gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 07:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  S&M prince albert cranks...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: S&M prince albert cranks...  (Read 1689 times)

thecaptain

S&M prince albert cranks...
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:53 PM »
got these from ebay the other day, they have been welded and also welded to the spindle.

I was wondering if it would be possible to cut the weld from arm to spindle, freeing up the arm in order to replace the spindle, would it be worth it or due to the other weld, would it have siezed the arm to the axle inside.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: S&M prince albert cranks...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Ooof - nasty! They're worth a resto definitely - one word SAWZALL. Drop him a pm and see if they can be decently revived. Bare minimum is new axle, welding and a re-chrome. Worst case is that the teeth on the inside of the arm are shot - would need a new piece machineing, but Sawzall's got a bloke for that as well :)

*ninja edit* or just give them to me ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:03 PM by dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Is that the same side or have BOTH arms been welded to the spindle?

At least its the profile splined spinde so you should be able to get a new one easy enough.

thecaptain

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Is that the same side or have BOTH arms been welded to the spindle?

At least its the profile splined spinde so you should be able to get a new one easy enough.
just one arm, non drive side, its been welded inside the end of the crankarm too ive just found out, loos like it'l need to be drilled out. I think ill keep them as is as the cost of a resto would most likely be more than I paid for them. will more than likely replace my wombolt cranks with these!

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:59 PM »
will more than likely replace my wombolt cranks with these!

You're gunna use them on a rider? Is that a good idea? They werent the strongest cranks at the time, and fixing one side usually just causes the other side to snap.

thecaptain

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:15 PM »
will more than likely replace my wombolt cranks with these!

You're gunna use them on a rider? Is that a good idea? They werent the strongest cranks at the time, and fixing one side usually just causes the other side to snap.
the guy I got them off said he'd been using them since he bought them new, would be kind of a shame not to put these to use

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I wouldn't use 'em in that state - like Alex said they weren't the strongest to start with - snapped crank arm = over the bars, as me front teeth can testify.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

condor96

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 08:13 AM »
i think it would be a shame to put them to use. i was scared of them when they were brand new and 15 year seasoned/fatigued metal doesnt make it any better, not to mention also being rewelded/repaired.    using those for a rider has bad idea written all over it.  trust me, it is NOT fun when cranks fail.  :daumenhoch:

thecaptain

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23 AM »
3 against 1. fair points made, looks like ill have to find another dirtbike for these to go on then, haha

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  S&M prince albert cranks...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx