gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 03:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Hoffman TAJ Survivor
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hoffman TAJ Survivor  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Hoffman TAJ Survivor
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Finally managed to pick this up after winning it pre-chrimbo - very pleased  :)  (Excuse the pics - taken on a mobile as my cameras gone chrimbo walkabouts.....)

Nearly everything on it's stock from the mid '97-early '99 full TAJ bike. Only things that seem to have been swapped out are the seat (it's got a Primo), a Profile chainwheel, a Hombre front brake (with Xposure mount), and a Duro X-Performer rear tyre (still got it's Skidmark front) and possibly the Gyro cableing.

Bikes in decent enough condition - only thing that's rough really are the Girthy rims - lots of chrome flake but the stickers are complete, so what do you reckon - remove stickers (carefully) and get them rechromed? Bikes going to stay as is, as it's in very good nick (clean and regrease etc).

Also any frame numbers experts in the room?

Here's a couple more pee-poor piccies :)

"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Bettyswallocks

Re: Hoffman TAJ Survivor
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 01:43 PM »
Nice find....  :daumenhoch:

Looks like it weighs some....  :shocked:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Yep - weighs a ton  :)

As I'm trying to rebuild/re-aquire all the bmx's I've had since 1980 - this one's a bit of a cheat as I originally had a 1" chrome TAJ, but the wallets not stretching to that  ;)  Think this one's the 1997/98 model, have emailed Hoffman to see.

*ninja edit* also forgot to mention, the frame no. ends in 0001 - fingers crossed (prepares to realise this means nothing ;) )
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:49 PM by dannywhac »

gobshite

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:42 PM »
looks more like a deebo than a taj....... ???

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Na - that's the pap photography - deffo a TAJ, owned both TAJ and Deebo and can spot the difference :)

gobshite

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16 PM »
i had a deebo and a taj too,its essentially the same frame tbh, they just changed the name when taj left to start T1 and beefed up the frame a little for the "1-1/8th,

the stem,superforks,wheels and everything else just scream deebo era to me,

could well be a very late taj frame though,

be worth checking the serial numbers to make sure,

cool bikes though,

dem tanks!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Too true ;) Serials already mailed to Hoffman - Deebo's had a longer HT gussets, TAJ's had the Hoffers shorter version (1997/98 differences also in Condors etc....)

gobshite

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 10:30 PM »
is the gusset "H B" stamped?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Yeah - it's a mid 1997 by all looks :)

gordy

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 01:25 PM »
it looks like a early 97, handlebars look like they have been swapped over to later models. nice bike BTW.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Cheers fella :) It's got the selad chain/seat stays so thinking mid. I don't think the decals are repop as they don't match any scans released.

Does anyone have any Rides from 97-98? Just wondering as I seem to remember there was a mid '97 with near similar 'old TAJ' decals released alongside the red/black/white TAJ sticker frames on a limited run (at least my old housemate does - all my Ride back issues went to the tip :( )

bmxbert

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:59 PM »
that frame seems really od. i dont remember any taj frames having the sealed of seat and chain stays!

thought that was just a deebo thing. didnt they release a deebo that came with taj decals  before it was called a deebo?

im sure they had really nasty rectangular orange and white decals though.????????? looks to me like it must have been during the swap over.

taj frames are my fave ever. i have a nos early tiwan chrome taj. its lush :daumenhoch:

bmxbert

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 08:05 PM »
here we go dude. adam "condor" sent me a load of info in this post. and theres a pic of my frame an forks :smitten:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=76365.0

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Man that thing looks amazing!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 08:12 PM »
here we go dude. adam "condor" sent me a load of info in this post. and theres a pic of my frame an forks :smitten:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=76365.0

I saw that bad-boy over at BMX Museum, made me drool  :daumenhoch: Cheers for the link :)

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Here you go - slightly better pic (although it'd look better chrome ;) )

I think it's from the interim period between TAJ's with old style stickers, and TAJ's with the red/black stickers. Downtube gusset is still TAJ - Deebo's had those really long gussets extending down near-on a third of the down tube.

J-P McCoy

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Nice find!

Definately a Taj...it looks like a '97 model, which was the first of the Taiwanese made frames...not sure about the stickers, they look like they've been added after. The paint jobs is right for the '97 model too...they released the frame & forks in matt black, blue and brown...none of which were too pretty! and it has the capped stays too...Taj all the way.

I've just restored mine which is the same year...looks the nuts, great bike. Personally I prefer the older stickers on the 1" version, so I did some reproductions myself...

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Lovely  :smitten:

Nice looking decals as well. You can get the Hoffman Generator rims that are out at the mo, and they're identical to the High Roller rims to go with your Gack hubs - I've got a scan of the High Roller rim decals n'all if you want 'em (not that there's owt wrong with Suns)

The decals on the TAJ are a bit of a mystery - like I mentioned in an earlier post me old house mate remembers a limited edt. TAJ from '97 that came with 'retro' stickers, and the top-tube stickers are completely diffeerent from other scans of the sets - dunoo tho as Hoffman still ain't got back to me (can't get their online form to work so having to email em).

Was gonna slap some Profiles on me TAJ as they do look nice on yours, but might save 'em for my S.O.B (cheers Sawzall  :daumenhoch: )

J-P McCoy

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Cheers buddy.

Yeah, I'm really loving it!...its not exactly era-correct, but its a bit of a commbo of my favorite parts and a couple of new ones thrown in. The Sunn Big City rims are so beefy and laced up with a nice G-Sport on the back and nice big Seventies sealed hub on the front, I reckon they're tougher than the beautiful Super Pros, I wish I'd had back in the day. PLus a halflink chain would have been the order of the dayback then if they were around!

Got Odyssey Gedda Grips on there and I found Some Profile SS cranks... beef all the way!!!

The S.O.B. sounds nice! anything mid school, that weighs more than a BMX should and can take a pounding, gets my vote!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Profile SS all the way  :daumenhoch: Here's my bad-boy I built up back in 1997/98 from new :)

Phat Jack wheelset (HP-48's), SS, DK Street Forks, Iron Cross Sealed Pedals, Slam Bars, DK Jumping stem etc:

J-P McCoy

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 01:37 PM »
nice!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Cheers fella  :daumenhoch: Is your Hoffers powder coated or painted? Either way it's a nice finish  :)

J-P McCoy

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Powdercoated... there's a new company set up near me and my mate knows him, he did a great job on it...no specks at all! A friend of mine has had his Standard 25o done and its amazing!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Hoffman TAJ Survivor

gfxgfx
gfx gfx