gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 06:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Much needed polishing tips.....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Much needed polishing tips.....  (Read 959 times)

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Much needed polishing tips.....
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:34 PM »
recently got my hands on a very very old polishing wheel set up, the type an old boy bolted together in his shed....So I've stardet to give a few things the once over for the first time ever and some much needed advice is required...
Just started work on this DB carnk and there are some hammer marks on the top of the arm..can these be "polished or smoothed out" ?...also there are 1 or 2 chips,..
whats the best way to sort these out?...
total newb on the polishing front..

WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: Much needed polishing tips.....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I would leave the dents in.  They will polish out but you will have to lose a fair bit of metal though  :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Think I will have to..as for the dings, whats best to smooth those out..some 400 paper or something a little more coarse ?.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Ash, when you & Kam are up in Sheffield next we can step into my shed and polish away while the girls are goo-ga-goo-goo with my kids ;-)

Patience is the secret which is why I'm not very good yet!
Still limping......

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Ash, when you & Kam are up in Sheffield next we can step into my shed and polish away while the girls are goo-ga-goo-goo with my kids ;-)

sounds like a plan buddy  :daumenhoch:
check out my polishing dinosour when you get chance ..looks like its the oldest one known to mankind, works a treat though. and cost me fook all  :daumenhoch:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:46 PM »
first thing to do is get them grinding wheels/stones off before you catch and ruin something a bit longer.  polish is the key, you need the fine green and blue soap for finishing and coarse brown/red for getting marks out. you need a sisal mop for cutting and a calico mop for finishing. a sheep fat bar for getting that black soap build up out of nooks and crannies is also helpful. you could get a down mop, but it's not really necessary. Best bet is not to use the mop too much for getting marks out, be prepared to rub down with various grades of wet/dry with a block for flat surfaces, then use the mop to shine. remember, use polish to get polish off.
ding dong

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Thanks pal, top tips indeed....The grinding stones have gone and new "mops" and polish will be collected today, so watch this space for a crazed polishing frenzy  :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:57 AM »

check out my polishing dinosour when you get chance ..looks like its the oldest one known to mankind, works a treat though. and cost me fook all  :daumenhoch:

Scary looking setup you have there. :shocked:  I wonder what 'elf n safety' would make of that?   :police:

JT has covered everything needed to get you started so crack on but be careful...

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:24 AM »

Scary looking setup you have there. :shocked:  I wonder what 'elf n safety' would make of that?   :police:

JT has covered everything needed to get you started so crack on but be careful...

I know what you mean, how the old boy I got it off never lost an arm is beyond me, those grinding wheels are a little scary hence the rapid removal.I'll post a pic if I actually manage to make a decent job of polishing something..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Much needed polishing tips.....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx