gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hatta headset
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hatta headset  (Read 1068 times)

retrorb

Hatta headset
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:28 PM »
First build so be kind.....

Trying to fit a new MX-100 headset to my redline frame/forks. It seems that everything is too tight (I never thought I'd ever say that) anyway...is there a tool to get the bits into the frame and in particular onto the forks. The little disc that goes over the ring on the forks seems impossible to push or hammer on - seems like I need some sort of tube thing to slide over the forks and then hammer on.

Help me please!

Cheers

wolfybmx

Re: Hatta headset
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:38 PM »
some head sets are quite difficult to insert into frames. i have had two haro group 1's that needed some work.
if you use a vice or head set press it will be much easier than a hammer as the vice or press distrbutes pressure evenly.
try only putting one cup in at a time and use grease on the cup and inside frame to make it fit easier.
remember to ensure that if a vice is being used place some hard wood between the vice surface and cup as this will not damage or mark the cup.
regarding the fork bearing colar again a metal tube that fits over the fork is enough to put the bearing colar on to the fork. there is a special tool again just for this job.
any more advice just pm me
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 08:40 PM by wolfybmx »

Frosty

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Tight as a gnats chuff.

I have just bought a headset press, the park tools etc high end stuff is very expensive, but this one is similar quality at a fraction of the cost

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/info%5fTL06609%2ehtml

£45 a good price

Paul

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:15 AM »
When I was building my TA I had the same problem - spent about 2 hours swearing, shouting and hitting it with various implements without success. In the end I took it along to the local bike shop who stuck the forks in a big vice/press thingy and 0.5 seconds later it was on. Was FOC also  :daumenhoch:

BTW it was also a MX-100 headset!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 10:17 AM by phantom photon »

retrorb

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Thanks for your help guys. Took it to my local bike shop and they fitted it for a fiver. I just hope I don't ever have to take the bloody thing off!

Jazzchimp

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I made one, worked really well. Just tighten and tap, tighten and tap.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 07:55 PM »
Nice one m8...kool idea :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hatta headset

gfxgfx
gfx gfx