of the file to hold I can't gaurentee it will be a few hundred posts safety zone before I start taking the pish... >;-)

When you're on your 20th build you'll be putting a rider together A-Team style with blocks of wood to blat the bearing cups in and have it from a box of bits to down the skatepark in 20mins... ;-D
Still limping......

1mancity2

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 02:52 PM »
Yeah, so there  :LolLolLolLol:

griff

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 03:10 PM »
dear spen

I only did one year of metalwork (including melting perspex lessons) at school and didn't manage to achieve anything other than

a) making copper go different colours the hotter it got, then hitting it with a little toffee hammer to make dents in it
b) burning off michael francis' fringe + eyebrows because he took too long to light the gas/air thing so we could do a)

seeing as michael francis was a big rugby playing type I was lucky I didn't get a beating (can still smell the burning hair)

anyway, before I had chance to find out which file I needed for my axles hutchman came to the rescue, and the start of a beautiful friendship began
and someone else told me to use an engineer to get the ends nicely profiled, so there!

next thing you'll be telling me to fit my brake pads myself  ;D

see you on the 9th big boy  :daumenhoch:

Clean

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12 PM »

a) making copper go different colours the hotter it got, then hitting it with a little toffee hammer to make dents in it
b) burning off michael francis' fringe + eyebrows because he took too long to light the gas/air thing so we could do a)

seeing as michael francis was a big rugby playing type I was lucky I didn't get a beating (can still smell the burning hair)

ROFLMAO  :2funny:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09 PM »

Dremmel ...
You are old enough to know it should always be done wet.  ;)  I've done loads of decal application at work and slippery is the way to go, allows repositioning.  Warm water with a touch of washing up liquid.  Note, a TOUCH...

Bet you can't wait to get started!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Griff, me and Hootski (my brother Simon) can offer years of A-Team style fixing things advice due to a miss-spent youth in our dad's engineering machine shop and my career in bridge-building since then.

Only one thing is variable bud, and that's just now I use bigger hammers ;-D

My brother once fixed a canal boat engine with a pen in the middle of Warrickshire as we were further than he was prepared to walk away from the next pub and fixed a tunnel boring machine when he was working in the middle of nowhere in Peru (so they could make their flight home) with plywood & gaffer-tape and is a natural genius at fixing anything mechanical. I jacked an 8,000T bridge into final position on a freezing cold Christmas day with a concrete motorway barrier and an old engine hoist (along with a 20,000T hydraulic jacking system) but just don't ask me to do a final tension on the spokes on my wheel builds as that's too tricky... ;-)

Doesn't mean to say we can fix your squeaky shite brakes, but we'll have a good go bud and I'll still give the new boy DJ Clean here a bit of a hard time if he can't bolt a set of Tuffs into his bike ;-D

Here's the "fix-it" gazeebo last year at MK with Hootski taking a rest from fixing stuff for 5mins.....

He needed the rest as this was the camp-fire at 8am after 3.5hrs sleep at MK last year :2funny:

Here's one of my bridges - this one's on the A12/M11 link road with Hootski in his dashing hi-vis controlling the jacks - I must have been mad :uglystupid2:

And here's another Christmas day job down in Ashford on the CTRL (Eurotunnel High Speed One) Line - we get all the glamorous jobs..... how to construct a new railway bridge in 31 hours :coolsmiley:

I'll get my coat, you're bored now aren't you....

So Griff, you riding your Master at the Boardroom in a couple of weeks? I'm bringing my Sport for it's maiden flying lesson as my NS 21" TT, 22" wheel monster was great on the jump box but too long and heavy in the bowl to turn... And it needs a scar or two as I always ride all my bikes eventually!

Now then Clean, you got that Reflex built ready for Chester on Saturday yet bud?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:04 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 07:01 PM »
I offered him a bike to ride around on so there is no excuse really. Come on Richard Chester is calling and there is a bike waiting for you :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aero Reflex nOoB Build Phase 1..... Deliveries! (Pic Heavy)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx