gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Paypal cracking down on GIFT payments ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Paypal cracking down on GIFT payments ?  (Read 689 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Paypal cracking down on GIFT payments ?
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:30 PM »

Recieved this from a US seller from one of the US forums today..........

Hey John, just sent you an email with scan of Receipt attached. Also just wanted to give a heads up about Paypal cracking down on payments sent as "gifts".  If Paypal sees multiple Gift payments coming in with the Item and Address listed in the message box they will either disallow the user from receiving funds sent as gift permanently or take their % anyway and change the transaction from gift to goods. Neither has happened to me yet as I don't normally ask for gift payment or receive them very often, but the last 4 payments members chose to send as gift all had the item/shipping info given to Paypal. I understand buyers wanting to make sure sellers have their shipping info, but if buyers are willing to trust sellers with a gift plus can send their info through PM anyway, seems like an unnecessary risk to the seller and could defeat the whole purpose in the end if sellers start losing the gift loophole.  I do appreciate you sending it as gift and the little extra that Paypal didn't get to take, but I also accept that they have to make money for services rendered, so that's why I left it up to you. Just something to think about the next time you send funds as gift and I forewarned the others too about Paypal trying to stop the abusing of Gift payments.

Interesting............

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: Paypal cracking down on GIFT payments ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Wen I use gift I generally leave the message blank and use PMs for the message :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40 PM »

I always put the item purchased as subject matter and my address in the email, always have  :-\

Makes it easier to search out the payment if need be and just feels "right"  ???

That may have to change in the future then  :(

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:11 AM »
Well that's a cock then  >:(

most of two years have been P&G - it's only ebay and one or two that don't know what p&g is

well it's been a good run and have saved a bit of money

right who's got the next little trick then  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31 AM »

Was bound to happen .

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Will have to go back to cheques and wait a little longer :(
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

ozone

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Surely Paypal would send an email to users warning them not to abuse the gift option as part of this crackdown.   :-\

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:16 AM »

Surely Paypal would send an email to users warning them not to abuse the gift option as part of this crackdown.   :-\

Apparently they do.........

We recently changed our pricing so that all PayPal customers can receive money from friends and family within the US for free. PayPal merchants receiving money as payment for a purchase, continue to incur fees.

We’re not sure if you are aware of this, but we noticed that some of your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases. Unfortunately, this violates our rules, and we need your help correcting this. Please don’t ask or allow your customers to use personal payments to pay for their purchases. If we continue to see such activity after Oct.28, 2010, we may have to disable your ability to receive personal payments, and then you will pay fees for all money received through PayPal.

You can find more information about payment types and fees in sections 4.2 and 8 of our User Agreement – just click “Legal Agreements” at the bottom of any PayPal page. If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a mistake, please contact us at p2p@paypal.com. Thank you for helping us resolve this matter.

Regards,

Paypal team

Maybe it only applies to accounts registered as a business though ?  ???

ozone

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:03 PM »

Apparently they do.........

We recently changed our pricing so that all PayPal customers can receive money from friends and family within the US for free. PayPal merchants receiving money as payment for a purchase, continue to incur fees.

We’re not sure if you are aware of this, but we noticed that some of your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases. Unfortunately, this violates our rules, and we need your help correcting this. Please don’t ask or allow your customers to use personal payments to pay for their purchases. If we continue to see such activity after Oct.28, 2010, we may have to disable your ability to receive personal payments, and then you will pay fees for all money received through PayPal.

You can find more information about payment types and fees in sections 4.2 and 8 of our User Agreement – just click “Legal Agreements” at the bottom of any PayPal page. If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a mistake, please contact us at p2p@paypal.com. Thank you for helping us resolve this matter.

Regards,

Paypal team

Maybe it only applies to accounts registered as a business though ?  ???

Maybe it is for business accounts because I've never had an email from them (but I haven't received any gifts in a while though either :'( )  To be fair, I'm amazed it's taken them this long to realise what's been going on.   :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:13 PM by ozone »

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 02:11 PM »
greedy feckers !

you can also send payments as 'personal expense' or 'money owed' without fees.....

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Paypal cracking down on GIFT payments ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx