gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 07:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  another s&M
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: another s&M  (Read 1652 times)

motomagII

another s&M
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:45 AM »

just got this with few other bits .not sure on year im sure alex will maybe confirm for me
frame number is s039733 or maybe s039133 hard to make out at moment till paint is stripped .who ever rode this was lerfty as rear left chainstay has lots grind dints (which will def stay as i like the old used charactor of it if you know what i mean .forks are gt pacman date stamped 1990 .
man this weighs some too reckon 10lbs easy frame and forks

not sure what to do with it yet i kind of fancy raw finish so all the old battle scars  can be seen but not sure if i am up to the job of stripping and polishing it yet
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:46 AM by motomagII »

SaMAlex

Re: another s&M
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Thats a "Next Gen" frame, either a dirtbike or Holmes (Id guess at dirtbike). I dont know much about that format of frame number, i only "collect" the early 1" frames.

The Next Gen Dirtbike came out in 1997, the Holmes soon after and they did them both for a few years. They were beasts of frames. I didnt ride mine for long, it was just too heavy.

m1ke

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:57 AM »
been loved that one  ;D you get the redneck stem also ??

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:57 AM »
cheers alex im sure its a holmes frame .id be amazed if this was under 35lbs buildt up it is heavy frame for sure

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Greg, it looks the same as the one you have on ebay to me  :-\
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Greg, it looks the same as the one you have on ebay to me  :-\

si it loks similar but there is a few differences the white one is im sure earlier thasn the black ng one .will get pics of them together soon .

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:11 AM »
A 'fat chick' Holmes

There's one of these at the local bike shop, we weighed it out of interest, 12lbs with forks and redneck frame alone was 9lbs...  :shocked:

Be careful lifting it...   :D

motomagII

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16 AM »
yeah thats the one betty bang on and yeah its fing heavy

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 02:37 PM »
why did they start making these frames so heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
surely it must have made em horrible to ride even for the top riders.
dave the bmxing gypo

JT71

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 02:42 PM »
it was a time when the riding got much more tough on the bikes so everything was made has strong as possible, without a thought for the weight.

come on when a compant bring out a frame called Heavy as Fokk then you know it's a sign of the times!

SaMAlex

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 07:27 PM »
why did they start making these frames so heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
surely it must have made em horrible to ride even for the top riders.

Riding was getting harder (on the bikes) and riders now had total control of BMX design (at last), totally free'ed from the restrictions of the 80s crap that had been falling apart for 10 years. Companies like Standard wanted to make stuff that didnt break they were happy to compromise weight. Many companies made over engineered, heavy frames cos at that time no one wanted to buy a frame that wouldnt last.

Recently its swung WAY back the other way with people being focsed on weight saving so much that frames were snapping again. Maybe cos todays riders dont remember when bikes were always snapping. Now it seems to be leveling off .... at last!

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:32 PM »
alex your right and i think a frame round 5 to 6 lbs is gonna do the strength thing for sure .4lbs your asking for problems .9 lbs and your asking for hernia lol

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:44 PM »
alex your right and i think a frame round 5 to 6 lbs is gonna do the strength thing for sure .4lbs your asking for problems .9 lbs and your asking for hernia lol

I think that now, you can pick the frame (weight and strenth) to suit your riding, as well as stuff like head angles, if you wanna use pegs, if you want a scooter-low toptube. In the 90s frames were the same. Heavy for "freestyle", light for race. Now there is race, trails, light park, heavy park, and abusive street. You can pick your frame to suit your riding. Simple rule, if you brake it, get a stronger (heavier) one. We dont all ride the same.

motomagII

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 07:51 PM »
alex i ride my brackens racing all the time which is old school 1988 lightish frame it weighs 25lbs all built anbd rides spot on .frame iwill be aorund 4lbs + bit .i also have newer school 2000 ish bulldog i ride for practice etc weigjht sbuil;t agaion 25lbs frame is 4.6lbs ,now i rode the bulldog 4 /5 years ago as poark bike and it was well strong enough for me as im not that good lol.i also have used several heavier frames like s&M dirt bike ,heavy as ,holmes etc and yes on the track you can feel the difference for sure but at the same time you can throw em about and case jumps as i do all the time knowing they wont break ,my yellow holmes is 32lbs and feels great but i havent made it to track this week as ill but im gonna race it and i reckon it wont make much difference.
light is good for effort riding and makes tricks easier and track racing easier but its not the be all and end all for sure .
street riding and abusing the bike like they do can kill and frame in the end .when weston was around the 2 lads rode with us all the time had mongoose and a we the people they were when bikes were around 30lbs or so i rode haro s351 at 33lbs.they destroyed thje bikes within 6 months im sure nothing could withstand the stuff they put their bikes thru and guys who used to ride stockport(bones ) who remember them in sure will agree

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  another s&M

gfxgfx
gfx gfx