gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 Master resto
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1985 Master resto  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
1985 Master resto
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Hi all. I'm keen to try and keep one of my survivor masters original paint/decals then do this up with all green bits. I bought this from a chap on here last year, admittedly he didn't quite explain the sheer number of chips on it or the gloss paint that has gone yellow, but its all cool, I was happy to get one in original survivor condition :) My aim is to remove the yellowing paint somehow, then spend time to touch up each and every chip with enamel paint and flat back and tidy up. So what would you recommend to take off this yellowing paint but not affect the original paint. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt  :daumenhoch:

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: 1985 Master resto
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Will white spirit not take it off without touching original paint Matt?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Marc hi mate, I dunno but i'll try that out for sure this weekend, thanks. :daumenhoch:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:30 AM »
survivor is survivor matt. warts an all imo. built with some nice parts that would look awesome as is
 :shocked: them dropouts look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet  :smitten:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47 AM »
survivor is survivor matt. warts an all imo. built with some nice parts that would look awesome as is
 :shocked: them dropouts look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet  :smitten:

I do agree with that fella, but Dom and Jay have done some cracking resto's preserving the original paint recently and they really do look amazing. If Dom reads this hopefully he can attach the photos of Jay's work, truly incredible  :4_17_5:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:01 AM »
only notices that yellow stuff when i went back for another look. sure you aint got excited over this one matt and dropped some of your homemade tickletackle paint on it  :2funny:

looks like interior satin or summat  :idiot2: as marc said have a go with some white spirit on one of those cotton wool buds ( do the top of the forks part first and it may come straight off )

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Try using something like Meguiars Scratch X on the yellowing, it's a very gentle compound designed for light swirls and paint blemishes.  Although that may not be yellowing of the OG paint, it could be yellowing of something used to touch it in previously  :-\ .

Also get a small tin of paint made up at a paint shop and touch up using a very good quality model painters brush.  Sam (Meticulus) might even be able to offer some advice in this area as he would do similar on stone chips and the like in his daily business  :daumenhoch: .

It does look a nice as it is though (without the yellowing)  :coolsmiley: .

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Is deffo gloss paint or something, not the original paint that's yellowing, whatever was touched up on it has turned yellow and it looks like gloss paint too  :-\

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Matt, first up, you have a nice example of a very early 85 master frameset. The serial is March but its actually the first month of production and this is the 103rd frame made. Another nice feature of early 85's is the lack of "Knurling" on the chainstays. This started to appear in or around may have '85 and contnued for years after.

As far as the resto of that frame, as far as i know Jay uses Gloss appliance white from Halfords which is a pretty clean shade of white. I have done a few bits with it, but not anything as good as jay. Heres a few pictures of the first gen white sport survivor that i found a couple of years ago. It was in decent shape but with some TLC and a lot of patience, it now looks pretty amazing. Just goes to show that the nitormoors isnt always the best option.... well done for keeping it OG..

Great work...

Before

After

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Stunning that Dom and i'm stoked about having an 1985 being 103rd made considering they made thousands and thousands, nice one, I need to go in the loft and see what my other serials are   ;) I do intend to keep it original and this appliance white for the dropouts especially could be a way to resolve them and keep everything else intact. Those pics of the before and after as I said on museum look stunning, Jay is one clever lad!  :4_17_5:

squigly

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55 AM »
If you want 'pure' white you can ask for a tin of the 'schema' base white, this is the base paint used in paint shops to mix other colours, its the brightest cleanest white paint you can get.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Have you tried using your fingernail to scrap it off?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 Master resto

gfxgfx
gfx gfx