gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX Shop in Aldershot, late 70's Early 80's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Shop in Aldershot, late 70's Early 80's  (Read 2678 times)

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
BMX Shop in Aldershot, late 70's Early 80's
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:02 PM »
This has been mentioned before but I wonder if anyone knows any more about it.
There was a shop situated on the other side of the railway bridge just up the road from Aldershot football ground entrance.
It was the first place I saw a BMX bike but I'm really not sure if it was late 70's or early 80's. It must have been one of the first I guess and might was possibly ahead of the times as it wasn't there too long.
A few people on here remember it I think but when was it ?

It's one of those sunny day jaw dropping memories that are starting to yellow with age now !

Ill just settle back with me pipe and slippers and hope someone can help me out
cheers.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: BMX Shop in Aldershot, late 70's Early 80's
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:10 PM »
I went to the opening of that shop, was a great day, cant remember the name of the shop though. I do remember getting the train up there, the place was buzzing....Must have been late 1980, early 1981 :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Hi
It's funny but it seems longer ago than that. I wasn't aware of BMX bikes then, not even sure if I had my Grifter at that point.
The thing that stands out most was the bright colours even the tyres, made the said Grifter look very dull.

It must have been advertised in an early magazine, pre Action Bike unless you found out about it another way.

I wonder if the local newspaper have any info.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:51 PM »
The only way we got any info in the early days was through BMX weekly, the newspaper that was published before the colour mag. I didnt have a  BMX until xmas 80 but it is possible I went there before I got my goose. So possibly mid 1980, but deffo no earlier!! :daumenhoch:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:27 AM »
Thanks for the info. I don't think I have ever seen BMX Weekly, a friend used to get OBMX when he got his first bike. It was him that did the first stunt of the month picture !
I think the next person to get a bike has a Mongoose. Not sure what but it was nickle plated and has tuff 2's with steel hubs so that was pretty early.
I will have to try and find out a bit more.

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:46 AM »
did any of you two make it over to SURREY SKATEBOARDS in Woking ? i worked there in 87' and saw a room of bmx goods just as skateboarding was getting bigger - lunch time was spent eat me sandwiches reading all the old bmx mags (should have grabbed them when i left - but i was into sk8ing then)

cheers  B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 08:30 AM »
No, never made it to Surrey, wish I had a car back then....had to go everywhere by train :-\

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:53 AM »
it was train for me some times and a skate in guildford on the way home

I never went there when there were at the top of the bmx sale game - shame as i found this photo with shed loads of stuff around in the shop - oh ! for a time machine  :smitten:

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 02:16 PM »
it was train for me some times and a skate in guildford on the way home

I never went there when there were at the top of the bmx sale game - shame as i found this photo with shed loads of stuff around in the shop - oh ! for a time machine  :smitten:

Cool pic, I used to go there when I was skating in the 70's and early 80's as well as the 80's for BMX.  The owner was called John IIRC, he passed away from what I can gather and his sons moved down to Cornwall or Deven (I forget which), when they moved they still had a fair bit of old skate and BMX gear and have slowly sold a lot of it on eGay.  My mate Darren (former owner of the Vinyl Frontier record shop in Woking) knew them quite well and often talked over the old days with them during the 90's.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I used to go to Surreys about once a month !  My friend used to go to a dentist there so we used to get a lift over there from his mum and then go to the shop afterwards.
Thats a great photo probably taken from the bit in the middle of the shop where they took the money.
Should be able to tell when it was from the Action bike mags on the counter.

I stopped trying to ride in 86-87 so wouldn't have gone there while you were working in the shop.

I did go back to Woking expecting to go into the shop only to find it had gone though.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:23 PM »
yer in would say it's near the back of the shop - the back wall was move and a couple of office space bits add and also the stairs was opened up around the corner at the back, using upstairs two floors

The front of the shop was used to sell roller boots on one side with display table/cabernet with glass on top to see items for sale on the left side and Joy (john's wife) was in the small office where you had to pay on the right side (don't know if they didn't trust us with the money)
Then in the middle was the perspex board cubby hole where you could buy stickers and small stuff by saying the number (till also moved to there after a while)
At the back on the left side was another cabernet with glass and behind was clothes - right side was a seat with display on the wall (later a changing room was made behind the wall ) and also a clothes rail with loads on
At the back was close off to public and used to pack up items/stock to sell to other shops (mon barber at ss20 and such)
Up stairs was a couple of work shops and then stock rooms (a lot of stock - bloody loads )
There was also a ware house up the road ( where we use to muck around on a GT Performer in yellow - if i had of only taken it home with me in the end )

John - boss
joy - bosses wife
Gavin - bosses son
Pete - bosses son in law
sean
al DEMON - who use to answer the phone with "ello surrrrreeys"
simon ~smiler
and then loads of other staff over the years

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 10:07 PM »
I have a vague recollection of looking at the Ripper (I think) on the back wall. I ended up getting my one from the shop in Camberley opposite Mcdonalds. i got my Redline from Surrey skates. It was slightly reduced as the paint wasn't perfect. I don't think I bought much else from there apart from Vans.
They really had things sorted though. Having a catalogue meant you could sit for hours doing dreaming up the ultimate bike spec only to add it up and realise it cost more than your dads car !

Offline captain675

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 10:48 PM »
That shop in Aldershot was called "California bmx" and it would have been around 80/81..got my first bmx from there a supergoose😁

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline captain675

• Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 10:48 PM »
That shop in Aldershot was called "California bmx" and it would have been around 80/81..got my first bmx from there a supergoose😁

Offline captain675

• Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 10:49 PM »

Offline captain675

• Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 10:53 PM »

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56 PM »
blimey you told us 4 times now  :LolLolLolLol:

Remember Surrey skates as bought my first board in there a Neil danns by rip . Did also get my kevin stabbs in there as well
one of the dudes who worked in there started another shop in Surbiton which was skate only as bought a few bits and they were only there for a few years
All i remember of surrey skates was rollerboots on the left and skateboard stuff as never saw any bmx stuff as i was doing both in 87
The only shops i went to for bmx was Waldens and Cycle city in raynes park .
Bmx shop and skate board shops were like a sweet shop back then as you wanted it all but never got anything  :LolLolLolLol:
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline captain675

• Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:11 PM »
So true...sorry about the repeat posts but I do like to get my point across😂😂😂

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 02:04 PM »
So true...sorry about the repeat posts but I do like to get my point across😂😂😂

Tapatalk give you an error each time you tried to post? Happened to me earlier, it says it didn't post but it does  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline retrogeezer

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Even though I lived less than 10 miles away in Blackwater I don't remember ever going to a BMX shop in Aldershot. My first BMX (Murray 340) came from Berkshire Cycles in Crowthorne and we spent a lot of time as kids in Surrey Cycles in Camberley and at City BMX in Northcamp.

Good times.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX Shop in Aldershot, late 70's Early 80's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx