gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 06:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Mongoose Expertise needed...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mongoose Expertise needed...  (Read 7159 times)

kbillan

Mongoose Expertise needed...
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:44 AM »
First of- I apologize that I am not supporting this with images at this time :(

I did not have my camera on hand when I unpacked stuff.

What I have--

I bought an early 80's Californian frame and fork- and then came across a complete bike on craigslist. Really, i just want a bit of help IDing what I have.

Frame 1= in really nice shape. Could use a touch more polishing in the crevices. It is stickered as a Californian, Moorpark with the Serial number M4CJ2837 (just like that-- all one series). The sticker on the top tube says all tubes cro-mo.

Frame 2= in decent shape= needs a good polishing/cleaning. Came with an SA stem and pedals, a crank (not the one i want) and a pair of Troxel Trackmasters (anyone want these?). It is stickered as a Chatsworth Ca frame with serial number (M3-L7490) with a smaller clear sticker under that which says "Made in Taiwan". The sticker on the top tube says "Main frame Cro-Mo"

All stickers on both bikes look OLD. But i suppose anything could be possible...

Both frames seem to have the rear section meeting slightly above the top tube at the seat post. And both frames Serials are on the crank tube running from left to right..

The Chatsworth labeled frame seems to be a bit heavier- though, the crank/stem/fork/chain are all attached still. (ha)

any info would be immensely appreciate.

Keith

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: Mongoose Expertise needed...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:44 PM »

As with your own comment you need pictures up really but here goes.........

M4CJ2837 = October 1984

M3-L7490 = December 1983

The Chatsworth/Moorpark thing is just where mongoose were based in those years and where the USA frames were made but neither of these frames were manufactured in the USA - with an "M" prefix the frame was made by Merida in Taiwan.

The 83 will more than likely be main frame chr-mo rear triangle tubes steel. The 84 will more than likely be all tubes chr-mo.

:daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

kbillan

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Bobafett--  here are the pics i took today. SO- are there US made Cali's and experts out there?

hope this ports right over-- lol (copied from retrogoose)

Here are some pics of my growing collection-

84 Californian frame= MoorPark= all tubes CroMo

83 Californian fram= Chatsworth= Main Frame CroMo

Front fork from 84- stamped CroMo-- 83 has no stamp.

can we Id these bars? Claimed as Mongoose-- look like early 80's era?

another one of the 83' to show the seat post area. Ever so slightly higher than the 84'

maybe tomorrow ill put them right next to each other.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:46 AM »

Cool.

Nice little collection there - what's your build plans for them ?

One with red bits next to one with blue bits could be cool  :coolsmiley:

Your questions..........

are there US made Cali's and experts out there?

Yes.

In these years (83/84) the majority of the mid level and budget level frames were made in Taiwan whereas the "premium" frames were all made in the US i.e. supergoose, pro-class...... but there were also some californian and expert frames made in the US. The thing to look for though is the serial number this tells you where it was manufactured. If it starts with "M" it's a Merida made Taiwan, if not it's BMX Products Inc. made USA.

Examples of USA serial numbers of that period.........

H3001590 (USA August 1983)

G4000399 (USA July 1984)

can we Id these bars? Claimed as Mongoose-- look like early 80's era?

mongoose pro-class type bars..... they were made from various materials and came in various shapes and sizes over the years. Can you get some measurements of them and close up pics of the welds at the cross bar and also pics of the stem clamp area. Any stampings in the stem clamp area ? Any stampings in the grip area ?

The 83 would have come stock like this (notice the different bars):

1983 Californian

The 84 would have had the pro-class bars and possibly a pro-class disc at that point in 84 so it would have looked a bit more like this 1985 model below (but the rims would not have been the hard ano ones shown below):

1985 Californian

:daumenhoch:

kbillan

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:16 AM »
Great info man. Bravo.

The builds= Welp. Im a man of simple and specific tastes LOL. In the early 80s, a few of the Neighborhood kids had the Cali. I was around 5. Unfortunately- Mom and Pop didnt see it necessary to spend 300USD in 1984 on a bicycle for a 5 year old. SO- here I am 25 years later trying to get that same bike. Or-uhm.. a few of them LOL.

Youll also notice in the one pic, the 87 GT performer I scored. That is an identical bike to the one I ultimately ended up getting in 87 and traded away for a dirtbike in the early 90's. Wish i could find THE one- but, this will have to do.

BACK to the Cali's. There will likely be two bikes built, though I am expecting one other complete next week (possiibly two). Once I have built the bikes I want- which will be with black bits, silver MX brakes, Black Pro Class crank and aluminum (NOT hard anodized) wheels with black strips. THe classic mongoose look- basically. One of these bikes will get the better parts, best frame I come across (hopefully US model) and will be built with hopes to look as it did the day it came out of a shop. The other- I am going to attempt to race at the local BMX track. All of the left overs will be offered somewhere- LIKELY at retro-goose as I am in the USA and im betting the main audience here is in Europe/UK.

the handlebars measure about 27" end to end, and nearly 9" from the clamp area to the cross bar. There are no marks on them other than the knurl or serration at the clamp area. They were once painted red, and then stripped. They seem light weight and were claimed to be mongoose bars. Shape looks right for an 84' cali to me. Should they be polished? Plated? just brushed?

anyway- thanks for the info man. It is very appreciated. I originally thought this was going to be it- a couple cali's and then my Performer... but now I am really itching for the Black Chrome Pro Class bike. MAN. that is hot!

thanks again :)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:17 AM »

No problem  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Mongoose Expertise needed...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx