gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Tuff II's Alloy hubs - Help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Tuff II's Alloy hubs - Help  (Read 2399 times)

RichG41

Skyway Tuff II's Alloy hubs - Help
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Hi

I recently bought a set of black tuff ii's, alloyed hubbed. They grind a bit when I spin them so was going to simply regrease them but before that I noticed that the front axle was very long (much longer than the rear one), it aslo had a different thread so I decided to buy a front and rear rebuild kit from Vertego. These have arrived and I am just about to start fitting them, my question is, what is the best way to remove the old ones? I've undone the nut and have taken out the old axle, I can see all the ball bearings but what is the best way to remove the cup that holds them in? I didn't want to damage the hub?  :idiot2:

I hope this makes sense and any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rich

oldboyburner

Re: Skyway Tuff II's Alloy hubs - Help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:06 PM »
very thin screw driver mate and work it round and it will pop of

did your new kits have these in as they usally do

if si just grab them from the inside wirh a pair of plyers 8)

RichG41

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Many thanks of that, yes they came with new cups so I guess I don't need to be too careful removing the old ones.  :daumenhoch:

As an aside, are the rebuild kits the same for the 16" tuffs? I've got a 1985 Chrome Mini Burner I'm restoring for my son. Again, these run a bit rough. The hubs look a bit different to the 20"

Thanks again for getting back

All the best

Rich

waza04

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25 PM »
mate, sometimes if you slightly over tighten the bearings they feel grunchy! back them off a tad and check again! theres a very thin line between smooth and grunchy, just tightening the lock nuts can make them feel shite! i had some tuffs that felt terrible, fresh grease and reset! all good.  :daumenhoch:

RichG41

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Thanks for that, I'll slacken them off a bit and along with a re-greease see if that helps.

Appreciate your help

Rich  :)

oldboyburner

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:11 AM »
check the steel cups that the bearings sit in aswell as they can wear  ;)

RichG41

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for all your help with my tuffs, I'll hopefully get them done this evening

Thanks again  for all your feedback, much appreciated  :daumenhoch:

Rich

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 06:09 PM »
hi guys. i am new . joined to ask a few questions on this thread. hope im not winding anyone up (me? never!  ^"^ )

so i have a set of tuff 2 s .. old skool . orig . all cream crackered. make that orrible clicking sound when you put a spurt on!

any pointers where to get and how to's on this diy kit..
local bike shop wanting 30 quid a wheel... :tickedoff:
knowing i can get a new set for 65 but not wanting to put an old set out of commission! :'(
many thanks
rob

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Tuff II's Alloy hubs - Help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx