gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 07:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Anyone know how Tange serial #'s work?!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anyone know how Tange serial #'s work?!  (Read 5461 times)

Massive Turndown

Anyone know how Tange serial #'s work?!
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Hi all Radster's,I just wanted to ask the knowledgeable for help on I.D'ing a Tange F@F.It's serial # is located on the left rear dropout and starts as T412CC4***
    Any ideas what make it may be?.It features full teardrop downtube,semi teardrop toptube,redicing 3 hole rear dropouts,Tange stamped teardrop forks with lightening cuts in the dropouts.
    I know Tange made alot of frames for different manufacturers,but my guess is this isn't a Kuwi,definitely not a Raleigh Aero Pro,or a Skyway TA,but possibly a Bonzia or Cyclecraft?.
    I don't have photobucket to post definitive pics but would like any ideas as to the above mentioned serial #
       Cheers Nick.

monkian

Re: Anyone know how Tange serial #'s work?!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Not sure that'll be a Tange frame TBH ???
The Tange stamp is usualy found on the BB although I think there are some rare early exceptions.
Most will (but not all) start with T.

Serial Example:T4AX...
T: Tange / 4: 1984 / A: January / X: Batch Number

I'm pretty sure the Tange made Cycle Pro Bonzai Pro would have been stamped this way but I'm not familar with Cyclecraft.
Hope that's of some use. Pics would help :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:18 PM by monkian »

monkian

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17 PM »

Massive Turndown

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Hey mate,it certainly is something like that lol!!!.Any ideas?,I'm pretty certain you are right,and it is a Bonzai Pro.It's a nice piece of kit,well lush and extremely well looked after,the Sugino crank arrangement is mint!,and so's the Tioga beatrap headset.I wasn't sure if the seller was hiding gubbins on the pics,but everything is Kosher.
  At the buying price,I think it's a bargain,especially with the hardware included!.Not seen any of these in the U.K. before either.
   Cheers Nick.

Massive Turndown

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Another option is it may be a Tange made Akisu?!.I haven't got a clue to be honest! :-X :-X
  Thanks for the input.
         Nick.

Massive Turndown

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Hi monkian,after a bit of research over on Grumble Museum,I believe this to be a Cyclecraft 'Bonzai Pro'.It appears to be similar to the Greg Hill Pro 84 by the same company albeit the forks might have been shuffled about by Tange as a bit of experiment work,as the Greg Hill framesets look like they came with 'TRX' style forks.
   It states that Cyclecraft/Pro never really took off in Britian,but this is a lovely piece of kit with excellent chrome and would definitely build into a nice race bike.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/cycle_pro/40551

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/cycle_pro/10250

Cheers Nick.

ozone

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:47 PM »
£220 posted for that f+f - am I missing something?   :shocked:

monkian

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:21 AM »
Hey mate,it certainly is something like that lol!!!.Any ideas?,I'm pretty certain you are right,and it is a Bonzai Pro.It's a nice piece of kit,well lush and extremely well looked after,the Sugino crank arrangement is mint!,and so's the Tioga beatrap headset.I wasn't sure if the seller was hiding gubbins on the pics,but everything is Kosher.
  At the buying price,I think it's a bargain,especially with the hardware included!.Not seen any of these in the U.K. before either.
   Cheers Nick.

Hi Nick,
Sorry for any confusion but I was trying to say that your frame probably wouldn't be a Bonzai Pro because of the stamp issue.
Comparing the pics, you can see it's definitely not. Note the nice tight welds and aero chain-stays.

I don't think it's a Greg Hill Cycle Pro either. Different drop-outs: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/cycle_pro/16181
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/cycle_pro/18974
Later models seem to have a head-tube gusset.

Akisu made their own frames and had different 3 hole drop-outs: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/akisu/9669

Sorry to be the barer of bad news man but I'm not sure what you've got there.
My best guess would be it's not a Tange made frame :(

retrogeezer

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37 AM »
What Monkian said......and I don't think Tange put great big drain holes in the chain stays behind the BB either. It definitely isn't the Cycle Pro or Greg Hill. It's probably something Akisu made.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:42 AM by retrogeezer »

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:45 AM »
A Akisu made/Tange like serial number

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

retrogeezer

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:53 AM »
and the exact same dropout.

Massive Turndown

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Hey monkian,retrogeezer & bendycat cheers for your input.So we are beginning to fathom that it probably is a Tange made Akisu frame?.The last picture definitely matches up to what I have here.Does anyone else on Rad own one of these?.I've researched the Forks and they appear to be Tange M3's or possibly C3's.It would be nice to know what it definitely is,before I consider flipping it.
     Regards Nick.

monkian

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38 AM »
The forks are Tange made Tioga-Max-Flo.
Let me know if you ever want to sell these on or trade ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:58 AM by monkian »

eamonn

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 10:43 AM »
tinypic will allowyou to upload a photo you dont need an account.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:45 AM by eamonn »

Massive Turndown

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Right guys,what I reckon this is is a 1984 Cyclepro/Tange made Greg Hill Signature frame with Tange M3 forks.It probably originated from Australia.I originally thought it might be an Akisu,but they seem to all feature some kind of drilled gusset,which leads me to believe that it is a Greg Hill,made late 84' destined for 85' production/retail.
   Nice piece of kit!,but quite humorous that none of us can identify it!!.so with that said my most intelligent guess would be that it is a late 84' Tange stamped Greg Hill Pro Signature frame with Tange made M3 forks.The forks don't appear to be the same or stock as the 'TRX' style on Greg's frame,but were probably added as a custom job.. phew!!! this BMX I.D. is quite a lark!.
    Regards Nick.

monkian

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Anyone know how Tange serial #'s work?!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx