gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 03:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old school had its day?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has old school had its day?  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Has old school had its day?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I wouldnt listen to a word a 'shop keeper' has to say.

Dead right, nobheads all of em
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 10:46 AM »
So many years we've tried                                             
/>to keep our love alive
Baby it's over over (over...fade out)

....aarrgh  :D  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:49 AM by fischflo »

jeff spicoli

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 10:47 AM »
If it was Alan woods he organised the first old school meeting in warrington in about 2001 and raced on a Robinson.  He was interested because he had a load of old school stuff to flog and was drumming up interest.  Alan is a business man and to be fair old school bikes are sh1te to ride but if you want to build one up to reminisce thats pretty cool I reckon.

sweetbeats

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Wouldn't take a shop owner's view on Old BMX as gospel or anyone elses for that matter-BMX is mine,It's personal and I like what I like not what someone or the scene dictates.
Most of the Dealers that sold 80's BMX stuff probably got cleaned out years ago for peanuts and live in constant pain when they look at OS on ebay or see OS ticking along nicely without them running the show  :crazy2:

Not instigating violence but I think it would be a good idea to petrol bomb his shop to teach him a little lesson and put the miserable fook out of his old school misery  :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:52 AM by sweetbeats™ »

baldbmxer

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 11:08 AM »

Aye, some have more to offer than others though

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 12:40 PM »

Suppose so.....but there's one special one who has a really nice bum  ;)
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

griff

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58 PM »

are you talking about alan?

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Wouldn't take a shop owner's view on Old BMX as gospel or anyone elses for that matter-BMX is mine,It's personal and I like what I like not what someone or the scene dictates.
Most of the Dealers that sold 80's BMX stuff probably got cleaned out years ago for peanuts and live in constant pain when they look at OS on ebay or see OS ticking along nicely without them running the show  :crazy2:

Not instigating violence but I think it would be a good idea to petrol bomb his shop to teach him a little lesson and put the miserable fook out of his old school misery  :LolLolLolLol:

Your posts always make me smile Jase  ;D
Wanted: Anything MT Racing

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 01:04 PM »
How can old school bmx be dead if we are all on this site talking old school??? as any interest/hobby it has its peeks and troughs. as for the coments about Alans..... yes first and foremost hes a business man who has obviously done very well for him self out of BMX. but before you have a go at the bloke just stop and think for a minute. hes been in bmx from the start. at 16 years of age he had his shop in Hindley and he lived breathed and slept bmx in the early days. and hes never had a "break" from the scean like most of us have on here. Every day in his shop for the past 30 years hes herd tale after tale after tale about bmx . im sure day one week one of any job is good but imagine doing the same thing for 30 years and hearing the same old same old of a bunch of people who dont actually know you but all think they do... so no wonder he has days were he cant be arsed. and before someone says "well get out of bmx then" it makes him shit loads of money and always has . he didnt jump on the band wagon he fookin started it and is the driver.... and heres a thought just to finnish on. how many people on here have now or had bitd a bike built up from Alans ? or more to the point built up by his Father Arthur who could always be found in the shop building up frame sets , building wheels etc.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 01:14 PM »

are you talking about alan?

The love monkey in the middle.....with a very shinny helmet
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:36 PM by Peter J »
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

griff

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 01:21 PM »
How can old school bmx be dead if we are all on this site talking old school??? as any interest/hobby it has its peeks and troughs. as for the coments about Alans..... yes first and foremost hes a business man who has obviously done very well for him self out of BMX. but before you have a go at the bloke just stop and think for a minute. hes been in bmx from the start. at 16 years of age he had his shop in Hindley and he lived breathed and slept bmx in the early days. and hes never had a "break" from the scean like most of us have on here. Every day in his shop for the past 30 years hes herd tale after tale after tale about bmx . im sure day one week one of any job is good but imagine doing the same thing for 30 years and hearing the same old same old of a bunch of people who dont actually know you but all think they do... so no wonder he has days were he cant be arsed. and before someone says "well get out of bmx then" it makes him shit loads of money and always has . he didnt jump on the band wagon he fookin started it and is the driver.... and heres a thought just to finnish on. how many people on here have now or had bitd a bike built up from Alans ? or more to the point built up by his Father Arthur who could always be found in the shop building up frame sets , building wheels etc.

fair comment mr baldie, personally I can't fault him

1) he didn't rip me off like a certain other purveyor of OS bits (won't say who in case another thread starts) in fact he was the cheapest I could find
2) he packed the stuff well and sent it fast
3) he gave me a free inner tube  :daumenhoch:

obviously I can't speak for anyone else but I would def go back there in future if he had any bits that I needed
had good service from mr porkchop too and JT at DP, although the elina saddle should maybe have come with a warning "this saddle/seatpost combo will really hack off half of the people on radbmx.."  ;D

for me OS has just started really (before it was just bmx) my first impressions of this scene are great - lots of genuinely friendly and helpful people have made it a pleasure to get back into it.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 01:34 PM »
 :) I wasn`t trying to slate Alan (if the aforementioned shopkeeper is him),merely asking a question.No surprise if it was as he has been a bit funny with me when I have asked about OS bits.As for the original question-no way has OS had its day.With BMX being huge in the 80s,more older guys will stumble across bikes/bits through E-bay,RAD or some other site.

sweetbeats

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35 PM »

Your posts always make me smile Jase  ;D

^"^

simo27

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 04:24 PM »
It was alan's that put me in touch with this site, didnt know it existed until then, so I owe them a big debt of gratitude for that :)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49 AM »
alans does the best psychedelic bmx packaging

:-\

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 02:10 AM »

apart from the 7 years he stopped and became a record shop

jeff spicoli

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 09:42 AM »
It was an amazing record shop though and he still did bikes and boards . He now has a football shop lol.

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Not sure you should hold Alan to ransome just yet,ive only ever been three times over two years and have
never met him,but each time i went were several kids runnin the place!!so am sure when alan reads this thread he wont be happy :LolLolLolLol:

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Alan did very well out of oldschool back in the early noughties.100 % margin on old Shiner stock was very good business and good luck to him...

Broggie

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2010, 08:13 AM »
We buy OS and are interested in OS because we like it...some people don't

One has to wonder why a shopkeeper who has made a small fortune from the OS scene suddenly decides he doesn't like OS any more....

The most likely explanation is that following getting a name for himself for OS parts  all the 'best' parts have gone and with all the anonymous NS parts on the shelves gathering dust someone is getting desperately depressed...

The door opens and you stroll in, a punter with money hurrah, he licks his lips in anticipation of 'the deal', and then you ask him for something he hasn't got, just like most of the customers that day.

PS.. i t may seem like I'm putting down NS, I'm not....just trying to paint a picture of a desperate man in a silent shop trying to make a living, waking up in the morning after dreaming about making a fortune fooling everyone by welding coaster brake brackets on retro Haro freestyler frames and selling them off to oldschoolers as the real deal...

Reality for some is a bitter pill to swallow.

back to the burner

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 11:35 PM »
wow i do seem to have stabbed the hornets nest with this lol. I do agree with many points on  here regards his attitude and reasoning behind it but.... If a kid with a corsa came into my bodyshop and asked for a shite body kit to be fitted to his "crappy old" corsa and i just ruined him for being into that "scene" then its not right. Firstly i am going to push the customer away on that deal and then any future deals. he can then get on the corsa forum and slam me for my attitude. bottom line is that i dont like working on certain cars but the customer is god and what he says goes. i like to operate where a customer can have what they want even if it is to paint a car pink, BUT i will spend a small amount of time advising. Even if he doesnt have the job done, he will go away thinking that i am a good guy and that i will help him with any future projects or required jobs. this is why i saw my arse because i treat my customers how i would like to be treated.
As for being the king of old school, i know all that, he built a track up in my village when i was a kid and from there he spread his wings. that is why i was amazed as to his attitude regarding OS. Never bite the hand that feeds you!
some of the guys who own or work in the shops try to make out like its rocket science building bmx's, fine if a ltlle kid comes in he may think you are god, but if a guy in his 30's comes in and wants just a refresher and a little advice, dont try blowing smoke up my arse while trying to make me believe that the sun shines out of yours!
anyhoo. hope you guys have had a good xmas lol

si

Online mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 12:40 AM »
Alan helped me put my first bmx in over 10 years together this time 12months ago, built me some wheels up cheaply and brought a box of bits up from his stash for me too choose from, had a good chat with him aswell about his racing days. Thought he was a top bloke. :daumenhoch:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 11:11 AM »
I've just had very good service from Alans. I got some NS cruiser tyres and tubes for cheaper than anywhere else. One tyre was out of stock but I was advised of when it would be back in stock, when it would then be shipped, and also offered options of whether I wanted the order shipped in bits or all together when it was all in stock. I've also had very good advice over the phone in the past. Obviously everyone's had their own experiences, all equally valid but I've been very impressed. Probably the best service I've had from an online store. I know it's a real shop as well but I'm unlikely to vist in person so I count it as an online store.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old school had its day?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx