gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 02:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Christmas presents 1983
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Christmas presents 1983  (Read 2709 times)

speight9587

Christmas presents 1983
« on: December 25, 2010, 12:12 PM »
December 25th 1983 - what a day! I'd had a Team Murray for months and was waiting for my friends to get BMX's. Sure enough, on Christmas day 1983 they all got some rad deliveries from Santa! There was an Ultra Burner, Super Tuff Burner, a blue Burner with yellow mags, a DiamondBack Silver Streak and a Mongoose Californian.

We had great times learning tricks and building jumps over the following year. My Team Murray snapped in early summer 1984 and I replaced it with a white Firebird Freestyler. By Christmas 1984 a few lads had lost interest in BMX and got into computer gaming instead. The Ultra Burner lad got a GT pro frame & forks for Christmas and put all his Ultra burner parts on it (apart from the seat post, which was too thick)! The Mongoose Californian lad also stayed into BMX so, there were just 3 of us riding together in the 1st half of 1985.

By mid 1985 the GT pro & Mongosse Cali lads had lost interest in favour of computer gaming also! Luckily, I was adopted by a proper BMX crew who's bikes included two 1st gen Haro Freestylers, a Kuwahara Nova, a Torker 280, a Curtis Freestyler, two GT pro's, and Robinson Pro.

For the rest of 1985 and until the end of 1986, I continued to upgrade my white Firebird Freestyler and had many great times with the lads on our bikes. The riding was good as was the friendship and the laughs.

In late 1986, my 16th birthday arrived together with the need (I thought) of a 50cc Yamaha DT50. So, my beautiful Firebird Freestyler was sold for £70, never to be seen again!

I've bought identical parts to what I had an effectively built my bike again (at a cost of of more than £70)! Does anyone else have any happy memories of early 80's Christmas Days?

Merry Christmas , Mark.  :)
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/speight9587/MyDPFreestler.jpg

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:21 PM by speight9587 »

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Christmas presents 1983
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:52 PM »
christmas 1980 was the year for me, when my dad tricked me into thinking i wasnt getting a bmx and this beauty was waiting....

might have been 1981... 

was the only time i have ever hugged my dad....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:02 AM by meticulous »
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

speight9587

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:33 PM »
 :) You were an early starter compared to me. I'd never even heard of BMX in 1980  :daumenhoch:

Hootski70

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:20 AM »
About a week before christmas 1984 my parents , me and my brother were walking past two wheels in Lye ( West Midlands )and in the window was a nice new cromo burner ( MK1 ) , i was in awe . The only problem was i had been badgering my folks for a chrome burner as that was in the price range i had been told to look , Spen my bro had opted for a mongoose cali F+F from our LBS ( Halesowen cycles ) same price range .
So 3 days before Christmas my mom and dad managed somehow to heroically convince the guys at two wheels to take the new in the box chrome burner from halfords at full price off the price of the cromo burner . :shocked:They then bought the full cali for my bro which Dave at Halesowen cycles was splitting for the F+F .
Christmas eve and my dad is in the back garden striping my brothers Ammaco 202 of all its bit and cleaning my cycle pro ( don't know which model but black with yellow ogk's and a fishgill gusset ) pretending he needs the bits for Spens F+F .
Somehow he and my mom managed to stealth them into our room and place them rad styley on the desks by our beds .
To this day that is the best Christmas morning me and my brother have ever had , and my parents were and still are truely heros . Love you mom and dad .

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17 AM »

i love my mum and dad  :smitten:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Wow, that brought a tear to my eye again bruv - definitely the biggest and best suprise we ever had. Our parents really pulled out the stops that time, I think they worked all year to pay for them as they were twice the budget they told us we could spend!

Yep, we love you mom & dad - I just hope I'm half the parent to my kids you were to us... :smitten: :smitten:

Oh, and it was Christmas day 1983 bruv - by '84 girls were in the equation :2funny: >:D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:31 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 10:18 AM »
got my first bmx crimbo 83,a crappy viceroy from halfords,it cost £99,my tight wad dad wouldnt stretch another £50 to get me the db viper that i was pleading for :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 10:51 AM »
nice story  :daumenhoch:

i love my mom and dad  :smitten:

scary_leary

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 11:23 AM »
[/By mid 1985 the GT pro & Mongosse Cali lads had lost interest in favour of computer gaming]

So true.. me included

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Luckily, I was adopted by a proper BMX crew who's bikes included two 1st gen Haro Freestylers, a Kuwahara Nova, a Torker 280, a Curtis Freestyler, two GT pro's, and Robinson Pro.

Speighty  :)  how are ya mate.  Who was the proper BMX crew? Whas that us !  :D 

I will reply to your PM soon mate  :daumenhoch: Just busy putting batteries in kids toys!!   

speight9587

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 12:38 PM »
Great stories  :daumenhoch:. I knew there would be happy rad Christmas day memories out there  :).

The Burner King

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:17 PM »
My christmas 1982 i got a blue burner by chance.

I had my grifter stolen round about september, and it was insured, and the insurance cheque came through on Christmas eve. Money was tight that year and my main present was going to be Mini munchman which was around £20 - so when the cheque landed on christmas eve, we went straight down to halfords..

I had wanted the the blue burner with yellow tuffs, but the only burner they had left was the blue one with steel wheels.

I know they were crap, but there weren't many bmx's around my place then and i was only 10. I'd seen the Tuff bike in the brochures they gave out in halfords. Best christmas ever  :)

trickydeno

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:47 AM »
christmas 1984 got a super burner.loved it and upgraded through the year....only for it to get nicked  :'( with insurance money bought a dp firebird in all white with mike buff z's.it was proper  :smitten: rode it till late 1987 until beer & girls became more important.unbelievably i gave it away the following year  :crazy2:

i'm currently restoring a dp to my exact spec from bitd...........quality times  :smitten:

and yes mum & dad much  :smitten: always

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Christmas presents 1983

gfxgfx
gfx gfx