gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975763 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 06:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Anyone else riding again in their 40s?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anyone else riding again in their 40s?  (Read 22077 times)

In2 bmx

Re: Anyone else riding again in their 40s?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Yep still riding at 42, will carry on as long as my body allows...  :daumenhoch:
x2  :daumenhoch:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 05:04 PM »
all i have ever really rode is freestyle, used to have a blast round the track now and again but only for the jumps. i'm the oldest guy at my local skatepark, and the only person with 2 brakes and 4 pegs. been riding 29 years and never quit and aint plannin on quittin ever. :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 05:21 PM »

are you really only 45 andy  :-\
  :Aresehole:                      :LolLolLolLol:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Nice one folks - that's certainly encouraging to hear.  How many of you stopped in the eighties/nineties and have only started again recently?  And how many of you are riding freestyle?  I'm keen to see if there are any common issues arising from this type of sabbatical that I might encounter (other than a complete lack of ability).  Are you the oldest guy at the skatepark?

Gordy

Rode for a few years in the eighties, packed it in when birds/booze came along

Started again in 2007 when i bought my son a bmx, took him to a local skatepark, a week later i bought an 85 Haro master, a couple of months later i got a new school bike and got shut of the master

Ride indoor parks a couple of times a months and do the odd os race in the summer

A mate that rides with us along with his son is in his fifties, so im not the oldest

My advise on riding skateparks, just take your time and learn at your own pace/ability, dont worry bout what the young un's think, get to know em and you'll find most of em are sound and have a lot of respect for us oldies...  :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 08:37 PM »
almost 41 and still trying to learn my first trick lol

welsh denny

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 09:44 PM »
40 next year and still loving it.

been riding 26 years now minus  injury time. knee ruined now -has been for last 9 years but still do double decades, backwards barspin infinity rolls, backyards

and various other flatland moves- not the new skool disco moves though- my knee can't take it. ramps i had to quit as can't kneeslide  out of a crash. :'(

do a lot of photography and filming to keep me involved but always get the urge to bust a few moves.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigbadsam

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • THEY CALL ME THE BEAR !
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 12:18 AM »
am 41 an just getting back into bmx, i've rode mtb for years on and off. bit of free riding bit of downhill. back in the day i was the best rider out of my mates, mainly because i was bigger than them and had little or no fear back then. also if you dared me to do "anything" i'd have a go !  :idiot2:
RADPORT 4TH August
Southport - Leo's Bar Midday onwards

bmxer4ever

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Nice one folks - that's certainly encouraging to hear.  How many of you stopped in the eighties/nineties and have only started again recently?  And how many of you are riding freestyle?  I'm keen to see if there are any common issues arising from this type of sabbatical that I might encounter (other than a complete lack of ability).  Are you the oldest guy at the skatepark?
Gordy

Usually! Never really stopped, just slowed down. 42 next Feb. Look up the Old Fools roadtrips.
This pic's from OF#7

spleen1970

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Have,nt been on here for while but  got back into bmx,ing few years back after 20 or so years out my son got me back into it !
Im 41 next april & have no intentions of giving up get out on mine as often as i can  :daumenhoch:

Hootski70

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16 PM »
40 years young , stopped riding in the 80's but dug out my MK1 cromo burner so a ex-girlfriend could 'look cool ' on it . Girlfriend went bike stayed , found one for my brother's 30th (12 years ago ) and have tried wood , dirt and concrete ever since . Got a 4 week old son so need to keep riding untill he can  :daumenhoch:

BMX20

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Sounds like we have a reasonable gang of like minded 40 somethings!  I'm glad it's not just me.  The Old Fools' Roadtrips sound like a lot of fun - what's the gen on these and when's the next one?  I'm itching to get out there and give it a go.

Gordy

Offline Finny

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 09:36 AM »
41 now and stopped riding bmx freestyle back in 85' went onto motorbikes (trials freestyle) and became world champion, just retired although I'm just in the process of making my 3rd video "Trick Wizard 3" and also a training Video, I purchased Juan Mattos from BMX-Addicts 1984 Eddie Fiola Winterland Gt Performer, its a show piece, too nice to ride, so I am building an exact ride version, cannot wait to finish it and get back on a BMX after 25 years.

Met some great guys on here, and hope to get to one of the meets!!

Us BMXers never get Old ;)

regards
-Jason Finn
www.jasonfinn.com
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:41 AM by FINNY(uk) »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Jason Finn, bloody hell....

I've not long been riding trials (I have an old Mont 315), after getting fed up with having MX bikes nicked     :knuppel2:

I had a good session a while ago with Steve Monk - he's a good lad  :daumenhoch:

Anyhow Gordy, I ride almost exclusively with people way younger than me (I'm 44), and the one thing I've learnt over the years is that the vast majority of these kids are completely cool as long as they see you trying hard and not looking down your nose at them.

Get your bike fettled, get padded up and go riding anywhere you like. After a self concious first few minutes you'll be fine  :)

I might see you at Corby, but failing that, give me a shout and come down to Rom for a ride one Sunday morning or summat. I'll show you a few lines round the place that should get you grinning.

BMX20

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Sounds like a plan TwoBob - I'm pretty sure my Tuffs will arrive by the 15th, and they're the last bits I'm waiting for so I should be there at Corby.  Failing that, like you say a blast around Rom sounds like a laugh too, although mostly for the people watching where I'm concerned!

Gordy

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 05:20 PM »
You'll be fine mate  :daumenhoch:

BMX20

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 06:36 PM »
They're heeeeeeere (as said by Carole-Ann in Poltergeist...)

Been out on it tonight and all is well.  There are a few observations though:

God it's hard work - everything except my legs hurts ( and there's a big blister on my hand).  Normally when I come in from a ride it's the other way round!

Everything needs to be done up so tight.  The bars, stem and seatpost all moved - having spent my last 5 years gently tweaking things on carbon road bikes, that was a bit of an eye-opener.

Everything is much more difficult than I remember, though I did manage a wheelie, an endo or two, a rockwalk and almost pulled off a framewhip.

See you at Corby!

Gordy

griff

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 06:51 PM »
nice one gordy - see you on the 15th!  :daumenhoch:

Al Wyn

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Looking good there Gordy...are you running a coaster? cant quite see. Been on my boys Christmas prezzie GT for another 15 mins and im really missing the coaster braked skyways i used to run on my bmxs 25 odd years ago...my endos to roll back 540s are suffering big time atm lol.

rosscoe

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 07:57 PM »
44 soon.....did a bit back then......stopped to get drunk for a few years then carried on trying    :idiot2:   ....run my own park........get a wee bit of respect from the young uns.....but more for what I do than where Ive been......remember............ Lifes a Sandpit........

BMX20

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Yeah I'm riding a coaster, though it took me only a few minutes to remember the knee pain that comes from forgetting I'm riding a coaster. Luckily pain is a good incentive to learn!

Gordy

Offline Finny

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Jason Finn, bloody hell....

I've not long been riding trials (I have an old Mont 315), after getting fed up with having MX bikes nicked     :knuppel2:

I had a good session a while ago with Steve Monk - he's a good lad  :daumenhoch:

Anyhow Gordy, I ride almost exclusively with people way younger than me (I'm 44), and the one thing I've learnt over the years is that the vast majority of these kids are completely cool as long as they see you trying hard and not looking down your nose at them.

Get your bike fettled, get padded up and go riding anywhere you like. After a self concious first few minutes you'll be fine  :)

I might see you at Corby, but failing that, give me a shout and come down to Rom for a ride one Sunday morning or summat. I'll show you a few lines round the place that should get you grinning.

TwoBobRob

The 315 was an ace bike, I rode For Montesa from '98 til 2009, they did not miss a beat, I done a World record jump on my 315 in 2003 jumping 23 people with no ramp, give me a PM if you fancy coming to Walderslade for a practise.

Pleas Send my regards to Steve Monk (Monkey)

all the best
-Jas
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:28 PM by FINNY(uk) »

northern dean

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27 PM »
I am 40 and still ride.
I started riding in 1982.
I rode freestyle in the 80's
I took a break from riding between  88 and 92.
Have rode often during last ten years and still progressing.
BMX rules.
Next Old fools  is in Leeds 24,25 April.
Dean

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 12:00 AM »
Next Old fools  is in Leeds 24,25 April

Mmmm, that's just up the road from me >:D :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

LENNY-LENTINI

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Hello Brothers.

I'm 39 and still riding and loving it.

My 3 Top tips for riding again:

Watch new school vids enjoy but don't take any notice of them because they bare no relation to how we used to ride.

Go to your Local skatepark very early in the morning to avoid the young riders/anyone else while your getting back into it cos they have an irritating habit of following you all round the skatepark and doing loads of flipitty flip whip tricks in front of you.

lastly go on BMXDB and watch vids from our era to get you psyched and meet up with like minded Old/Mid skoolers and you'll have the best time of your life.

Keep the faith.L

griff

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2011, 07:46 PM »

meet up with like minded Old/Mid skoolers and you'll have the best time of your life.

^ what lenny said

lenny was good chatting with you at corby - shame you're not on the list for creation so you can see me fall off again  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Anyone else riding again in their 40s?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx