gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:55 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX crank owners, have a ? for you..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shimano DX crank owners, have a ? for you..  (Read 5968 times)

MSMXII

Shimano DX crank owners, have a ? for you..
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:20 AM »
who's running a set of OS Shimano DX's with a sealed bottom bracket? I'm going to be running a set on my new build and want to convert the looseball and cone they came with to a setup that uses sealed cartridge bearings. American BB or eur coversion, It doesn't matter to me,  as long as I can use the stock DX spindle.

Any help/info would be greatl appreciated...thx guys  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:22 AM by MSMXII »

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Shimano DX crank owners, have a ? for you..
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:07 AM »
they all came with loose ball as far as i'm aware, and due to the unique axle i dont think they have ever been made.....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:31 AM »
they all came with loose ball as far as i'm aware, and due to the unique axle i dont think they have ever been made.....

Exactly what Sam said above I'dve thought  :-\

The Sugino CV BB ( same as HLT cranks) are a threaded axle sealed bearing BB O/S set  ,, but do not have the all important splined edge to carry the spider for a DX crank set up  :-\

As they say round here

" I think tha's puncin' up brew "

or you're gonna really really struggle  :-\

Why is it so important for them to be sealedbb any anyway

If the BB is fitted and greased correctly it would be fine  ???  :)

,,if you're thinking about using in competition (racing)half seriously ,, sell the DX and get Redline 401's with the Techmatic sealed BB  ::)  :4_17_5:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:35 AM »
I suppose you could modify/ruin the axle by machining the threads of to a certain diameter to install cups with sealed bearigs cartridges , but that would be  :-X  :police:

So not impossible  :)

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04 AM »
One option could be to use the standard bottom bracket, well greased, and use the outer plastic guards from a modern semi-sealed bottom bracket kit eg:
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/163/bb4jsa/4-jeri-smart-arse-bmx-bottom-bracket.html

monkian

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:04 AM »

MSMXII

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:42 PM »

Correct you are sir  ;) They all came from the factory with a sealed mechanism cone and loosebal, but I'm looking to upgrade due to the fact that I live on the ocean and looseball systems take a beating quick.

I don't want the hassle and maintenence the looseball and cage bearing offers you, plus I like to ride and usually end up beating the looseball setups to pieces rather quickly.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:02 AM by MSMXII »

MSMXII

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Would this be any use?:
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=113466.0

Thanks for chiming in, I see you really dug deep and found this post as well  ;) This is how I found the site... I was browsing the net and ran across this very same post.

This is exactly what I'm wanting to do since I'm sure it MUST use sealed bearings of some sort. I did contact the memebr that owns that P.K. and all he was able to tell me was that the BB was a Kajita branded unit.

It seems that whatever BB it is it allowed use of the original spindle  :) Now if I could only figure out what model # it is and where to source one, I would be set  :)  PLEASE HELP!!...Mr P.K. Ripper man  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:12 PM by MSMXII »

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:47 PM »
I don't know .. but good to see you over on rad marc  :daumenhoch:

MSMXII

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:50 PM »

Exactly what Sam said above I'dve thought  :-\

The Sugino CV BB ( same as HLT cranks) are a threaded axle sealed bearing BB O/S set  ,, but do not have the all important splined edge to carry the spider for a DX crank set up  :-\

As they say round here

" I think tha's puncin' up brew "

or you're gonna really really struggle  :-\

Why is it so important for them to be sealedbb any anyway

If the BB is fitted and greased correctly it would be fine  ???  :)

,,if you're thinking about using in competition (racing)half seriously ,, sell the DX and get Redline 401's with the Techmatic sealed BB  ::)  :4_17_5:

8) this I'll have to check into. Maybe it will allow the use of the stock DX spindle? Depending on if it's 24 or 28tpi and if it accepts a 5/8" axle. If so then it's a possibility  ;)

Thanks for the help/idea, much appreciated,

Marc
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:57 PM by MSMXII »

monkian

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:53 PM »

I don't know either :LolLolLolLol:

MSMXII

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:56 PM »

Right on my friend for the welcome...very  8)  :) I usually spend all my time over at the Museum and live under the same name. I found this place while browsing for an answer to my question.   :)

I've had more members and people willing to help here then anywhere else, seems like a very "RAD" place to visit...thanks for all the input so far all  ;)

MSMXII

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 09:03 PM »
One option could be to use the standard bottom bracket, well greased, and use the outer plastic guards from a modern semi-sealed bottom bracket kit eg:
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/163/bb4jsa/4-jeri-smart-arse-bmx-bottom-bracket.html

Basically, in it's stock form that's what the DX cranks came with. They are a cone and loosebal setup and they have these cool plastic cones that slip over the cup edges and somewhat seal the bearings from the elements.

Ideally I just want to have a total sealed cartridge bearing setup for lack of maintenance and better performance. If I find a setup that uses cartridge's then I can use full ceramics or Hybrids, huge difference in performance and smoothness compared to a OS ball and cage.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:14 PM by MSMXII »

MSMXII

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 03:16 AM »
Well it was a longshot but I figured I would at least ask first. Looks like it's time to have a custom spindle made  :daumenhoch:

Offline senzo milano

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 09:55 PM »
I also have an question....

ever seen one like these...

Shimano DX cranks , with Motobecane written on it... Its a two speed ....dubble blade  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
i did find it last weekend . It came from a new OS Motobecane ...and it was never used. They changed the Motobecane  to single speed ..

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:41 AM by senzo milano »
Big bobbles ,no troubles

MSMXII

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Nice score  ;) You don't see too many of those re-branded DX's  http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/motobecane/34835

Offline senzo milano

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 06:26 AM »
Nice score  ;) You don't see too many of those re-branded DX's  http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/motobecane/34835

think so..but this is a two speed crank. The one on the link is one speed.

Very rare any way...  :smitten: :daumenhoch:
Big bobbles ,no troubles

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45 AM »
That Motobecane was marketed over here as the Yamaha BYZ  , same build spec too  :smitten:

Offline senzo milano

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Bought some new Shimano DX crank decals from Dell

and there shimano dx again  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Big bobbles ,no troubles

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX crank owners, have a ? for you..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx