gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mystery Machine brake problem, the excitement is short lived
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mystery Machine brake problem, the excitement is short lived  (Read 778 times)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
some of you had a read of the up date to the ongoing budget build , last up date being a little progress on the braking,  so here's a little more,

as the title states the excitement was short lived , with the cable hanger in place i  found an old Powerglide cable and some dc levers mx122 i think?       not tech 3 :'( ,            all in with the spares box  so fit the constraints of the project , got it all put together and fitted to try out a roll , like a kiddies training bike ( no cranks yet )   :LolLolLolLol:   , pulled the brake and thought mmmmmmmm i'm sure i remember this brake being a lot better than this , had a closer look and the angle from the cable hanger to the bridge cable was to steep meaning that the brake arms were flexing upwards as more pressure was applied    >:(  >:(    , so back to the drawing board as far as stopping was concerned   :'(     :LolLolLolLol:    still no biggy bound to get it sorted

i've had these for ages , they were on the Wilson cruiser and in a sorry state not realy done anything with em aside from meaning to throw them away ,then  trying to sell em along with some mx1000a's a while ago, being a bit nieve at the time, i was promtly corrected by more knowlegeble folk that they were not what i said , tbh i did not know there was a difference between 1000's 1000a's , long time since i owned any new ones  ;D

dug em out the spares box and thought i'd give em go  , the chrome is shot and the centers are pitted from the original washers that rusted away,  the bolt is stuck on the wilson and i know it will snap off if i try to remove it so it can stay there,        out with the jewelry files and gently remove that expensive alloy with the price of nos set it's about the same price as  gold  :LolLolLolLol:

more to follow  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:12 AM by oldtired »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Re: Mystery Machine brake issue, the excitement is short lived
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21 PM »
 bit more

gently gently filey monkey  ;D     not to bad should be ok with the washers on

now to the hardware will have to rob some bits from another caliper or two

the cable clamp area is pretty well damaged so will have to pack it with washers, found one with a shaped washer on looks like it will fit,    top left

give all the rusty bits the buffer treatment , and bung it all together  :daumenhoch:

after about an hour of tinkering the result is one partial survivour MX1000   :daumenhoch:  there's no micro adjust thingy but not to bothered about that            hp with the result   should look ok on  the bike :)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
Re: Mystery Machine brake problem, the excitement is short lived
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:30 PM »
coolio dude  :daumenhoch:, is this gonna save you in the summer series  :D

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Re: Mystery Machine brake problem, the excitement is short lived
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:58 PM »
 nice one,    :LolLolLolLol:          done a bit of roll around test on it   , verdict    it's rubbish     :LolLolLolLol:   forgot how bad they were   ;D    stick with the pitbull i think  ;)   

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mystery Machine brake problem, the excitement is short lived

gfxgfx
gfx gfx