gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975769 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 06, 2024, 12:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stripping threads
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stripping threads  (Read 631 times)

theRuler

stripping threads
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:30 AM »
met up round a mates house last night for beers

a friend of mine brought his brand new haro FST around (1984) just needed the brakes dialling in and the chain fitting, and the cranks doing up.

ok first problem:

he has a set of dia compe fs880 brakes. the nut for the cable clamp bit is ALLOY  :-X
did up the front brake and it stripped before the cable was even tight.  what a shit idea

now the next:

doing up the pinch bolts on his NEW redline flight cranks (double pinch). one of the bolts SNAPPED!! piss poor. on my redline prolines i did up the pinch bolts so tight i had veins popping out my head

and the last:

he bought a NOS powerlite stem. nice stem!  but with very little effort he stripped the thread out of the first bolt that was being done up tight. this was done with a quarter drive small wrench with allen bit. piss poor again.

i have never seen such a weak stem. i tend to destroy the allen bit doing them up too tight.
and as for the pinch bolt, that was just pathetic.

Donker

Re: stripping threads
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:29 AM »
heavy handed cowboy  :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

Re: stripping threads
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:41 AM »
the pinch bolt was like pastry. puny 4mm headed screws too. unlike the fat 6mm headed ones in the redline proline

and alloy nuts on the brakes is just a joke.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stripping threads

gfxgfx
gfx gfx