gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 12:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  skyway tuff 2s flexing ??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway tuff 2s flexing ??  (Read 2047 times)

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
skyway tuff 2s flexing ??
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Hi peeps,now i often read that a lot of riders dont like or hate skyway tuffs because they flex, now is this an issue with racing or with freestyle because at the moment  i dont get it ,surely if everyone was bothered about flex why buy z rims they was and still are all the rage  :smitten: ,bitd  i never had skys i had zytecs instead and what a load sheet they where i shattered two rears on home made dirt jump alone they had zero flex,someone please enlighten me  ;D :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: skyway tuff 2s flexing ??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43 PM »
For young light weight kids tuffs are fine, they flex instead of shattering.
If you're going to ride on them now, I assume you've probably become slightly heavier since then, they will flex alot more and just generally feel crap.  Also they dont support high pressure tyres, which is also better if you're not a 30kg kid!
  ah right with yer, its a good job im still a skinny cnut then so should be ok  :LolLolLolLol:  i love em probably cos i was denied a set as a kid ,fook the flex they look the dogs swingers for me  ;D i am now enlightened  :daumenhoch: cheers..

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59 PM »
No getting away from it, they look the nuts......but with 17 stone on them they flex like fook! I've even had the tyres pop off them as well.

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I'm 14 stone, I had 50 psi in my tyres, never had a problem, getting some more when the time is right.

I dare say if your gonna be getting 4 foot out of a halfpipe and doing some crazy flatland stuff, you may be over egging them a bit, but for a bit of casual 40 year old unradness, the flex can make your landings feel smoother!!!
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:05 AM »
get some skyway graphites, they dont flex half as much....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:08 AM »
try pumping on the vert ramp with them and feel all your power and speed just disapear........like i say i think they look the nuts! and are great for cruising around on but for riding in anger it has to be spokes  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Tuffs do look good (in that 80s way) but for anything close to modern riding they flex all over the place, dont take HP tires and they break pretty easy. I love the story about when Billy Stupple got back into BMX. He pulled some Skyway strings and got a custom pair of new tuffs made (with a coaster I think). They lasted a few weeks till he destroyed them. He then changed to riding spokes.

Brakes dont work to well on tuffs either.

surely if everyone was bothered about flex why buy z rims

Z rims were worse than tuffs. Awful to ride, flexed loads, brakes didnt work, and they caused hub flanges and spokes to snap. And they didnt even look good. Hang on, werent they made by a company who made flanged hubs ....... ? It couldnt have been a marketing stunt to get gullible kids to buy bike parts that werent any good, could it .......?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:40 AM by S&MAlex »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:07 AM »
to be fair i think most people only put Z rims on carpet queens now......i had Z's BITD and they were terrible! they were great for the first day then everyone.....and i mean everyone wanted to do the 'advert' and then you had to have them re-spoked and trued up.  swapped em for blue tuffs  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:17 AM »
dunno what the obsession with Tuff IIs is. They are/were pretty sh1t. Okay they might look nice, in an 80s iconic BMX kind of way, but you know, they look best in pinks, purples, greens and oranges, nice 80s freestyle colours, the more gay the better...but those are just the colours that the "experts" seem to deem hideous, or not nice or whatever.

Oh and 48's came out in 87ish (that's right they were old school, not just mid) look a million times better (calm down it's just my opinion) are stronger and can be trued without putting them in a freezer. (yes I'm well aware that this is an urban myth)

Have a flick through the bikes on RAD, not wanting to knock anyones builds but there's tons of bikes with a set of tuffs stuck on, just 'cause they're old school, even if they make the bike look, or more importantly, ride, shit. Hell I've even seen S&M's with Tuffs...WTF? lol. (just kidding dude, just kidding)

JT71

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I'm looking forward to the "my £200 MX1000s don't actually work" thread. lol.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:21 AM »
to be fair i think most people only put Z rims on carpet queens now......i had Z's BITD and they were terrible! they were great for the first day then everyone.....and i mean everyone wanted to do the 'advert' and then you had to have them re-spoked and trued up.  swapped em for blue tuffs  :daumenhoch:

I raced on Z's for my last season when I was 13  :uglystupid2: I begged my dad for a set finally got then..............they were shocking  :'(
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:35 AM »
i'm 13 stone and run tuffs on a couple of my bikes, i put 60lb pressure in the tyres and have no issues, i run an MX1000 with tuff pads and they WORK, its all about how you set them up  :daumenhoch:

oh i did destroy the cone in my rear at MK10 but got a replacement spindle/cone of Jai, borrowed some tools off Spen69 and was riding again within half an hour and its been fine ever since.
grafites are deffo best though  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:39 AM by 58delray »

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I raced on some tuffs last year in 90f heat, they scared the life out of me on every lap (and everyone watching i think), funny as fook in corners and when I left the ground I never quite new which way the flex would send me  ;D
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

JT71

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:02 AM »

I raced on some tuffs last year in 90f heat

what's that in °C?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 11:34 AM »
I'm looking forward to the "my £200 MX1000s don't actually work" thread. lol.

LOL Joe very true. Me personally I love tuffs, they don't stop you but look great LOL

JT71

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36 AM »
i'm 13 stone and run tuffs on a couple of my bikes, i put 60lb pressure in the tyres and have no issues, i run an MX1000 with tuff pads and they WORK, its all about how you set them up 

you're doing that coca cola round the rim thing aren't you? come on, own up! lol.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 04:27 PM »
i'm 13 stone and run tuffs on a couple of my bikes, i put 60lb pressure in the tyres and have no issues, i run an MX1000 with tuff pads and they WORK, its all about how you set them up 

you're doing that coca cola round the rim thing aren't you? come on, own up! lol.
:LolLolLolLol: nope, whats that one then?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 10:59 AM »
ive managed to get brakes to work on them okay, it's just the feeling as though all the cones are as loose as fook on the rear wheel every time you pedal, you get off and check em after every ride but they're as tight as a fishes arse.......stupid flex!  >:(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  skyway tuff 2s flexing ??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx