gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  HELP NEEDED
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED  (Read 885 times)

curtispro

HELP NEEDED
« on: December 20, 2010, 03:32 PM »
My sons 2010 Redline flight has a problem, the rear drive has gone !!! how do you get the cog off to get to the Pawls to service them, I suspect that they have frozen ? he has a training session in the morning weather permitting  (bikes only 2 months old) do I need a chain wrench or something?

Thanks in advance

Jon

xGoose

Re: HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:42 PM »
If its a cassette hub you'll need a chain whip and the tool with the correct amount of splines to undo the lock nut.

This might help mate.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cassette-and-freewheel-removal

curtispro

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:46 PM »
It looks like the retaining nut has two flats on it 3rd one down in the pic

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/components/hubs

xGoose

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Cant say for sure as Ive never worked on one them but it looks like you just need a wrench big enough for the flats and a chain whip.

curtispro

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Thanks goose, will give it a go when I get home, I will have to make a whip with some chain and a broom handle  :daumenhoch:  I take it once thats off it will all be plain sailing from there  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:09 PM »
If you believe the pawls are frozen just take the wheel indoors and heat the hub with a hairdrier and keep rotating cog back and forth until you hear it begin to click again. If that doesnt work then it may be something more sinister and you will need to strip it down.

To remove the cog you will need a chain whip and 36mm spanner I believe. Removing the cassette is the unknown as I haven't worked on redline hubs. I would have a guess that you will need to remove cone nuts from axle and then using a rubber mallet knock the axle through to push the cassette of the other side.

With the likes of Profile hubs once the axle spacers are off the cassette just slides off. I dont think this will be a simple. If you are still having trouble post up some pics of the hub and will see what we can work out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:11 PM by kuwahero »

xGoose

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 04:14 PM »
^ yep I agree with this. I normally just need those tools to swap cogs out but to actually get inside to work on pawls etc. Not sure.. Good luck tho!  :daumenhoch:

curtispro

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:19 PM »
Thanks  kuwahero,  I did get it working yesterday by flicking it back and forth but he has rung me today to say its stopped again, will look when I get home, have spoke to Chain Reaction Cycles and they want me to send the wheel back ! we have a meeting on the 9th Jan so can't risk it.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:14 PM »
 :) Kuwahero has it right.I have a Flight cassette hub and you just need a big enough spanner .If narrow enough you can loosen the lockring (turn anti-clockwise) while it`s still on the bike and keep pressure on the pedal to stop the chain turning backwards,so no need for a chainwhip.Ideally try a squirt or 2 of GT85 before you strip it down.

curtispro

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Thanks guys, got some heat on it and all seem fine, he must have got it soaked when he cleaned it after the last race and it froze in the shed, should hold up for tomorrow or it could be a comedy moment resulting in a crash :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  HELP NEEDED

gfxgfx
gfx gfx