gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 02:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Tyre size set up for o/s race bike ??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tyre size set up for o/s race bike ??  (Read 692 times)

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Tyre size set up for o/s race bike ??
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Hi peeps,   whats the standard tyre size frt and rr for an old school racer?? im lookin to buy a repop set of tioga comp 3s and the seller is listing pairs with sizes front 1.75 and rear 2.125  is this standard drill with you guys who race, and was it the same bitd ? the seller does say you can mix and have what size you want of the two sizes stated,also they will be going on skyways so are these good to go either way  :daumenhoch:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Tyre size set up for o/s race bike ??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 04:36 PM »
1.75 on skyways mate. the fat en should be a front popular with some but not on skyways imo  :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:46 PM »
1.75 on skyways mate. the fat en should be a front popular with some but not on skyways imo  :daumenhoch:
cheers bud i just assumed the fat would be on rear for some reason but either way new it was pushing it for pop off  :LolLolLolLol: although sayin that ive got 1.95s freestyle on mine and have had no probs but that is the max for me i think ,1.75 it is then  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Yep, 2.125" fattie on the front, 1.75" thin on the rear but try the Radshop Rick for yellow label Compe's, Dave was doing deals on the combo I thought.
Still limping......

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Yep, 2.125" fattie on the front, 1.75" thin on the rear but try the Radshop Rick for yellow label Compe's, Dave was doing deals on the combo I thought.
cheers bud will av a shufties  :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:04 PM »
well its finally come to me why i thought skinny tyre front and fatty rear its because of speedway and (stock car) where i spent many a week night with the old man during early 70s at belle view and peter collins was the man  but i was only a toddler and dont remember him ,dam  :LolLolLolLol: i can still here the roar tho !!  :daumenhoch:

ThisBitterPill

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:03 PM »
well its finally come to me why i thought skinny tyre front and fatty rear its because of speedway and (stock car) where i spent many a week night with the old man during early 70s at belle view and peter collins was the man  but i was only a toddler and dont remember him ,dam  :LolLolLolLol: i can still here the roar tho !!  :daumenhoch:

I hear ya!....I used to go to Wimbledon with my Dad....He worked in shipping at Heathrow and one night we took a newly imported helmet to Peter Collins....Got to go and see him in the pits while he was setting his bike up....  :daumenhoch:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Fat/thin tyre combo and forget tuffs on an os race bike, too much flex, get some spoked wheels for it...  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22 PM »
IMO 2.125 Comp III are not very good for racing. They don't bite into the surface well and are extra weight that's not needed.

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Definately skinny-skinny on spokes for racing. Skyway Graphites might be worth a crack, again on skinny-skinny but will still be heavier than spokes.

Why not buy 2 skinny and 1 fat and have a go for yourself, you will definately see the difference!

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Fat/thin combo is a popular choice with a lot Rick , It gives that bit more stability I reckon  and might be psychologicaly safer , more rubber on the ground  :daumenhoch:

But I've always rode Thin/thin on my O's racer rides  ;)

As for Tuffs if you can ride ok with em , cool , do it ,proper ol' school

but Spokes are a superior part to use  ;)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39 AM »

Fat/thin is quite often used by bigger/quicker guys for more bite in turns , Spens & lightweights use thin/thin  :2funny:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:42 AM »
deffo thin/thin (1.75)
fat front came on a lot of bikes as standard bitd but most people soon swaped them for a 1.75
they handle a lot better (imo)
skyways are ok but you get a lot of flex with them and they are heavy compared to spokes
i tried one race last year on graphites and found even they were inferior to spokes
as has been said stodgy has repop comp3s which are fine on most tracks  :daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 07:37 AM »

Spens & lightweights use thin/thin  :2funny:

What are you trying to say  :yahoo_silent:

;D

and I'm no lightweight  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Tyre size set up for o/s race bike ??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx