gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:48 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  M O N G O O S E FS1 - build project
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: M O N G O O S E FS1 - build project  (Read 4798 times)

goony73

M O N G O O S E FS1 - build project
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Kinda new to the forum but thought I would post up some pics of what I have been up to....

Background is I have been restoring up an old E30 BMW to take to the shows this summer which is getting there! and I wanted to add something to the roof when I have the rack built. Its chrome the rack! bling!

Anyway back in the summer I built this up and sold it on fleabay which gave me the old skool BMX bug a bit....

And here is the car as it is at the moment so you can see why I did this....

lovely alpina bib...

Anyway I wanted to build up an old skool bike but didn't want to spend a fortune as the car is sapping cash and this had to be done on a budget  - so I trailed through the bay and found an old FS1 frame, bars and forks from a member on here "old skool dayz" - so after a couple of bids this turned up on the doorstep.... cheers buddy, was bob on thanks.

I really liked the frame but as the forks were not orig etc I was quite happy to use it as my canvas for this project rather than restore to NOS. BUt looking closely at the bars I think they are orig CW.s as the knarling is diamond shaped so that is a bit of a result. In fact the forks were a bonus to IMO as I don't really like the stumpyness of the looks of the orig FS1 forks and these are very similar to SE style and the holes in the dropouts of the frame match the forks drillings exactly with 3 diminishing holes - I kinda like the matching up of the detail! (yes - I was a designer for a job for too long!!)

So stripped everything back and started looking at the rest of what was left....

what we're gonna use...

Bleaching MAGS in progress ....

During this time I get my colour palette ready to match the car and as I had some parts going to the painters I got them to blast and paint up the whole lot in matching BMW 181 diamond black...javascript:void(0);

So the colours on the car are:

BMW 181 base colour
White (from number plates)
Black  (from general body trim)
Orange ( from the indicators /  number plates)
Red (from rear lights)
Chrome (from the BBS split rim wheels and grill)

Which aint' a bad starting point for the build.

Next up was to get back on the bay as per norm and source as much cheap stuff as possible but keeping the old feel. Managed to get some nice bits - odessey layback, TTK pedals and some wienmann brakes etc. MAGS came out ok too... Also managed to get a mid school GT performer from the local tip as a doner! crank and bits happily donated and back onto ebay after a cleanup!

£10 knuckle duster chain ring as I call it!

FAST FWD,,,

Frames back looking minty and starting to build up...

And here she is as of yesterday still bits to do but getting there... its such a bast**d goose!

hope you like it! more pics to follow when the other bits arrive from ebay...

goony73

Re: M O N G O O S E FS1 - build project
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Couple more....

The Redline

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Hi goony 73,

coud you please tell me what stuff you used to bleach the tuffs and how long?
They look great after the treatment.

regards!

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Looling nice and sharp  :daumenhoch: The wheels came up a treat :4_17_5:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Hi
That looks really cool.

Not got one, but rather partial to the Mongoose FS  :).

Like another member said tell us the process on the minty white tuffs.
Whats the fairy liquid looking bottles in the box for  :-\ , Is it just to stop them laying down.

Well done. :daumenhoch:

waza04

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:17 PM »
looking sweet that....... the snake post just gets me soooo excited.....  :shocked: i think griff will be liking that too. well done.  :smitten:

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I like that, quite alot!

BMX1973, the bottles will be full of water to act as displacement, so you dont need to buy so much bleach.
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:05 PM »
great projects you have on the go both bike and motor look awsome cant wait to see pics with
bike on bling roofrack :daumenhoch:

oldskooldayz

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50 AM »
 :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: i am so happy mate with the way this has turned out big time, i was never gonna get round to building to this type of level :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:  :daumenhoch:

BmxAssasin

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 01:14 AM »
great resto job  :4_17_5:

goony73

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Cheers Guys!

Joe I am well pleased - Thanks for selling that frame me! Re: the paint - the whole thing was bead blasted - all the chrome taken off and then etch primed and sprayed buy the same guys who did the car panels - needless to say its like glass - amazing finish and TBH better than any powder coat I have seen.

OK mags... this is what I did!

1) cleaned with stiff scrubbing brush and fairy liquid to remove most of the dirt after removing all the ironwork
2) sprayed over with viakal (this is a bathroom treatment for removing limescale) and left to soak for about 15 mins then rinsed - this also does whiten the colour
3) into the big plastic box (90 litre capacity) with 10 litres of thin bleech, a dash of oven cleaner, a sprinkle of washing powder and then topped up with water to cover everything. leave for one week!
4) remove and wash again with soap and scrubbing brush - this is when you really see a change.
5) any last marks / paint dab with nitromorse paintstsripper and repeat step 4)

The paint stripper  really does work on cleaning the mags but it is not an even finish - the soaking does give you a better clean white finsh all over but is sometimes not quite aggressive enough to remove all the crud. If you mix up the steps above you should be able to find a way that works.

The Redline

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Thanks Gooney,

this mix sounds a little bit strange & dangerous, but no pain no gain
your my "Chemical Brother" Dude!  ;-)

regards
Alfredo

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  M O N G O O S E FS1 - build project

gfxgfx
gfx gfx