gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  LHD crank setup
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: LHD crank setup  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
LHD crank setup
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Hi guys.

My next project is to build a LHD bike, because when my mullered ankle is better, I'm going to be learning peg stalls and other such pain inflicting mayhem!

Anyhow, found a LHD freewheel hub and 14t sprocket, got me a GT 37t chainring and a 110 spider, I think initially its going on a 98 performer thats lurking under the bench.

So its the cranks to sort next, can I use a normal 3 piece on the wrong way round?, I know the pedals will be trying to unwind, but is this a problem? I did have some cranks with the chainwheel bolt on both sides, but they got pinched, and I don't want to spend £100 or more to replace them.

Comments appreciated as always.

Mark M
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

waza04

Re: LHD crank setup
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:20 PM »
can't see it being a prob mate, drop a spot of thread lock on the threads........  :daumenhoch:

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Yeah, was thinking that.

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24 PM »
putting the crank drive on backwards will be fine. The only problem is most pedal cadges are "handed" (like DXs) and will feel really bad on the wrong side. You can swap the pedal spindles round. Its even easier if your pedals have sealed bearings. I got a LHD crank a few months ago. Untill then Ive been using a RHD crank on the wrong side .... for about 20 years!

I know the pedals will be trying to unwind

Urban Myth! When on CORRECTLY pedals try to unwind. Its a saftey thing with toe clips in mind.

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Cheers Alex, thats all I needed to know, I have just remebered I have a set of federal cranks on my `Goose in France that have both sides threaded, but not going over untill summer, so will use the normal ones I have here and swap later.

Cheers

MM

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:59 PM »
whats the point of lhd, can some one enlighten me ?

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:04 PM »

Its so the chain is out of the way if you do your grinds on the right side. Its not so important now cos chainrings are so small but its still nicer to grind on the other side to the chain.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:11 PM »
37-14 sounds abit spinny, But should be OK in a park.
Was at rOm the other Sunday and some poor kid was spinning his legs off, Looked like he was running 25-16.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Was at rOm the other Sunday and some poor kid was spinning his legs off, Looked like he was running 25-16.  :LolLolLolLol:

ha ha ive seen kids running 25-16, my lad pestered me for ages for a 25t front, and it took me ages to explain to him that he would need a whole new real wheel too to get the gearing down [he's 10 btw] now when out he see's kids running 25-16 and goes to explain to them why its wrong!!!

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26 PM »

Its so the chain is out of the way if you do your grinds on the right side. Its not so important now cos chainrings are so small but its still nicer to grind on the other side to the chain.
why not just do grinds on the left hand side?

SaMAlex

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 09:31 PM »

IM guessing you dont run pegs?

The side you "want" to grind on, or the way you prefer to spin 360, or the foot you have forward on a skate/surf/snow board is some inbuilt thing. Some think its to do with the way you first try it, or the person who you first rode with, or maybe some way your brain works, but once you have a preferred way its pretty much set. Like being left or right handed. Doing stuff on the "wrong side" or spinning the "wrong way" or skating "switch stance" is a whole 'nother trick.

Loads of new school kids can grind on both sides, same as some new skater kids can skate both ways, but its just way harder, esp for old gits set in their ways.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 09:37 PM »

IM guessing you dont run pegs?

The side you "want" to grind on, or the way you prefer to spin 360, or the foot you have forward on a skate/surf/snow board is some inbuilt thing. Some think its to do with the way you first try it, or the person who you first rode with, or maybe some way your brain works, but once you have a preferred way its pretty much set. Like being left or right handed. Doing stuff on the "wrong side" or spinning the "wrong way" or skating "switch stance" is a whole 'nother trick.

Loads of new school kids can grind on both sides, same as some new skater kids can skate both ways, but its just way harder, esp for old gits set in their ways.
cheers, guessed it was something like that  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39 PM »
tbh mark I'd be impressed just to see you ride a bike to the shops  ;D

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:42 AM »

Almost identical to 42-16, which is my favourite for general riding, and a sort of `halfway house' between new and old school.

tbh mark I'd be impressed just to see you ride a bike to the shops 

Managed to roll around the boardroom a few times on Saturday, but not able to put any kind of weight on my ankle, still nice to be sat at the top of a ramp though! Can't be long now till its all fixed!!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 01:35 PM »
mark, have a look at BMXCITY's ebay shop as they've got some killer LHD cassette rear wheel deals! some on there for about £50/£60 with a LHD hub  :daumenhoch:

that way you can go lower on the front and not risk banging your chainring (sprocket) on coping  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 01:53 PM »

you make it look p1ss easy....which it isn't...i can hardly get near the coping wrong way, let alone try to grind.   :LolLolLolLol:

hey did you know that George French invented LHD?   :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59 PM »
you make it look p1ss easy....which it isn't...i can hardly get near the coping wrong way, let alone try to grind.

Yeah, i got the chain out of the way on the Left side, and then put 4 pegs on and learnt grinds the other way. DOH!  :crazy2:  :LolLolLolLol:

JT71

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:06 PM »
another thread shutdown Mr Leech.  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  LHD crank setup

gfxgfx
gfx gfx