gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear hubs and brakes...questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rear hubs and brakes...questions  (Read 512 times)

Al Wyn

Rear hubs and brakes...questions
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Firstly rear hubs... enlighten me please... not having riden for over 20 years and im looking at various options of building some kind of hybrid mess about BMX up atm...anyway whilst watching a vid  noticed a guy roll back with pedals level ala old school coaster but he definately didnt have a coaster brake? what hubs that then? im not a big fan of the loud clicky freewheels the modern bikes have atm but what options are there out there? I rode coasters for ground and ramps and whatever i end up riding will have at least a  front and rear caliper lever set up (plus possibly a coaster)
Secondly brake calipers... i do have a GT Vertigo bright red and black that is part built i bought recently without a front brake or wheels on it... whats the best sensibly priced front calipers out there atm? something that will be doing a few front hops without slipping and seeing a slightly overweight 40 year old going straight over the bars or worse? help an old fool lol

Bettyswallocks

Re: Rear hubs and brakes...questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:05 PM »
You've seen someone using a freecoaster hub, basically a coaster hub with the brake removed...  :daumenhoch:

How old is the bike you want brakes for, has it got brake lugs on the frame or forks?

Al Wyn

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:14 PM »
That makes sense Betty iirc its about a 2007ish GT Vertigo with the lugs on the forks.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:37 PM »
DC Hombre u brakes will be ok dude, assuming the forks top cap has a hole big enough to pass a cable through

Readily available and front or rear specific with all the gubbins you need

Get linear cables while you're at it...  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear hubs and brakes...questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx