gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 03:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old school had its day?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has old school had its day?  (Read 6521 times)

back to the burner

Has old school had its day?
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:10 PM »
hi guys, i had to start a post for a number of reasons. as a kid i was mad on bmx's like all of us. so now im in the position to get some of the things i wanted, i decided to build a skyway street beat after coming across one very cheap a couple of years back. had to delay the rebuild yada yada yada.... But now im on it like a ton of bricks. In my quest to get what i need i went to a bike shop near me that has a pretty damn good rep when it comes to old school and NOS products. I went in for advice and to buy some stuff for my skyway. only to get blown away by the guys attitude when i started to ask about cranks and bearing ect, his reply "why do people still want these old pieces of s**t".
I was quite amazed by this as he has made his name and rep on old bikes yet shows them or the guys into them no respect whatsoever.
he was selling stuff left right and center not long back and is still doing a little now, but i was wondering if this seems to be the trend with other retailers and if so is it going to put a cloud over old school in the long term?

sweetbeats

Re: Has old school had its day?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Old School is well and truly Dead - Crappy old pieces of 80's Junk :4_17_5:
Post the shop Owners address I want to send him some flowers and a box of after eights.  :coolsmiley:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:20 PM »
 Is his name Alan?

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:24 PM »
sounds like the poisened ginger Spen to me....

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:26 PM »
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:28 PM »
fook him, who ever he is,  if you need stuff for your builds you can find it on here or bmxrewind or any other of the OS forums  :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:32 PM »
seems to me he's getting more interest in his old schoolstock  rather than his nu skool stock  :LolLolLolLol:

griff

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48 PM »
let's have the name of the shop please my good man  :daumenhoch:
if he hates the stuff so much maybe he will let it go for a decent price!

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Has Radman opened a shop?
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Not seen a "Is Old school dieing " thread for a while  :LolLolLolLol:
But there's always one comes along  ::)

Comments like that could well be from Alans , as he he doesn't have much left apart from chainrings and the like
( I think Snav bought him out  :LolLolLolLol: )
 , much of the stuff Alans would be able to get hold of,, if at all,, would be only be through Shiner's stock  ::)

Obviously every bike shop wants you to buy New school stuff , it's the only thing they can readily get and make a profit on .

Obviously there are still parts to be found in some shops yet to be discovered , but not enough for someone to set up a shop or dedicate a business to

Biagio has the stock , contacts and monopoly for the full time business

Shiner still have stock , but release in a controlled manner , which is good for the hobby's growth

If they set up a site selling there remaining stock ,I'd expect it would all be sold within 12  months

Old school isn't dieing , ending , ebbing or waning .

As said many many many times before , people simply come and go always a buyer for every seller who's selling up  :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:15 PM by Hunterdubber »

back to the burner

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08 AM »
hahaha, some were bang on the money there lol. I dont dispute that NOS is getting thin on the ground but what he fails to realise is that giving 5 mins of your time to somebody who obviously has an interest in bmx's aint gonna hurt when it comes to repeat custom. Yes he may only have chain rings left lol, but i was also eyeing up one of his new shitters for the purpose of chucking round a forest with the kids. But i'd rather give my money to the pie shop round the corner now!
I dont for 1 min think that old school is dead or ever will be, as with cars the classics always exist and are always in demand. but due to his epically shite attitude he not only lost out on selling me a chain ring and some inner tubes  :laugh:, i turned and walked away from a £300+ new skool pretend bmx and vowed never to enter the pie eaters emporium again.
oh and yes it was alans.

griff

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:30 AM »
hahaha, some were bang on the money there lol. I dont dispute that NOS is getting thin on the ground but what he fails to realise is that giving 5 mins of your time to somebody who obviously has an interest in bmx's aint gonna hurt when it comes to repeat custom. Yes he may only have chain rings left lol, but i was also eyeing up one of his new shitters for the purpose of chucking round a forest with the kids. But i'd rather give my money to the pie shop round the corner now!
I dont for 1 min think that old school is dead or ever will be, as with cars the classics always exist and are always in demand. but due to his epically shite attitude he not only lost out on selling me a chain ring and some inner tubes  :laugh:, i turned and walked away from a £300+ new skool pretend bmx and vowed never to enter the pie eaters emporium again.
oh and yes it was alans.

alan gave me a free inner tube with my box of stuff for my old frame, although it was repro stuff  :)

xGoose

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47 AM »
Not really on topic but just reminded me about something I wanted to put out there to try and get your heads around :coolsmiley:

We've got vintage, old school, mid, and new right? But when new (as we know it) becomes older, what do you reckon it will be called? And what will the new 'new' be called?

???

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58 AM »
new gen1  ???

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 01:05 AM »
Not really on topic but just reminded me about something I wanted to put out there to try and get your heads around :coolsmiley:

We've got vintage, old school, mid, and new right? But when new (as we know it) becomes older, what do you reckon it will be called? And what will the new 'new' be called?

???

Well the ,then New  will be called new  :D  ;)

and our current new ,,,when it gets old , I'd expect to be called 'Noughties bike/builds'

like vintage is also 70's,, old also is 80's, mid is also  90's ,

so eventually in another ten years, 80's stuff may move into the vintage category  and so on mid move into old etc
 :)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59 AM »
It's weird because Alan was bang into the old Skool thing and not that long ago.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 07:32 AM »
£££££££££££££££££££  ::)

Intrested for a reason , being one of the first in this country to generate intrest

He is a business man after all  :)

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 07:33 AM »
I think his actual first real love is "twin shock MX " :smitten: :smitten:  :-\

part time

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 07:36 AM »
It must be an extra hassle if you're a shop owner.  I would imagine all your new school stock comes with a rrp so it's easy enough to price it all up and get it shifted.  When you're dealing with second hand and collectible stuff you need to be on the ball to price it right or you'll get robbed or stuck with a load of gear.  
Does Old Skool stuff suit the likes of RADBMX for sale forum and Ebay more than a full time shop?

Having said all that, i'm just an observer on the old skool scene anyway.  I've got a survivor in the garage and spend more than enough keeping my nu skool rides running.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 09:27 AM »
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

gobshite

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:46 AM »
oh and yes it was alans.

the sooner idiots like this lose interest the better for everyone in the o/s scene.

too jealous,too old,too shit to ride syndrome here methinks :LolLolLolLol:

the o\s wont die, theres a good loyal following of folk who actually give a shit about it,

there'll always be the hangers on and lightweights like this bufoon,

we see them come....

we see them go...... :daumenhoch:

sweetbeats

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 09:51 AM »

[/quote]

too jealous,too old,too shit to ride syndrome here methinks :LolLolLolLol:

[/quote]
 :LolLolLolLol:  8)

baldbmxer

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:24 AM »
I wouldnt listen to a word a 'shop keeper' has to say.

Since the late 80's the average 'shop keepr/bike seller' has hated BMX. So many of them are old has been roadies and they love to hate BMX.

I went to the bike show at Earls Court and there was a stand there with loads of old bikes, road, touring and even a prototype carbon Lotus track bike like Chris Boardman's. I was poking around looking at the gear and these two old blokes came over and started to chat, do you like the bikes, do you collect bikes etc etc. When the word BMX came out of my mouth, when I told them I collected OS BMX's, and I asked if they had any BMX bikes from the 70'sor 80's in their museum it was like 'get awf moy laaaaand'  ;D  I kept them there and made them listen, dont know why though.

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27 AM »
If it is Alan (anyone for that matter), they have a right to their opinion, as do we all. :daumenhoch:

I'd rather listen and absorb to what they have to say, whether negative or positive because of them living through the height of the interest during the late 70's and 80's to providing a service for present day customers.

For me oldschool, midschool and newschool are simply terms associated to my lifetime, but as a whole oldschool are collectables until they become Antiques.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35 AM »
oh and yes it was alans.

If you're looking at a new school purchase speak to dave at the RADBMX Shop , he'll help you out  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old school had its day?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx