gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 09:42 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My holy grail and a Looong story
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My holy grail and a Looong story  (Read 2251 times)

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
My holy grail and a Looong story
« on: August 22, 2005, 05:37 PM »
Many (many) years ago when I was just a little dinosaur, I brought this issue of Bicycle Motocross news home.  I was amazed at the picture on the cover.  (Picture was taken by Windy Osborn at Saddleback in 75)

My dad bet me that it was impossible to do that and that Dave had crashed.  I promptly wrote the editor (a certain Bon Osborn)    and asked if he had crashed.  i was informed by Oz or someone in the staff that David usually did this and he did not crash.  That was the first (and probably the last) bet I won from my father.

I saw David at the track a few times and in my mind he was the best and classiest racer out there.  Even though we were close in age, I looked up to him and even drew a full size picture of him on my wall.

30 years roll by and I get to see Dave Clinton again at the Joe Kid premiere. He was still humble and did not really acknowledge  his impact on not just people like me, but BMX overall. He even looked embarassed when I asked him to autograph his picture:

A little while back, Dave informed me that his "tabletop" bike might be for sale.  I freaked!!  That to me, is the holy grail of bikes.  Knowing full well what that bike is worth, I contacted some very  knowledgable people like Dan Goins, Tim Cook and Ben Joy about the bike and see if they were (or knew someone) who would be intersted in acquiring that piece of history as I could not low ball Dave and knew that the bike would get top dollar on e-bay.

I also mentioned it to Bob Osborn.  When I came back from Rockford, Oz did an amazing thing (yet again) and told me to make an offer to Dave, and that he would pay half. I (weakly) objected and told him I couldn't do that as he would get nothing tangible out of it.  He basically answered "Shut up and get the bike."

Soooo...30 years after I first saw "THE" picture, I found myself being involved again with David Clinton and Bob Osborn.

Long story I know, but I would like to show off Bob Osborn's and my latest acquisition.

Dave's original plate:

The bike has the non-factory custom made alloy struts made by Bryan Curnell's Grandfather. Only 4 sets were made.

The bike had regular spoked wheels.  Ben Joy suggested I put some original motomags on it and when I asked my little boy Patrick, he approved of the mags.  As i had a set of "Simi" motomags on hand, I went with it.  According to Dave, he would use Moto Mags when ever he raced Yarnell , Randall Ranch, or Saddleback.

So, here it is.

Thanks Dave, thanks Oz.

Sanmarcopizza

Re: My holy grail and a Looong story
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Nice story, nice bike.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Nice one fella - you must be stoked!

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 07:09 PM »
That my friend is one wicked story , top bloke who trumpted up for half and a real piece of history , kept alive , documented and only one word springs to mind.

Priceless

Rich :)

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Unbelivable story ... !!! see dreams can come true   ;)

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 08:51 PM »
I am impressed

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Wow, wow, wow!

Great story, good on ya.... and very well deserved!

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 01:25 PM »
Great story Rei'.

You can't really say a bad thing about Bob Oz from what i can make out, he sounds like a right nice geezer.

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 07:58 PM »
Oz was and is a great guy.  I used try extra hard when he was at the races in an effort to make it into BMX news/BMX Action.

I showed off the bike at the first annual OS-BMX/Garage Graphics get-together

and..Thanks for the comments.

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 09:35 PM »
A pic of the display:

and some totally self-serving pictures of people involved

Me and DC at Joe kid:  Pic courtesy Muxter from OS..BMX

Oz, Johnny Johnson and me at Rockford:

THANKS GUYS!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:07 PM by reilley1 »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My holy grail and a Looong story

gfxgfx
gfx gfx