gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chain fitting advice please....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: chain fitting advice please....  (Read 528 times)

griff

chain fitting advice please....
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:53 PM »
should be fitting my new chain soon, just wanted to see what people thought about using my old mtb chain splitting tool to shorten/join it back up
it's a KMC INOX stainless one -

should it be ok to do it with one of these? has a built in chain splitter

(or should I buy one of those 'joining links' I keep seeing on ebay?
like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/kmc-z-joining-chain-split-link-bmx-single-3-spd-bike-/180337539873?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item29fcf47b21#ht_500wt_922

I think it should be ok - esp as I don't think the chain I've bought is new tech in any way... what do you reckon?

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: chain fitting advice please....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:55 PM »
looks ok to me bud.   :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:01 PM »
looks ok to me bud.   :daumenhoch:
and me pal,get stuck in if tekin out more than one just do one first for practice ,dead easy ,used hammer and anything thin enough bitd :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Try not to wind the pin in the chain out all the way Griff or you will never get it back in :daumenhoch:

Just wind enough so you can get the  middle section out route chain on the bike and wind the pin back in :4_17_5:

griff

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Try not to wind the pin in the chain out all the way Griff or you will never get it back in :daumenhoch:

Just wind enough so you can get the  middle section out route chain on the bike and wind the pin back in :4_17_5:

I did a practice run on the slightly rusty one that came with the mongoose - seemed ok but was a bit of a pig to get back in (that one was a slightly funny shape link tho so maybe it wasn't sitting properly) haven't been able to ride it yet as was missing some wheel nuts/brake cables but seemed to be holding together ok

cheers

griff

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chain fitting advice please....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx