gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 04:15 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  comeback cut short by injury
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: comeback cut short by injury  (Read 2920 times)

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
comeback cut short by injury
« on: May 03, 2006, 01:48 AM »
 Well, I bought all the safety gear, and a new  school bike. I went to a skatepark a few times and did a few 180's on the transition.. On sunday i popped out, sidehopped to the edge   while the kids laughed) and rolled back in again. The front wheel slide out and i went sprawling to the bottom in a twisted mangle of beerbelly and bike.

felt Ok at the time, but went out for dinner later, and my ankle completely isezed up. I couldn't put any weight on it at all.. I had to call a mate to piggy back me out of the restaurant into the car, then shuffled up my driveway on all fours into the house.
Had to do a sickie yesterday and the wife had to take a half day off to take me to the doctors. Wheelchaired in to X ray, and luckily only damaged some ligaments in my foot. On pills  for the next 2 weeks and crutches
Wife is smirking with a "told you that you were too old for all this" look.

I think she might be right. I can't afford to take days off every time i ride a bike.

Strangely when I was 17, I fell every week, and never went to casualty even once...

"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: comeback cut short by injury
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Get well soon Dude, I am with you on the injury thing, I crashed a couple of months ago and my arm still isnt 100%, when did we lose the ability to fall down unharmed (without a belly full of stella)???
 :) DINGO :)

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 10:03 AM »
skatepark riding and a day off work?

its win-win  :D

i have blown an ankle more times than i care to remember.
usually takes me a good 4 weeks before it stops hurting to ride on.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 10:17 AM »
strap it up and tape it to your pedal.

youve got to work through the pain.
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:20 AM »
yeh best thing to do is strap it up straight away
it reduces the healing time.

lol one time i fell out of my attic and landed sideways on both ankles and wrecked them both.
i walked like i had glue feet for weeks. stomping.

Frosty

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 11:36 AM »
ooh nasty that.

I came off my enduro bike last year and basically my foot remained planted on the ground as me and my bike went over sideways - pulled all the ligaments couldn't walk properly for months. The physio syas a break would have healed quicker!

Good luck

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 11:41 AM »
life without pain has no meaning

RADHAB

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Get on with it!!!! Ask Quimrider the best way to crash whilst riding in, he's a bloody master at that :LolLolLolLol: So many of us have been bitten by the "return to riding crash phase". Its amazing how the brain still knows what to do and the body doesnt do as its told???? :LolLolLolLol: Just stick at it, it does get easier.

fuzzynod

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Come on mate you gotta get back on it I fell of a lot when I started (broken ribs,torn muscles etc) but it does get better.
There does seem to be a lot of ankle injuries about,due i suspect to increased weight and lack of mobility in the joints.
I have found the more supple you keep yourself the less likely you are to injure yourself when the inevitable occurs.
Try a small programme of gentle streching excercises every other day.
It hurts at first but pays dividends.
 :daumenhoch:

spinmaster

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Get on with it!!!! Ask Quimrider the best way to crash whilst riding in, he's a bloody master at that :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol:

wanger

what you want to do is come down the ramp on one knee with your other leg being squeezed between your handlebar end and the top tube then lay on the ground for a bit. make sure your knob isn't being pressed into your handlebar end though, that would hurt.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 03:47 PM »
get some glucosamine too.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 05:22 PM »
thats a mear flesh wound...what you want to do is spend a week of your life in hospital, having 8 titanium plates put in your head, and having to have half your face peeled off so the surgeon can attach em with self tappers to your skull. thats the way to do it

me looking sorry for myself, with my plates fitted and jaws wired....

Dave
haro, how do you do

RADHAB

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 05:26 PM »

Try a small programme of gentle streching excercises every other day.

Whilst listening to Whale music and breathing petuli fumes........

andy irwin

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 05:29 PM »
yeah thats bad Dave . i was injured at bones last time and never even knew until I got home and my knee had gone into shock.
Just getting better now for the weekend. Lets see what damage we can do. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 05:40 PM »
It happens dude - welcome to Old School injuries...I have just recovered from breaking two bones in my foot...you feel like giving up at the time. But, you gotta keep going, just ride within your limits.

Rombloke Dave - mate, that's the first time I've seen that pic! You da man for keeping riding.  :daumenhoch: A lesson to us all...wear a full face helmet.

Stay rad.

:daumenhoch:

andy619

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Sorry to hear about your injury tricknuts, hope your ankle feels better soon.  Reading this thread is not helping me to decide if I want a new school bike or old school bike.  Self tappers, plates in the head, torn ligaments all seem to confirm the wifes comment of " you should be happy your still alive to look at old pictures of you riding", to which my response was " if Billy Stupple can do back flips I should at least be able to do rock walks still".  That's great you guys are still riding thru the pain, I certainly admire and respect you for it.  Scott Freeman just sent me an invite to norcal for an old school get together, I'm going to try and go(but I don't know if I'll be riding), maybe I'll see you ther Tricknuts.  Keep on riding Tricknuts, I need the extra motivation.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 07:19 PM »
im feelin your pain lots of sitting about .youll mend soon summers on the way :daumenhoch:

RADHAB

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 08:05 PM »

A lesson to us all...wear a full face helmet.

Show everyone a picture of you in yours Dave :daumenhoch:

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 08:48 PM »
My Gawd Dave. Self tappers??. All I had was self pity.

If I injured myself like that, I very much doubt I'd have the courage to get back on a bike. Respect.

Pain to me is a warning signal that something is wrong, not just something to ignore.  I must be a bit of softy.
I'll need to buy a raleigh ShandyBurner :)

Wayne roooney hurts his foot, and its all over the papers. I hurt mine.... not even a mention :LolLolLolLol:

Andy. Yeah, I hope to be heading up to Scotty's bash. Let me know if you plan to head up this way.
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 09:39 AM »

A lesson to us all...wear a full face helmet.

Show everyone a picture of you in yours Dave :daumenhoch:

:-[

andy irwin

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 05:42 PM »
I dont mind a few pads but the Ned Kelly body armour that Billy wears is a bit much  for me. :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

sadowdgit

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 05:53 PM »
you leave Billy alone Randrew!!!! .... he Really needs that armour he does  ;)

andy irwin

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 06:05 PM »
we all need it but I cant be a rsed with it. :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  comeback cut short by injury

gfxgfx
gfx gfx