gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 05:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  skid lid
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skid lid  (Read 2134 times)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
skid lid
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:16 AM »
looking to buy a crash hat , last one i had was a moto 4 , heavy as fook , so a bit unsure as to the bmx/mtb specific ones out there , any advice or pointers would be great, cheers in advance  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: skid lid
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:55 AM »
 :) Had a few 661s with no probs.Also the THE f/faces are pretty good.Try ChainReactionCycles for good prices and free postage.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=226

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:46 PM »
cheers for that Voivod had a look at the link more confused now ,   :-\  :LolLolLolLol:, down to cost i suppose ,more = better

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Moto 7.  Light as a feather these days and work like a proper crash helmet should   ;)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:20 PM »
cheers was looking at the new bell ones , the  moto 4, i had given when i was freestyle bod, saved my noggin a few times  that did :daumenhoch: another one of those "i should have kept that", got  to go for something a bit cheaper though at mo   :'(

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:29 AM »
cheers was looking at the new bell ones , the  moto 4, i had given when i was freestyle bod, saved my noggin a few times  that did :daumenhoch: another one of those "i should have kept that", got  to go for something a bit cheaper though at mo   :'(

Don't undervalue the head  ;)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Moto 7.  Light as a feather these days and work like a proper crash helmet should   ;)

Good Lid  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Me, my lad and my dad have all got 661 helmets. Light and fit very well indeed. :smitten:
Pretty much all the proper fullface BMX/downhill type helmets seem well designed  :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I've posted a few times on various threads about lids. Some on here will know of my hatred for the pisspot lid.

Buy the right lid for your riding. I ride vert, so blunt force trauma is my concern, hence the Moto 7. Or any top class MX lid.

Be sure of the following;

It's the dearest/best quality you can afford

It fits perfectly  (I can advise if you're unsure about the details of fitting)

It looks fcuking cool.  This is more important than you think - you must want to wear it.

I'll stop there before I start ranting/preaching  ;D

baldbmxer

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Stick with an MX helmet. Loads more padding than the Troy Lee, THE and other thin and flimsy bike orientated lids.

You only got one head!

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:23 PM »
There's actually a saying , I remeber Andy Ruffell saying on the telly

"If you've got a ten pound head ,get a ten pound helmet "

That's why I had one of these first of all BITD ( the red one in the pic)  :LolLolLolLol:

Seriously the 661's are alot better than the Bell if you are spending around £50 -£75

It all depends on what riding you're doing (extremity) ,,,this price bracket is ok , for casual riding and rolling round a track

, but if you're  riding big jumps , you 've gotta be spending alot more  :-\

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26 PM »
If you're not bothered about weight and budget is an issue , just get a Motocross helmet  ;)

Better protection than a Downhill specific helmet , like a Bell listic ,etc  :crazy2:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23 PM »
I wear a motocross lid for racing, i'm sure it'll do a job if i fall on my head but i'm going deaf and struggle to hear the beeps, i'll go when everyone else does doesn't quite cut it

Certain tracks have been worse than others... turn up the volume!

Are bmx mtb any better for hearing? daft question i know...  :idiot2:

Pisspot for the skatepark is an essential imo, saved me a couple of times

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 12:42 AM »
thanks for all the replies chaps , was wanting a lid for the OS Racing , trying to get things sorted  for this year's season,   so i need something that will survive a last place wobble and out  :LolLolLolLol:,  was never bothered about a helmet before except for when i was ramp riding, years ago  ,  but i did fall last summer, when out trying keep fit   you just don't bounce like you used to , so have been intending to get one sorted ,even for a bit a practice, as i said got to count the pennies , sub £100 ,  lots to choose from though  :-\

TwoBobRob  rant away i agree completely, i see the young uns down the skate park and track with no helmets on makes you cringe.

Huntdubber   :LolLolLolLol: , so going on that principle used by Mr Ruffel  ,, i've got a balloon some papermache ..........     

xGoose

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 12:56 AM »
Last seasons helmets are usually pretty good prices specially on chainreaction so it doesn't mean you have to spend a load of money to get something decent.

I use 661 MX all the way..

<----- one of them!  ;)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33 AM »

MX all the way , 661,Bell,Shoei,Troy Lee,HJC etc etc etc  ;)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 01:31 AM »

TwoBobRob  rant away i agree completely, i see the young uns down the skate park and track with no helmets on makes you cringe.

The problem is (in my opnion obviously), that kids feel safe in a pisspot and I simply can't agree with that. Watch any slam sction and count the faceplants....  Studies also show that a helmet in any form adds to the overall feeling of invincibility in young men and let's face it, we all know thats true, even if we're not that young anymore.

I've seen LOTS of people knocked out in pisspots. There is a school of thought that a great deal of shock is transmitted through these style of lids, not absorbed, particularly in the temple area.  We must remember these lids were never designed for this purpose, it's all compromise.

They are at best, ok protection from light bumps and grazes to the top and back of the noggin, but that's yer lot. 

Not that anything I say is going to matter one bit of course - fashion dictates everything these days.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 03:28 PM »
thanks a lot fella's for all the pointers, top stuff  :daumenhoch:  ,   as i said got to try to get things organised on a non existent  budget  :'(,    so to that end the postie turned up today with this , i have to say  ooooooooahhhhhhhh  :smitten:   ,,, fits real well weighs fook all  ,,  and cheap ,  so all criteria met  :daumenhoch:,  see how i goes when i enevitably hit the dirt cos i know it'll happen   :LolLolLolLol:   

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  skid lid

gfxgfx
gfx gfx