gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 07:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  hi guys... need inspiration....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: hi guys... need inspiration....  (Read 952 times)

slugger

hi guys... need inspiration....
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:27 PM »
ok, so plan is to buy an old school frame and modify it to accept moder parts [basically use my goose villain as a donor bike]
now im sure i'll overcome any tech problems/welding etc but i need to have some feedback on what frame to get.....
what i used to really love [bitd] was the trick frames with 'extra' bits on at the back.......now my memory is pants [25 yrs ago when i last was into bmx] but from memory gt performer was a nice looking frame? and curtis freestyler?
but, due to my absolute lack of real bmx knowledge/history i cant remember all the names/makes with funky-frames  :-\ and whats more i havn't got a clue as to which ones are "nice wheels dood" and which ones are "happy-snappy piles of ooh" that i should avoid like the plague..... ;D
thats where you guys might be able to help  ;)
so whats what in old school trick frames guys? and anyone got any piccys [1980-1985 sort of era if poss, but will go either side of this if theres a "must have frame"]
thanx all
slug :daumenhoch:

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: hi guys... need inspiration....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 04:56 AM »
Good and very cheap old school would be Aero reflex. GT performers are also plentiful. Curtis's and Rickmans a bit harder to pick up though. But now there's plenty Sykway Streatbeats flooding the market, so I'd go for one of those. No extra bits at the back though....
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:02 AM »
go for a streetbeat or an aero reflex (if you are on a budget)

1" threadless forks are available, so you can run a decent stem (and NOT be tempted to have the stem mounted anywhere but it's lowest point)

if you are handy with a welder get some ad lugs welded on there. sidepull brakes are shite

for pics have a look at the museum section on this forum

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 03:59 PM »
wot he sed.
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 04:01 PM »
also for a old school ride built with new school bits, use a straight seatpost. and get a padded seat.

slugger

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:33 PM »
thanx guys...... :daumenhoch:
plan is , find a frame i like.....moddify it to accept modern kit......then build it using my goose-villain as a donor bike [so basically it will be all goose bar the frame]......then, when time and funds allowe, slowly upgrade to top notch parts  :daumenhoch:
this seems to me to be the best way to end up with something unique/personal but not have to be without a ride for a long time  ;)

are there any frames to avoid? dont forget i know very,very little about whats good and whats not... dont want to go full steam ahead and build a great bike only to find the frame i chose gets looks of disgust wherever i ride   ;D :D

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 06:57 PM »
avoid the one you posted in the other thread ;)

slugger

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 07:14 PM »
 ;D thanx bud'.....you guys are like old school encyclopedias of all things bmx...kewl-as  8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  hi guys... need inspiration....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx