gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 03:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Haro Gen 1 re-issue
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Haro Gen 1 re-issue  (Read 37266 times)

DJ

Re: Haro Gen 1 re-issue
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 09:58 PM »
No word on the drawings.... yet. Did have converstaion about the ride yesterday & can confirm it will run chrome 36's with Suzue Style hubs NOT Tuffs...
As soon as I get drawings I'll get them on here, no worries.
The distrobution has been fu**ed up by the UK distro as they didnt want to "take a risk" on a retro bike (even tho they have them ugly Schwinn things?!) & only ordered minimal 06' Sports BUT I am assured the Gen 1 re-issue will be better available.
As for de-valuing the original Freestyler, I personally cant see how this bike can affect that at all. REAL collectors know the score, a 2007 "lookalike" is never a threat to value. IMO.
Hoping to have more news soon...
dj

YGT

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I just wanted to say, my opinion was not mostly based on the devaluing of market price - but more so tarnishing the legend status of such a historic piece of history.
And the fear this would bring greater attention for people to try and do some knock offs.

DJ

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 11:54 AM »
I was hoping it would be seen more as honouring the legend that is the Generation One Freestyler more than anything? If you are going to do a retro re-issue bike then at least pay homage to the one that started it all, right?
As for knock off's. what about the ones that are on ebay, made in taiwen??? wtf?

theRuler

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006, 07:47 PM »
i am keen to see the spec/size of the new gen 1

if its the same as the original then i'm in!

YGT

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2006, 08:28 PM »
As it may be self evident from my previous posts I am not keen on the idea.
I wont  say I hate the idea, but I am very cautious of this idea.

In regards to hounoring the original design, then I dont think this is a suitable way to show it.
I feel the first primary reason for this bike to be remade is purely cash.

And in regards to paying homage to the original, this can be done better by educating the youth of today through media and articles etc (even an online haro museum) ... rather than selling them a product which most kids will not buy (I believe this is primarily aimed at the over 30's market).

The most amusing thing of this design will be the american ideal of "american built".
Which the original was done .... and this time i suspect it will be taiwan and hopefully not china.

retroing a taiwanese first gen to me is not honouring a piece of history, more so exploiting it (to me)
but I also understand that the needs of a group of over 30's with the ability to come up with the cash is a very tempting idea.

If I was a little bit more radical I would have liked to have seen a website such as haronotretro.com be put into place with the possability to sugest some of these key points of why it may not be a good idea.
I wonder if bob will get a licence fee for each one sold?
I wonder if torker holds any credit for the original design, or if they will recieve any license fee.
I wonder if someone will think the interest generated by this will be enough persuation to make original knock offs
I wonder if bob or haro still has the original artwork or if they needed to purchase retro decals off vert-ego
I wonder if they did, if the artwork is 100% correct .... if not will biagio get a license fee? (concidering it would then legally be seen as original artwork)
I wonder if haro could have simply taken a "mirra" opps i forgot he left .... ok anyother top rider with a big selling name and signature frame and place the artwork on the new school ride without needing to make a half breed.
And finally ......
I wonder if it will trully honour the original design

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2006, 08:35 PM »
well, we'll see.

i wonder if the person who borrowed my umbrella will ever bring it back.
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 10:35 PM »
not likely
he plugged a dyke with it

DJ

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2006, 11:11 PM »
I wonder I wonder I wonder..........
Bob Haro has more to do with Haro than most people know.....
The last time I used this board was to ask what the users here would like to see as the next Re-issue, almost everyone said Gen1 so thats how it came about, thanks to this board its US "brother|" the choice was Gen1 everytime.
As I've said numerous times, not everyone can be pleased can they?  No matter what bike is re-issued by wahtever company then it'll never, never be good enough...

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 11:20 PM »
I wonder I wonder I wonder..........
Bob Haro has more to do with Haro than most people know.....
The last time I used this board was to ask what the users here would like to see as the next Re-issue, almost everyone said Gen1 so thats how it came about, thanks to this board its US "brother|" the choice was Gen1 everytime.
As I've said numerous times, not everyone can be pleased can they?  No matter what bike is re-issued by wahtever company then it'll never, never be good enough...

DJ, a Gen1 is a great idea but there are so many opinions on how it should be done it's difficult to gauge which way to go.  I think a true re-issue would not be the way to go and as a couple of people have said an updated version of the original, with the same geometry but 1 1/8 headset and AD brake lugs would be a great start.   Perhaps calling it a re-issue is the problem, perhaps it should be called a New School Gen1 or something to that effect?  If Bob publicly endorses the bike too that would give it far greater credibility, afterall it should be a homage to the man that brought freestyle riding to the masses and the best ever freestyle bikes too.   :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

theRuler

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 01:11 AM »
i wanna see bob busting a big endo on it.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 11:15 AM »
endotainment
I want to touch ORB

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 01:34 PM »
Must admit, I'd warmly welcome a Haro Gen 1 styled bike I can feel happy riding...bring it on Haro.

Like you said...it was the forums that asked for it! So thank you for listening.

I don't think it will destroy the magic of the original at all.

:daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 01:39 PM »

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Seeing the pic of SE's retro PK, I wondered how Haro's Gen 1 is coming along.  Any more details?
Neil

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2006, 10:08 PM »
come on dj......pics please, or somthing buddy

any word at all

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 12:45 AM »
All in good time, my little chums.  All in good time...... ;)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 08:14 AM »
spill the beans bob.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 09:39 AM »
What do you know Rob?

WizardWeb

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Maybe Rob has seen the pics that Mr DJ has.....  ???

ronnie360

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2006, 08:29 PM »
i want one of these would like to see the pictures or drawings for this frame

:daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2006, 01:30 AM »
I'll say this;  Lets all try and be nice eh?  There's a lot of effort going into these things and a little bit of support from our end would be greatly appreciated....

Rest assured it'll be a nice thing. Lets also be assured it wont please everyone, but then what does? We'll all ultimately have our own opinions and thats fine - but we're not the ones making them, are we?   ;)

I think most people on here will like it  :)

P0LL0

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Dont put me down for one....cheers  :daumenhoch:

DJ

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Thanks Rob ole' boy........

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 03:20 PM »
if it get a few more old farts down the skateparks then its all good :)

anyone else sick of hearing - how much is your bike worth mate? what tricks can you do? from chav kids :knuppel2:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 06:58 PM »
anyone else sick of hearing - how much is your bike worth mate? what tricks can you do? from chav kids :knuppel2:

tell me about it Rich  >:(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Haro Gen 1 re-issue

gfxgfx
gfx gfx