gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 02:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ripper restoration pole
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ripper restoration pole  (Read 1035 times)

Moza

Ripper restoration pole
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Right the frame is bare alloy and has a few nicks, do I get the filled with weld and go bare alloy or do I fill with catty (car body filler) and go with white with black parts
baby blue with black parts or black with gold parts.

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Ripper restoration pole
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:56 PM »
I would get the crack or whatever filled with ally whether you paint or go raw. You could get someone with access to an ac tig to do the job or ive seen ally rods that are used to repair aluminium engine heads that just need an oxy fuel to melt them.

Matt

Moza

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:58 PM »
I would get the crack or whatever filled with ally whether you paint or go raw. You could get someone with access to an ac tig to do the job or ive seen ally rods that are used to repair aluminium engine heads that just need an oxy fuel to melt them.

Matt

Thanks no cracks just a few deep marks  :-[

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:03 PM »
If they are that bad then you coild still run a bead of weld overth cracks and file then down then polish them when your near flush. I do that with dinks on steel frames but I use a blob of braze then work it down, comes out spot on.

Matt

Moza

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08 PM »
If they are that bad then you coild still run a bead of weld overth cracks and file then down then polish them when your near flush. I do that with dinks on steel frames but I use a blob of braze then work it down, comes out spot on.

Matt

They are not bad just too deep to sand out it would make the frame thin in that area. If I paint i could just stick a little bodyfiller in as they are very small  :daumenhoch:  I can steel weld but not alloy :-[

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:12 PM »
What about Alloy brazing the nicks  ???
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Moza

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:19 PM »
What about Alloy brazing the nicks  ???

Well I was just going to take it to a alloy fabricators that I know of and see what they say :daumenhoch:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Leave as it is complete with its battle scars then you wont be afraid of using it, cant stand over restored stuff!

Give the frame a polish but don't go overboard, if you don't like it get it powdered (baby blue or black)
2 minutes turkish...

Moza

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Leave as it is complete with its battle scars then you wont be afraid of using it, cant stand over restored stuff!

Give the frame a polish but don't go overboard, if you don't like it get it powdered (baby blue or black)

even if its restored im riding it lol, i wont powder it I will spray in in 2k :¬) powder is nice but I feel two thick and I love to see the welds on a Ripper lol

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:23 PM »

I like 'em black n gold personally  :)

Check out Dordy's 2006 BOTY winner.........

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=25438

:coolsmiley:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

daz bmx it!

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Moza,have you got a seatpost for it? pm me if you havent :daumenhoch:

Moza

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Moza,have you got a seatpost for it? pm me if you havent :daumenhoch:

I have an alloy one thanks Daz, ive got a UNI turbo with no post so I might get the post done in ano then glue it in  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ripper restoration pole

gfxgfx
gfx gfx