gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 08:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Rear Brake positions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rear Brake positions  (Read 6518 times)

SaMAlex

Re: Rear Brake positions
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 09:11 AM »
degrees of perfection. We can live long and happy lives with our brakes mounted upstairs or downstairs, just so long as they're set up properly

For sure Rob, for sure. Im splitting hairs here, a well set up Ubrake works .... WELL!
It just winds me up when stuff is designed with an inbuilt flaw, for no reason.

(apart from Captain Chainstay over there...)

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Love you Rob  ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06 AM »
For fear of people thinking Im looking for problems where there are non, I’ve grabbed some pics of rear brakes that help make my point.

Pic 1
Seat stay brake/top tube cable stop: 2, big points of direction change.
A lower standover height and an angled cable stop will help reduce this.
Angled brake arms make NO difference. They sometimes even reduce the problem at the brake, but increase it at the downtube.

Pic 2
Chainstay brake, downtube cable stop: 2 points of direction change, but not as bad.
Angled brake arms do make this neater, but only because it takes some of the direction change and builds it into the brake arm. The miss alignment is still there.

Pic 3
Chainstay brake, seat tube cable stop: 1, tiny point of direction change, but only cos there is a limit to how low you can drill the seat tube. A less low-profile brake would make it better, but then it might hit the chain.

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03 PM »
3 very good pics to illustrate there Al.

First pic of my gold S&M - I HATE HATE HATE the angle of that cable. Iwished I'd rememebred to ask for chainstay lugs. OI may actually have that frame's lugs moved by a frame builder.

Second pic - my Black S&M - I love this brake set up. the cable angle is no where near perfect, but better than the gold bike, and the reason I didnt go for the hole in the seattube is ... read on...

Third Pic - your blue S&M. I love the tidiness of the set up and cable line - but I hate sorking on brakes that have bugger all room for a spanner / allen key and my hands - it's all crammed into that little area . Plus Ive never liked frame tuibes with holes drilled in.
But that said - the cable line is the best on that set up.

There. Sorted.

JT71

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 12:09 PM »
man...I'd hate to see it when Alex DOES get involved!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Heres something i made in the late 90's.
Worked really well.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 01:38 PM »

the reason alexs brakes work so well cos he weighs 3st 4lb

oldschool rider

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Oh the debates over break positioning !!!!!!!!!

Here's my 2p's worth.

On my previous frame Mirraco Blend I had chainstay lugs and using a Demolition Vulcan brake I could run 25/9.

On my current frame Proper TTL I have seatstay lugs and use the same brake.

To be honest theres not any difference in braking power or feel but I much prefered the chainstay lugs, I run a gyro and I just prefer the clean look of a chainstay mounted brake when running a gyro cable on the bottom.

The secret is how you set up your brakes  !!!!!!!!

Setting up brakes is like GOOD SEX !!! Lots of Lubrication and Patience  :2funny:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Captain chainstay  :2funny:

that ones gunna stick  ;D

SaMAlex

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Worked really well.

Hey, Ive just made something very similar to that. Im going to give it ago soon, at the same time as putting a gyro on (for the first time in a few years).

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I've got one of those posh Oddy GTX-R gyros  (I think that's what it's called).  Nice thing, better than the rattly standard jobbies.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Captain Chainstay, Now say it in a Captain Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveman style :LolLolLolLol:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Worked really well.

Hey, Ive just made something very similar to that. Im going to give it ago soon, at the same time as putting a gyro on (for the first time in a few years).

I made something like that years ago too, but mine was more like a wider brake b'stard/london mod though, bolted through the seattube hole, long ago when brakes were on the chainstays  :LolLolLolLol:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Captain chainstay  :2funny:

that ones gunna stick  ;D

I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 08:45 AM »
I KNEW I should have stayed out of this thread!  :LolLolLolLol:

welsh denny

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 09:33 PM »
3 very good pics to illustrate there Al.

First pic of my gold S&M - I HATE HATE HATE the angle of that cable. Iwished I'd rememebred to ask for chainstay lugs. OI may actually have that frame's lugs moved by a frame builder.

Second pic - my Black S&M - I love this brake set up. the cable angle is no where near perfect, but better than the gold bike, and the reason I didnt go for the hole in the seattube is ... read on...

Third Pic - your blue S&M. I love the tidiness of the set up and cable line - but I hate sorking on brakes that have bugger all room for a spanner / allen key and my hands - it's all crammed into that little area . Plus Ive never liked frame tuibes with holes drilled in.
But that said - the cable line is the best on that set up.

There. Sorted.

with regards to pic 1 you could just have a threaded cable stop which drops a couple of mm lower then the current one and welded a little further up the toptube and grind off the one on there already.. the straddle cable may look a little different but will be straighter than shown and will work better.
this was my suelo i welded brake lugs onto

and with a lowered and angled cable stop/adjuster. brake worked a treat-fly seatstay brake i think. shame i didnt get on with the frame so its bare again and banished to the spare room.

back on my dolomite again now and with the fly angled brake its not perfect alignment but with the radbmx 'geese scream'-lol clear brake pads it still stops on a dime.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Rear Brake positions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx